Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I understand the frustration …. BUT …..

Can you (or have you) ever tried to do anything about the situation?

People can whinge all they want on here , but have they (or their club) ever done anything about it? Have they put up counter motions ? Candidates?

If the County board com-it-eee arent challenged , they will always do what they want , unchallenged.

So i dont see the point about giving out about it on Boards……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I've been saying this for ages, two years ago was the perfect time for a change when the 5 year terms of the previous board were coming to an end but not one person put their name forward to run against the current inhabitants. I think the big problem we have in the county is that we have loads of people that want to give out and say how terrible things are being run but we don't have anyone who is willing to step up and try and do anything about it. I contacted 2 people 2 year ago who were very vociferous in their criticism of the previous board and told them I would propose them and they could then run against the current board and lobby clubs for votes which they would have won but both for their own reasons didn't want to put their name forward. If we want change now is the time for people to come forward and put their names forward to go before convention and challenge the current board.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭KK36

It isn't that easy. You'll never see wagons circle so quickly in all your life if you put someone "different" forward. The phone calls and threats behind the scenes would make the mafia look like a kindergarten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Village87

Sad state of affairs when i have yet to meet any Kilkenny hurling die hard who is happy with the current set up. Who are the ring leaders involved, Quinn, Henderson, Cody, Denieff and the current board ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Marrooned

No I haven’t. But I will at our next AGM. I couldn’t make it last year , but I certainly wouldn’t be afraid to voice my concerns the thing that would bother me is the lack of interest from the club and that would really drive me bananas

• Advertisement

again Village you are absolutely correct I have met no one that is happy with the county board. The trouble is talking between themselves they probably think they are doing an excellent job. Really anytime I mention it to my county board rep. He shrugs his shoulders as if he knows the situation but will not do anything about it.Does anyone know if anyone was approached for any of the team jobs?

anyway we should all be letting our representatives know the way we feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just thinking we wont win an All Star this year, says a lot really.

Quinn and Henderson still hold sway in the board but I don't think that they have as much as they previously have. I know for a fact that Quinn favoured replacing at least 2 of the managers re-ratified this week. I've been around the CB meetings long enough and have never heard Cody's name being mentioned in any way in the running of things other than purely on the senior team side of things, he's not on any committee's in there either so doubt he would hold much sway and if he was in there I doubt he'd let the current slip in standards be allowed. I think the 2 Denieffe' definitely hold a lot of sway at the top table these days, along with the current top table, our vice chairman, coaching officer, h&s officer and the people they have packed the committees with.

• Advertisement

Not that it is a deciding factor or anything but a huge number of those people you mention never even played hurling, let alone at top level. They lack credibility and struggle to get people to row in behind them.

Look at the difference Duignan has made in Offaly. An elite level player who people got in behind. A pied piper type figure who is driving everything in the county (both financially and on the field). Compare that to what we have. A special Junior (at best) hatchetman who turns up in shorts for a major sponsorship launch.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get Tommy Walsh in as chairman? Watch the fortunes change then.

I 100% agree and as they lack that credibility I think they are nearly afraid to rock the boat and keep with the same as has gone before them. I don't doubt the work or effort they are putting in and no doubt they are trying their best but I think at this level now you need more than that! Could you imagine someone like Phil Hogan was chairman and the things he would do it our board!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 neverbet

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭jamesbond2022

For me you can say a manager is a poor tactictian slow to make changes stubborn clueless whatever else you want but comparing a manger to a bag of spuds is school yard stuff and really childish in my opinion its getting to personal and below the belt

A manager should be judged on there ability and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think Sunday game picked David Fitzgerald,Shane Barrett, Harnedy, Rodgers, O'Donnell and Brian Hayes. Hegarty and Gillane had good years for Limerick too, who is he getting in ahead of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭MfMan

Huw Lawlor entitled? Better than either Cork or Clare FBs anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭mooz

I think that Donnelly or David Blanchfield are our best prospects of winning All-Stars, Cian Kenny has an outside chance but realistically, we're looking at 1 at best I feel. First time I can remember the Sunday Game panel not picking a Leinster player for Team of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

We're not getting an All Star nor do we deserve one.

Paul Murphy/Skehill had Donnelly and Blanchfield in their TOTY on their podcast.....I wonder when the last year was that we had none? 2017 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Eoin Downey was very good for Cork and Cleary did good jobs on Chin, Connolly and I think TJ towards the tail end of the year so bit of competition there, the most impossible thing to find is a all star team that everyone agrees on.

• Advertisement

just on the issue of frustration with the county board, that is bound to happen when you are not in a position to do anything and the people who are in a position are not doing anything about it . It makes you wonder are the ordinary members of the county board in agreement with the hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭droppingball

Just on the straight red cards in the club matches. Is it an automatic 1 or 2 game ban now?

I genuinely don't think you get what happens at county board meetings, 90% of the decisions made by the county board are done at management committee level and are then relayed down to the delegates at the county board level, it's very hard for delegates to argue or shoot down a decision that has already been made and when delegates do speak against it basically said that the decision has been made and lets move on. Over the last 1-2 years county board meetings have basically come down to the chair person of various sub committees updating delegates about what is happening. The only thing that delegates really had any say on was the changing of minor back to U18, where despite the best efforts of the bord na nOg chairman, delegates and clubs overwhelmingly pushed to get the age grades changed.

well I am involved at some level and know that there is meetings after meetings and only some people are brought in to the inner circle and I realise how hard it is to be heard but there is still a huge body of people who are not being listened to, well then that has to change.I also realise that there has to be working committees to get things done but when something is brought before the board for ratification then surely there should be a show of hands for either a yes or a know? Now Ned I know you have to be deeply concerned with what’s going on otherwise you wouldn’t be giving us the heads up here.It’s just surprising that like minded people on the county board are not getting together to voice their concerns I probably phrased my previous post a bit harshly but if your not with them your against them and vice versa.on a personal level I think your a brave man to give us all this information and I appreciate that.The other thing is a coup is a dangerous thing and the leaders of a coup are exposed and put out on a limb, it didn’t happen in Offaly but it could have. I liked your thinking on Phil Hogan as chairman he would certainly organise the county board into a progressive unit. And I still feel he should be in charge of the spending of all the massive fund raising that he did.

To be honest I do think we are on agreement on a lot of what is happening. I do think a big problem is the age profile of a lot of the delegates who have been in there for years and are probably doing it because no one else in the club will do it and they don't want the hassle of going in and arguing every month. I think over the last 2 top tables we've really lacked someone with a bit of charisma or someone who is has a bit of authority about them and this is what has resulted in a lot of decisions being made behind the scenes by a group of people rather than someone willing to put their neck on the block and stand over the decisions. Someone like Phil Hogan or a younger version of the likes of Ned Quinn who will come in with new ideas and have a bit of authority about them is badly needed. I do think that the people in place now are trying their best and I don't doubt they are coming with the right motives I just think that they are not the people needed at the current point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Funny you should say that, i was talking to Tommy this week and told him the same thing (he could be Kilkennys Duignan) and he practically ran down the street, at the thought of it. He did say he's loving the on field coaching with Tullaroan but has no interest in management, which is fair enough.

Great reading Ned. Thank you for the insight. Just on the club delegates, well done for passing the u17 to u18. IMO it has been a great success. Yes it is hard on minor managements at club level but young lads 18 are getting the world of games. They dip there toe into adult hurling also and are still playing with there age group at 18 with big changes in there world at that time. That was the age we lost a lot of hurlers but not so this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The true test of the change to U18 is only happening now. First round of minor championship is the same weekend as Round 5 of the adult round robin. Let's see how clubs address that before deeming it a massive success.

That is for the elite players, i am talking about the age group as a whole.

• Advertisement

Thomastown look very comfortable at senior level, playing a great brand of hurling and are off to a great start. Great win over the neighborurs

Advertisement