Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think I read somewhere that those training/trail matches can't contain players who were on the panel this year.. im nearly sure it was when I read the article about tipp having a 4 divisional team competition over next 3 weeks.

For kk could you do a north, central, city and south divisional teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Longlad69

The 4 lisdowney players are Aiden Tallis, Niall Brennan, Conor O Carroll and Eddie Hickey, hopefully Conor can fill his grand fathers boots and go on to captain Kilkenny to All-Ireland glory. Find Eddie Hickey a strange one at his ripe age of 34 but what I’m hearing is he’s coming in to replace Wally Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

No disrespect to him…..but that surely is a mistake about Eddie Hickey…..he wasn’t even starting on the Lisdowney Junior team this year so must be wires being crossed somewhere!

I had heard Tallis and O’Carroll were two of the Lisdowney crew but I wasnt sure who the others were.

From what I heard he took a back seat from the hurling this year to concentrate on bulking up for when he did get the call up. Cody made the call last year and told him he’d be in if he got tanked. Maybe I’m mixed up and it was someone else but I’m nearly sure.

😀 ya can’t beat a bit sneering for the ladsssss WhatsApp group…….here was me thinking Cody has absolutely lost his marbles altogether!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

I completely agree with this. I was sitting in line with our full back line that day in the second half and our half back line was dragged too far out and left huge space for Tipps inside forwards. Our midfield and half forwards didn`t match Tipps intensity and the boys in the full back line took the rap for it. Anyway, good luck to Joey. He had a great innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

minor management team Niall Bergin, Davy Buggy, Jimmy Coogan, Willie o’Dwyer, Paddy Hogan, and James Kelly as S&C coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

And this weekend sees the continuation of what I would regard as one of the most important competitions for hurling in Kilkenny. You wouldn’t think it though. U19 is a critical age in a young hurlers life particularly those that still feel valued enough to bother lining out. Given how lives have been limited over the last year and a half, why couldn’t this competition have been played over the summer. What would it have clashed with? It wasn’t like lads had much in the way of diversions. Played at a proper time of the year this competition would be very entertaining and maybe even encourage the odd lad to give it a go for a bit longer. However, scheduling this competition just as the football starts is indicative of how it is regarded. I’m sure most 19 year olds can take the hint.

Forgot to mention Joey, thrown to the wolves in 2016 but KK people really knew how good he was. Even last Sunday when the chips were down Joey came storming out of defence and set up vital attack’s. He took the right decision to leave that set up, he was treated very badly and undeservingly so. I wish him all the best and hope he returns to win a five in a row with the Shamrocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

There were plenty of Kilkenny people happy to slate Joey after that game as well.

Re: playing U19 in the summer. U17 games every Monday for the entire summer this year so would've been difficult with the Junior competitions also where a lot of those out of minor the last two years would be involved at weekends. Realistically, whilst it is an important age grade its hard to see where it fits in the calendar with established competitions.

Interesting minor management team. Bergin is established at that age group and Coogan has been involved with Tullaroan the last few years but wouldn't know much about Paddy Hogan or Willie O Dwyers coaching credentials? Is it Sean Kelly rather than James Kelly with the S&C? Sean is the Head of physical development for the development squads for years now

• Advertisement

Dewalt No I think his name is James Kelly and he is in the defence forces , he’s supposed to be well capable.

Don’t know where dewalt came from .?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

He should be fairly handy with the drills though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Structured U19 training and games should be seen as a more important grade in this county than auld lads playing junior bloody D or E

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Congratulations to Glenmore and Mooncoin, both pulled away well in the end after being behind at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

As a Tipp man we were mesmerised that the KK half backs that day were all the time mooching up the field looking for scores and leaving acres behind them to play into. It was tailor made for Seamie Callinan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Am I right in saying that if Glenmore (who, let’s face it, have been the standout team in Intermediate and obviously have the potential to do so) go on from here and win the Leinster and AI Intermediate titles, they’ll become the first club to have won the AI at all 3 grades?

From what I know, I think they’re the only ones capable of doing so this year.

I thought the junior final was great today mostly due to Seán Cleere who left his whistle at home. Conor Everard left his in the dressing room but it found at half time.Its fairly obvious that refereeing was discussed in the last few weeks and we saw the results today.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I thought it was bad out of Freshford when they came out for there warm up when Mooncoin were receiving the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Unfortunately at this stage it looks like Kilkenny will never revert back to under 18 minor level so we need to adapt and make changes to the age structures in order give players the best chance to get games and develop. The current under 17/19/21 set up is not working. Loads of games for under 17s but no games for lads between 18 and 21 until the winter and basically knockout competitions.

The only sensible way to move forward i believe would be to scrap under 19 and bring under 21 back to under 20. This way you'll have a similar 3 year age gap as you did when we had under 18/21 but make the 20 a proper meaningful competition with plenty of league games and championship. It should be an improvement as under 21 has always been straight knockout.

Something has to change as these lads are getting no hurling in their most important years. There is just no space in the fixtures calendar for 19 and 21. Problem with 19s is club teams are losing players to 2 county squads at 17 and 20 level so there is no where for it to be played.

What would other peoples thoughts be?

• Advertisement

James Kelly is in the Defense Forces while he is also involved in a gym called Bravo Fitness in Hebron industrial estate. His background with regards sports is more soccer orientated through a long term playing and coaching association with Freebooters but by all accounts would be well qualified from a S&C knowledge base.

Also believe Liam Keoghan and Niall Lacey have stepped down from Tullaroan job and are being replaced by Ken Coogan and Peter Dukelow.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Tullogher ran out of gas yesterday.Its interesting that most of mooncoins team is u25 so they definitely have potential.Alot of Tulloghers men are club stalwarts and owe them nothing but if they can integrate them minors into that team over the next few years they have every chance of getting up.Danny glennon is a very exciting talent.

Freshford will be dissapointed with their 2nd half performance yesterday.They only scored a few points in the 2nd half.James maher and scruff had a great tussle in the first half.Maher got 3 points but the second half scruff took over and Alan went out around the middle and aylward started getting good ball and I think he ended up with 1-4.Ian byrne also very lively.Brian Kennedy was wing back I was told he's back for good.

The two teams that have went up should hold their own.The last few years Amy team that went up usually holds their own and these two teams should do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

When did he captain Kilkenny to All Ireland glory?

I do not think he ever captained kilkenny to all ireland glory may be it was his brother Ted.

With all due respect where did you want them to warm up? In Kitty Barry’s back Garden ??

Some supporter you are and you never heard of the great Ted Carroll, it’s laughable to see comments from people who don’t know the history of Kilkenny hurling …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Ballyhale alledgedly looking to have their game v Mount Leinster Rangers brought forward/refixed because of T.J. Reid's wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You registered on Boards to start trolling people after 6 posts !?!

Good man.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement