Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

I'd have no problem bringing neary in. A very good hurler and I'd be surprised if he doesn't nail down a corner back spot over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

The form line to senior (and even u20) since minor went to U17 is now disastrous.

Only a pitiful few of the marquee names on minor teams have made it through to starting senior places.

Offaly were beaten by 13 points by us at minor in 2021, we were then well beaten by Galway who were then hosed by a Cork team that looked like it was a team for the ages. Fast forward 3 years, Cork looked an average outfit and Offaly are AI champions.

A few of the minor matches I’ve seen of late; I’ve been struck at how they have been reffed. Almost no physical contact is allowed, and almost every contact hurl on hurl is blown as a free. The Celtic Challenge final reffed by James Owens was reffed like an u13 match.

Fast forward 12 months and they won’t be getting anything as soft in schools A hurling in poor weather, and fast forward another 12 months and they won’t get a sniff of the sort of free they were getting at minor in the attritional Fitzgibbon.

Conversely, the liberal approach to steps and throwing prevalent at senior is at absolutely pisstake levels at minor.

Is this a major factor in seeing the failure of star minors progressing in recent years?

The non attritional nature of the game and the non-penalisation of steps and throwing making admittedly skilful young players look better than they actually are.

Btw, I have always felt the Cork 2021 minor team that we were all gasping at, might be overrated. Good for sure but drilled to an inch of their lives, it was all good touch and movement and patterns, but almost no contact. If they were as lethal as they looked 3 years ago, you'd expect at least two them to be starting for Cork by now and maybe 2/3 more on the 26.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Jaysus I’d have to say I thought that on Sunday with Owen’s your spot on,Croke park want everyone included and no one to get hit with a hurl. “ clash of the ash “ me bollox .

Hard to believe the munster and leinster finals are on this weekend. No media day and not a word about either match. I don't know what the big deal is with no media day because reporters aren't going to ask players about gameplans or tactics or who will be marking who. People don't know hurlers anymore. Its not a big job to do a zoom thing now.The year will be all over in a few weeks.It was refreshing to see offaly have a media day the week before it and it didn't bother them how they played the following week and no inappropriate questions were asked. I don't think enough is being done to promote the game. This weekend is a joke

Michael o Donohoe will have dublin spot on for this but you feel they nearly have to be further ahead when playing kk because they have a habit of not closing games out against us.kk aren't hurling well but still doing enough keeping our noses in front and wexford or galway would take our two hands to be in our position. Theres a few teams that are tailored to be hitting top gear in a few weeks and kk are in that bracket. Kk will have learned how Dublin played in parnell Park starting their attack from deep and running it out and Burke peeling off for a simple score. Crummy is very accurate so he will have to be pinned back.

Galway made the mistake of not marking Burke which is a big no no. He clipped deegan for a few points in parnell when deegan was in 2 minds to twist or stick. Maybe butler should pick Burke up and try get him running the opposite way but we definitely cant leave him loose he will destroy you.Obviously Dublin have a few class defenders like eoghan o donnell but we would be hoping to get some of our forwards isolated inside on less experienced lads.Dublin have lacked killer forwards but the game they play is a running game and their midfielders have chipped in with good scoring along with crummy who can do serious harm.

Kk will have to be tuned in and have their homework done.The couple of injuries aren't ideal but we could see donnelly playin and Mullen will be a serious addition. He brings massive workrate. He had a few disappointing performances in croke Park recently he will want to get his season back on track. Hopefully Jordan molloy will be recovered he could be a option. Team will be out in the morning so best of luck to everyone. It would be nice to win a leinster not hurling well and no one talking about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

This split season rubbish has to end. It's benefitting nobody and is doing real damage to our games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Village87

I disagree, it has been a fantastic couple of months hurling. with plenty of big games left Then we can all look forward to club games from August to October. The real hurling fans are getting as much hurling as they like.

If you are looking for anyone to blame it should be intercounty managers, banning media days, closed doors for training, not letting players play for clubs etc. they have drove the GAA to this situation.

Long may the split season last and the clubs thrive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Don't see the problem there myself, other than the Davin Stand being €100 (it shouldn't be more than €70). It's a blue riband event, the ultimate game. It's also a once a year event, and unless you're very lucky, it's not something you'll be doing every year. Of course it's going to be expensive.

Considering the rise in costs in recent years, it's not as if the GAA are immune to it either.

And not for nothing, for the most part throughout the year, tickets are (relatively) cheap for matches, with children's tickets costing €5 or so up until the AISF.

And generally the ones doing the complaining are the ones that only turn up until Croke Park. Complain about the cost of an AI ticket, but then don't darken the door of a ground for a league match the following season.

Or maybe perhaps introduce a reward system? Say, increase the price of a ticket to €120, but you get a fiver off for every championship match you attended through out the season? A fair compromise.

And to be honest, it's well down the my list of concerns in the GAA. I'd be far more concerned about that they don't seem to be planning to do about the rampant throwing/steps/barging/dragging/illegal hurley size/lack of promotion destroying the game of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Great to see our management team allowing panel players to play with their clubs. Both Blanchfields, T Clifford and P Moylon played in the Bridge v Boro match last week. Also, the players are seen out on the town enjoying themselves at night over the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

There's nothing wrong with the split season.

It's the pi55 poor promotion and competition structure for the bloated inter-county scene that's the real damage to our games. Where's the media/social media presence? Non-existent. Absolutely shocking highlights reels, and none for social media like every other sport does. Where's the interviews with players/managers? Why don't the GAA insist on a magazine show as part of TV rights? Wouldn't that

As for the inter-county scene, add more games, you get pressed for time. Simple as that. The GAA have added into championship more games than ever, what did they think was going to happen? The inter-county scene has January-July to run itself off, and unlike at club level, both codes can be run together at the same time until the AI knockout phase.

The clubs have their time, August to December. Counties have altered their competitions to suit, and most counties are complimenting both codes, as well as more teams in their competitions. And they get it done in three months in time for the club championships.

Hurling is changing the league format, yet again, and yet again undermining it, and we'll be told throughout it by the talking heads that the only thing that matters is the Championship. You can't complain of being stuck for time if at the same time you're writing off half the season as an irrelevance.

It's the shocking use of the time available, terrible competition structures and utterly useless promotion of the sport that are the problem.

All the split season does is guarantee clubs access to their players in a season bloated by the inter-county demands. And if the inter-county season is demanding more, it can deal with what it demands on it's own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

I don't necessarily mind the All-Ireland Final price increase as the demand is there for it and while the lack of tiered prices is a bit annoying with the way the GAA distributes tickets to clubs probably makes that logistically tricky.

However price increases for the Semi Finals and the Quarter Finals are frustrating as if your team is lucky enough to get to the final you'll have also endured increases for one match if you're lucky enough to get through directly to the semi final in Hurling but at least two increases for football and possibly for Hurling also. Also this nonsense of giving €5 off tickets for the preliminary quarter finals for the Tailteann Cup for club members and saying that's one way we tried to make tickets cheaper for fans is an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

That's fine for kilkenny but other counties have to try and fit football into their schedule as well. It's just not working. Crazy rush to shoehorn everything in to a few months. August has to be brought back for inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

How does taking another month away from the clubs help them finish their football championships?

A bit off topic but definitely a bit of food for thought. Alot of people here agree lyng is very Conservative and he is still using the pool of players Cody had and the same pool of players that has come up short in 4 finals in the last 2 years against limerick. This is the last push for a lot of players and we will probably see a repeat of 2014 where alot of lads will go. We look at galway and tipp at the moment and they have squeezed every last drop out of their teams and now there's a big rebuild on in both county's. I Know teams evolve every year and players will always come and go but lyng is also squeezing every last drop out of the team cody had 2 years ago.The new lads we are trying are usually the first to get dropped and older players are brought in.Lyng needed to put his own stamp on this team and at the moment I don't see much difference in the style of play. Puckouts are getting a small bit better but they have being cruel altogether.I'm not going to name out all the players who will almost definitely retire from county in a few weeks but we need to be integrating more players.TJ is a unbelievable free taker. Coming out a hundred yards slowing things down and is so reliable. We take it for granted but we don't have a ready made replacement that's a very reliable freetaker. Margins are so small lee chin missed a important free the last day and tj came out afterwards and against the wind sailed one over the bar and momentum had swung again.Hopefully drennan can get a bit of form but there's no way a county team can afford to carry a player just to hit frees.Eoin cody isn't a natural freetaker. it's getting harder for younger lads to make the breakthrough straight from u20. You could count out the few who have made a fairly seamlessly transition although it is probably easier come into a settled or winning team. We will just have to have patience and get experience and gametime into these players.i remember Liam Collins for galway u20 a few years ago absolutely destroy defences but he looked like a u14 hurler when he came on for the seniors. Cyril Farnell said he tried too hard to bulk up over the winter and got set back after setback. I think we need to be careful and not be so safe.It backfired starting wally in the all ireland.He needs to take risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KILvDUB

EMurphy

MButler HLawlor TWalsh

DBlanchfield RReid MCarey

CKenny PDeegan

AMullen TJReid JDonnelly

MKeoghan BRyan ECody

Subs

ATallis

CDelaney

SMurphy

JMolloy

CBuckley

CFogarty

TPhelan

WWalsh

OWall

HShine

BDrennan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Best looking team and bench we have had all year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

You wouldn't want to be listening to the grapevine in here pre team selections! Good to see Carey and Donnelly both named and Adrian back again. Strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I wouldn't take it as a given that that team will lineout. Hopefully it does and everyone is fit and able to perform. Good to have Molloy back on the bench as well and Phelan is a good option there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Hard to see Carey starting but as you say if that team does take the field hopefully all get through it okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The tickets on ticketmaster haven't been the best all week, do you think it's better to take what's up now or wait and see if they get any better tonight or in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

what about our player of the year Shane Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Justin10

Loads of decent tickets got released yesterday and got snapped up.

Probably easiest to just buy what's there and then move seats when some laois and Offaly fans leave after their game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The national press, such as John Fogarty, pick up their info from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Some really good tickets just became available in section 306 (including juvenile tickets in that section), just grabbed mine there.

Some unreal tickets in 331, 332 and 333 there now. Raging I bought Wednesday as figured it didn't look like it would get better

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mooz

I'm the exact same, raging I bought on Thursday and had been holding off for middle sections…very sneaky the way they do that

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

I got 306 tickets today after checking several times.

Ticketmaster are worse than a disgrace and the Gaa need to cop on to this.

I presume they're tickets sent back by county boards being transferred to Ticketmaster as they become available. Seriously doubt they're holding back good ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

Have you ever bought concert tickets through the scum that is ticketmaster.....same sh!t

Advertisement