Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Any update on the injured players? Mullen and Cody would be a huge loss. I do like the look of Owen Wall, he brings a bit of pace and has an eye for goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Not a huge amount to be taken from such a win but just a few notes.

Murph took a fair slap to the head just before half time and I'm assuming it was a concussion or precaution to sub him off for Tallis who did well on the puckouts he didn't have much else to do.

Butler was a bit rust but made plenty of runs up the field most didn't yield much.

Deegan was not minding the house as much as I would like and the Antrim CB made loads of runs through the middle and usually got to our 45 before meeting much resistance. Antrim were practicing a running hand-passing up the field style before the match and they utilised it lots of times to get through our midfield and half back line, with better players they could have really punished us. We seem to be poor at tracking the runners and need to be sharper to it, Wexford and Limerick get a lot of joy against us using similar style.

Carey started well and was good in the first half but faded a fair bit in the second half but still a decent performance.

While Kenny played well between himself, R Reid and Deegan the middle was far too open for my liking. Richie and Paddy in fairness along with the likes of Blanch were hitting in far better ball into the forwards with a much lower trajectory. I can only remember a few balls going forward with snow on them. Paddy took a few long range shots in the second half which Lyng called him out on.

Mullen started off well and was willing to pass the ball thankfully, I'm assuming he had a niggle going into the game cause the physio and doc didn't lay a hand on him and he came off a few minutes later. Cody looked like he was shot on the edge of the square and seemed to be in a fair bit of pain and was hobbling badly when he came off initially by the time he got back to the dug out the hobble was almost gone. I'd be surprised if either started against Galway unless their 100%. It's just a game that shouldn't matter so no need to aggravate an injury further and will keep Henry guessing a bit for a Leinster final.

Phelan had a poor enough day and looked very very rusty, hopefully that will bring him on a ton. Mossy was decent and Gearoid Dunne took a little while to settle but got going in the second half it won't do his confidence any harm. Owen Wall did really well and with his pace he really punished the Antrim backs and it was refreshing to see a lad take a shot on goal from so far out and also aim it for the corners not straight at the keeper. He finished all his chances well, there will be bigger and better defenders the next day but again it won't do his confidence any harm. B Drennan started off poor when he came on hit a wide or two from play and a placed ball but then he hit a bit of a groove and lashed over a good few points and took his penalty well too.

Nothing else to learn that we didn't already know. Overall happy enough but there are bigger tests ahead and we'll see how they go then.

As an aside the commentator on the Sunday game for our match was absolutely farcical, he mentioned Timmy Clifford at least 3 times (he wasn't even on the panel for Sunday) and almost every player he named bar TJ and Owen Wall were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Thank you, There wont be any all Ireland with Deegan at 6. He was very poor in the club final v the Galway team, maybe i am being harsh but he is all about himself, long range shots, runs up the field, going up for high balls and taking out his on players, he needs to play deeper. We have not been good enough the last 10 years because of players like Deegan, Richie Reid, Conor Fogarty etc. , i know we do not have the replacements in place yet but they are coming. But if the players i mentioned are playing i do not see us winning an All Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

what’s going to Salthill like for matches ? Is it a night mare to get in and out off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Not much to add about last sundays match. There wasnt much to gain only the few injuries we picked up. A couple of quare decisions with the panel that was picked. Kevin blanch done alright all league but was dropped from the squad and killian doyle came from no where.This was a game crying out for a few fringe players to start.

Injuries can absolutely have in training i know that but starting 12 of last years all ireland team against antrim was a bit mad when you consider the schedule thats in front of us. Hopefully scruff and mullen were more precautionary but eoin cody is definitely in a boot and has to be a big doubt for sunday. The jury is very much out at center back henry will absolutely target this and if deegan goes walk abouts sunday we could be in big bother. Not ideal when you see holes in your defense last sunday. We will probably see glynn at some stage aswell. We will have a much better idea where we are sunday. I do like owen wall and he is a top of the ground hurler. He definitely deserves a go.

As others have said finally we are getting things together at underage. No one will get carried away after one match but we havent beaten galway at minor since 2010. Richie dollards son at 6 is a really classy center back. Great positioning and great delivery. He could be our center back in a few years hopefully. Some really good hurlers in that team mullen is a spit of adrian. Hopefully the hard work continues and we cant stay still we have to work really hard and the future will be bright. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 black and amber rock

Is Kevin blanchfield dropped from the panel or just the match day squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Murphy concussion will have to go through protocol may miss 2 weeks.

Mullen quad

And cody ankle.

None will feature next week

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mooz

Yes, most definitely. My advice if you are travelling up and down Sunday is to go early and give yourself plenty of time as Galway traffic is generally very slow and worse for big games. The east Galway hurling heartland is going in the same roads we take so expect long delays. Some people park in town and walk out but it's about a 20/25 min walk. Alternatively, you could get a bus out but they'll be busy so allow time for waiting for extra buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

As stated, getting from the city centre out to Salthill is the most difficult part. Depending on timetables, you could park at the Oranmore stop, free parking, (or even Athenry, not free during week, don't know about Sundays) and get the train into Eyre sq. A bus from there would get you out but there are no real bus lanes so is subject to the same traffic as the cars. If you must drive, if you know it well, driving through the heart of the city can be just as quick as taking periphery roads.

I'd say about 15K on Sunday will be the attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

Got stand tickets for Pearse Stadium Sunday in Super Valu yesterday, numbered seats.

Friend got his online and says unreserved seating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Got season ticket ones and they are not allocated seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Dean Mason has been brought in so Murphy is out for the weekend anyway. As has been said previously I doubt the two Ballyhale lads will play if theres any doubt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny forwards look weak if they are missing Cody and Mullen. A possible starting line up of TJ, Donnelly, Keoghan, Ryan, Wall and Phelan wouldn't frighten anyone. Subs Drennan, Dunne, Hogan, Clifford?

Post edited by blackcard on

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Great to hear that players on the extended panel with the minors were allowed play with their clubs on Monday night. Common sense prevailed for a change. It’s a very strong panel with loads of competition for places, so hopefully Saturday will go well in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

He is still on the panel. He just didnt make the match day squad last sunday.

Alot of people have being looking for a change of keeper so it will be intresting to see how tallis will go sunday especially with puckouts. This will be a big day for him. He was outstanding against galway u20 two years ago saving two penalties. They will have time to work on things this week. Hopefully it will go well for him. Fair play to dean mason aswell accepting the call up. He would do a job in goal sunday aswell if he was asked.

Most of us agreed derek is a bit safe and last weekend starting so many regulars but its unlucky to lose 3 starters in one half of hurling nearly.Every team will have injuries and we will get on with it but its just a pity two of them are fowards and we arent blessed in this department. Both teams will go at it like they always do. We have a poor enough record in salthill. The two lads missing gives galway the upperhand and they will want to get that leinster final out of their head and get a win over kk.

Last year henry went after darragh Corcoran and tommy walsh in the leinster final and conor whelan kept moving and caused us all kinds of trouble. Will butler pick up whelan?Could deegan now go up to the fowards with the two lads missing ? Unlikely but i would jig the team around and push him up. If deegan is 6 he will have to play much smarter this weekend,not 3 lads going for one ball and taking out their own player.Galway will go after him and try pull him out of 6 so he needs to defend first and foremost and not leave huge holes in defense.This is such a important position.They could test out tallis in goal and shane murphy.

Hopefully the game last weekend brings on tom phelan because he has missed alot of hurling and it can be harder recover from injury when ya get that little bit older. We desperately need a foward or two to put their hand up.You would expect he will go with safety first and the fowards will be phelan,donnelly,ryan,mossy,tj and maybe georoid dunne who is hurling well at the moment. Owen wall and drennan will be thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Perfect game to throw Deegan in centre forward and let him roam around as much as he likes… the exact opposite to what we need him to do in the exact opposite position on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

well I agree with that but even placing him at midfield his aimless clearances would end up in the forward line where damage to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Haven't watched it yet - but it seams to cover a more technical scenario oriented analysis of the games

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

. Please delete

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

A bigger load of whining nonsense and complete wrong "analysis" lol I'm not sure I've ever seen here on boards. What a joke. Is there anyone worthy of playing for KK? Anything redeeming about their fans? What a useless comment.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Absolutely. Switched on the ignore button for a number of such negative posters in recent times. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Galway team announced. Shefflin going all out. J Glynn in subs. Hurry back Walter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

minor v Wexford

Ridiculous time to have it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Drennan or Dunne should be starting instead of Ryan. Flogging a dead horse at this stage.

• Advertisement

Mikey carey has a foot injury aswell. God that amtrim match was a disaster. No suprises with the team. Big one for tallis but he is a good keeper. Id be more afraid of deegan going walk abouts.

Advertisement