Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I actually think it's a good sign ye have a settled team, if ye had an ageing team it wouldn't but TJ aside the age profile is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

Great win last night, in the first half when the game was there to be one Kilkenny were excellent hunting in packs, good movement,giving the pass to the man in the best position and the shooting was very good the match was over at halftime.You can only play what's in front of you but as many have said it's hard to believe just how awful Dublin were,the difference in the space of three weeks was very difficult to understand,every Kilkenny player had so much time on the ball there was no tackles or hits from Dublin and Richie Reid and Adrian Mullen had the freedom of Croke park,hard to see were Dublin go from here.

Into the semis now and we will have to wait to see who we are playing ,nice break as well,it was interesting after the match to hear Paddy Deegan say that the team felt a bit disrespected coming into the game maybe it was all the negativity after the Carlow draw or maybe it's the media's constent narrative that Clare are the only team who can take down Limerick there was an article in the Irish Eaxminer only yesterday saying how Clare are the only team Limerick fear and how Clare are the second best team in Ireland despite us beating them twice in All Ireland semis,I suppose it just plays into the media's oppsession with the muster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Village87

I don't know where he was going with his opinion of John Donnelly and Mossy. 2 of them have been absolutely outstanding all year. John Donnelly in hurler of the year form

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You could see yesterday he wasn't completely comfortable with the thumb injury and I thought he would have been rested 10 minutes into the 2nd half. He has been excellent all year for us, coming up with crucial scores when it mattered

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

Great win last night. Not really sure what Dublins plan was.....but I don't think it mattered even if they had executed it, as we were excellent. Very clinical performance from everyone.

Well done to Derek Lyng and the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Have to admit I wasn't at the game yesterday (sorry Marooned 😁) but I think it was terrible of RTE to cut to a break just as paddy was going to make his speech and never went back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I thought the same re John Donnelly, his work rate was still very good and he clipped over a few scores but he definitely appeared to be a bit tentative in the tackle and going into rucks which is very understandable.

It’s an awful shame he picked up that feckin injury, he was our hurler of the year up to now and was playing with huge confidence. A drop off of a couple of percent is huge at this level though and it’s definitely a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Dublin were hopeless last night and have been for the last 10 years one good game and the media build them up and they flop

Lots of busy hurlers running around like headless chickens taking 3 4 and 5 passes to many there build up play broke down so many times they didn’t seem to able to change and go more direct to salvage a bit of pride and get a few goals

Very frustrating to watch

I would describe out performance as very efficient passing shooting was very sharp very few wides Mullen was immense cian Kenny is really growing into a leader around the middle

I know Dublin gave us more space but we were very patient in working the ball back across the field and recycling

It was strange that the bench wasn’t emptied with 10 mins to go I know Wally Is short of game time but as others have said it would have been ideal to get more game time in the younger players no need for Tj to be playing a full game being that far ahead

Another few weeks to work on things and get everyone up to speed and recovered and we should be razor sharp for the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah no sign of them skipping a moment of the speech today. Maybe deegan isn't too far wrong talking about the kk team being disrespected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Not so much Kilkenny being disrepected. The whole Leinster Championship is disrepected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Clare after doing a Kilkenny on it v limerick in last years all ireland. If teams continue to go long Limerick will get their 5 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

The bench was emptied as we made the five subs, it was more that Wally and Fogarty were brought on instead of some of our younger less experienced players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭MfMan

Presuming Cork win their next 2 games and Wexford beat Laois and then Clare, does it make it an open draw for the semis or would avoidance of repeat meetings kick in? Could be a Cork - Kilkenny semi-final yet?

I'd imagine it would be Kk v Cork and Lim v Wex. Avoiding repeat fixtures

Exactly I think different changes could have been made earlier and different players taken off we know what fogarty and Wally offer as you say

Obviously the younger players are not stepping up. Lyng knows he potentially needs Wally and Fogarty later in the year, young lads must not be up to much.

That seems to be the case we’ve got sweet fu k all from out u20 winning all Ireland team despite some of the panel nearly playing 3 years under 20 I know the step is much bigger now as most players aren’t breaking onto inter county starting 15s until 23 or 24 unless you have someone like o brien who started for Limerick today

It has to be worrying going forward as there will be a few retirements this year similar to 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

I wouldn't be overly worried about any of the u20 all Ireland winning team not making a break through yet, to be fair in my opinion there to young to be in there in the first place,Brian Cody never used U21 payers for the senior squad no matter who they were and some of them went on to be All stars and multiple All Ireland winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Cody used lots of U21s not just as squad members but as starters

Henry, Hickey, Kavanagh, Delaney, Cha, R Power, R Hogan, TJ, John Tennyson, Eoin Larkin Adrian Mullen, Eoin Cody all started senior champ matches while u21.

Cody himself started an AI final at barely 19 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biglad40isback

I don’t get this limerick fear Clare narrative. It’s like the Galway will put it up limerick physically when they meet opinion.

Reality is limerick have embarrassed Galway physically since Seamus Flanagan knocked gmac on his behind in 2018 final

ref Clare , 3 final losses to limerick and beaten at home in the round robin this year. One round robin win over limerick last year. 2018 was their last round robin before that.

Clare had a full deck today with sod on fire before the game. Limerick were missing Casey Finn. Dod and Flanagan and still had enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Not much to add to all the reports. Dublin completely failed to turn up and we were very good is about the height of it. Mullen is some athlete, would love to see how much ground he covered on Saturday.

One of the interesting patterns I took from the game was how, especially in the first half, we tried to bring the full forward line over to one side to expose their goals and hit the diagonal ball in to them. As the boys on The Sunday Game said last night, we only need to win one of those and it's a goal. The defence have to win every one of them. 4 weeks now to work on more moves like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Saturday was probably the best tactical setup, even though against limited opposition, I have seen from the current Kilkenny team. There seemed to be a plan to stop Dublin's running game while also finding space for our forwards. The positioning of Cian Kenny and Deegan was excellent and work rate of the forwards was super. 2nd half was harder to judge as game was already over. It will be interesting to see how they adapt this going forward. Overall the accuracy and decision making seemed much improved. Hopefully this will continue as it will be needed for the challenges ahead.

Cody regularly gave young players game time in the league and a few ended up making championship panels and starting championship games particularly u21 players from 02-06

I know things are different now with u20 and not u21 and it takes lads longer to mature

But if a team wins an all Ireland you expect lads to get a taste for it and really drive on and put the work to get established onto a senior panel

A lot of out u20s from 2 year’s ago have gone backwards in my opinion there the next crop that should be putting there hand up and there not which is worrying

Some of the younger u20s from this years team will take a few years to develop so there’s going to be a big hole in our team panel come the start of 2025

And there’s no point just saying we’re Kilkenny we ll always have hurlers

I follow a lot of the club scene and these lads are not standing out for club teams either. There are 5/6 lads who played in the Al Ireland team that are junior club hurlers . Purcell and Doyle from Windgap, Doyle from Emeralds, Drennan from Galmoy, Dunne from Graignamanagh, some of these lads were very poor in the club championship last year, and none of them standing out.

How are the Dunnamaggin pair of Walsh and Hickey now, i know Walsh was injured ?

Langton and Fitzpatrick are after having a few rough years, Rowe, Clifford and Moylan need a big year for the Boro this year if they are going to make the breakthrough on the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Is there something to be said that success in the club competitions has given a better platform for developing new talent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Open session Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Great to hear and see this happening again. Hopefully it'll be a proper session with a bit of a game. I think the last KK training session that was open to the public was 2012 other than glorified autograph sessions. Delighted to see this back and hopefully it can create a bit of a connection between the players and fans which I think is sorely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

I see Hannon said in his speech yesterday "We've a backroom team of 53 people" (for a panel of 36). FFS Manchester City don't have that 😳 amateur sport me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 neverbet

I would imagine the 20 used will be used again in the semi final and hopefully final if we qualify,provided we avoid injuries. Not a time of the year to be giving lads a "run" for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Your not giving lads a run for the sake of it there was no need to keeping on j Donnelly with an injured thumb or a 37 year old Tj Reid surely getting Owen wall and b drennan on for some minutes would have been beneficial for a semi final even getting Jordan Molloy on sooner would have been great

Advertisement