Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Shocks12

Okay here would be my issue with that is that the best club players aren’t being asked eg Lisdowney there best aren’t in the last few years except Brennan and now those probably are older and not bothered or maybe they were asked and said no I dunno.

Regards Danesfort Des Dunne is good and I believe should have been kept on the panel he has more to offer than a few there are there consistently!

Yeah it is a young mans game and as I said above bring in the young lads but if you see a unreal 28/29 year old bring him in even for one year..

My own clubman not sure is he staying on as selector but I just would be worried are they really bringing in the best players or just because you hurled u21 for Kilkenny you should be in.. Does that even mean much our 21s 20s have shown to be poor.. Hard to even ask these questions around my part as you are seen as knocking your own.

I don’t want to mention names because you can upset people here but like I heard players were kept on the panel for experience? Madness and not how a winning team operates.

I just am worried after seeing club games at them and on clubber loads of great players I feel being missed.

I kind of feel we accept mediocrity we have no All Ireland since 2015 no real hard questions being asked. A really inept county board.

The best coaches don’t seem to be from Kilkenny. Our man Davy Franks is excellent but has never had an approach!

I am a bit negative I know but I just would be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jamesbond2022

No I would agree I think a lot of young lads have seen very little opportunities to impress especially on the extended panel and have maybe given it a year or two and taken themselves off as they can’t see a clear pathway to making a match day squad

There definetly have been some older players staying on beyond there sell by date blocking younger players progress and I think management have taken the easy way out by sticking with codys panel of players

I think your spot on with sticking with players that have been on kk u20 panels aswell a lot of them are around awhile and have made little to no impression

T Phelan is a perfect example of a player that came in at maybe 26/27 and been a great addition if a player has potential to make the step up to county level they should be looked at

We ve been slow as a county to change in regards to tactics S&c getting outside coaches and experts and bringing through and giving younger players a chance

I doubt d franks would get involved with kk as he’s well tied up with both Wexford and b Gunnar

You could argue our tactics cost us v Clare we lamped balls in the end on forwards against more backs. If a team is really well coached they stick to a plan and a clever hurler knows his best options on the ball!

Yeah Franks won’t but he is the example. I see club teams coached better than Kilkenny they play short for periods but lamp ball in the end.

And I am not a big short ball man I prefer good passes to forwards not this short tappy crap!

I dunno I just am worried what do they see in club games. Like everyone we want All Irelands but are we giving ourselves the best chance. Are we shunting players away from bothering because they see lads hanging around knowing they will get game time over them!

I can’t see us winning an All Ireland next year I hope I am wrong but seeing all these players and seeing the Kilkenny panel has made me really question things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭blackcard

Who are the best coached teams at club level? I would have said Thomastown have used the ball well in the 3 matches I saw them play but listening to the radio they went long with puckouts when playing with the wind against Glenmore. Bridge generally use the ball well but sometimes lump the ball into Liam Blanch

• Advertisement

Awh Thomastown in my opinion are coached so well they can play it anyway. Sean Kelly has them flying. There puckouts are excellent! I would go long at times sure John Donnelly can catch ball. They play a savage brand.

Look Kilkenny need a Jimmy Meagher a phenomenal coach probably won’t happen but there is someone and look ya don’t need to point out his flaws to me I know he is just a name!

I bet you though if he was coaching Kilkenny the style would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Derek Lyng should know himself there are outliers in the lowest tiers in Kilkenny as he was one himself brought in by Cody.

He needs to look outside the big senior clubs and put his own stamp on this team once and for all.

Does he want to be remembered as a manager who took zero risk in his quest for All Ireland glory?

Cody took gambles on the Taggy Fogartys, Walter Walshes, he was a risk taker because he liked what he saw.

John Kiely took a gamble on a big skinny Limerick footballer from a tiny junior hurling club, Gearoid Hegarty and he played huge parts in landing Liam McCarthys.

Bringing on Walter Walsh & Conor Fogarty was never going to get you over the line against a pacy Clare bench this year, wrong move but that needed to be fixed in January 2024, not July 2024.

Time is running out for Lyng, he needs to shake up his backroom team and panel of players big time!

Life is too cosy on the Kilkenny panel now for many.

The Thomastown style is the way I would like Kilkenny to follow. Diarmuid Galway is an integral part of this, his puckouts and distribution are excellent. He didn't do anything wrong as a shotstopper but I haven't noted his performances for long enough

If improving the lot of the county team involves money then we are screwed, they just don’t want to spend money two former bank managers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭hogans heroes

PLay the right ball whether it's Longnor short, same in any sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Hurlingtothebone

Who is Kilkenny Senior team hurling coach? Is it Peter Donovan and if it is who has he ever proved himself as a competent hurling coach because he certainly hasn't with the Kilkenny seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hurlingtothebone

I agree with you about Jimmy Meagher. Nigel Skehan from O Loughlins another excellent coach

I thought Lyng made 2 big mistakes in particular. When Kilkenny were 12 points up against Dublin with 15 minutes to go, he should have brought on Owen Wall to give him more experience of playing in Croke Park. What was he going to learn by bringing on Buckley or Wally?

Against Clare, KK persisted in playing ball into Eoin Cody. Adam Hogan, by fair means or foul, cleared up amd was first to every ball. The correct thing to do was move Cody to say full forward and bring on Wall which would bring a different challenge for Clare. Having Hogan marking a much faster man or changing to full back

From being at games the last few years c Phelan seems to taking the lead with coaching well the small sided games before matches anyway and m rice with the goal keepers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Village87

Why are players like Paul Cody and others not getting game time the last few years. He has a lot more to offer than some players in there. Like what is Conor Fogarty at still in there, at least players like Buckley and Walsh knew there time was up and walked away, lads like Richie Reid and Conor Fogarty have not been good enough for a long time. Move on, as some posts stated above it all seems to comfortable in there, Conor Delaney is not a Croke Park player, yet he is always no.17 with no intention of being used, these players are not even standing out for club.

I heard Mickey Comerford was in then he was out, John Murphy was out now he is in for **** sake! And this is before a ball is struck The more I think about it we are in serious trouble. One time there used to be a reporter at all the county board meetings but this is not the case anymore. WHY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Reporter :

Well if club delegates are afraid to question the county board, why would a reporter?

His media (Kilkenny People /Kclr) couldnt afford to fall out of favour with that county board either, for fear of missing out on being able to report on one of the top 3-4 counties in hurling …

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

well greenspurs I was only saying that reporters only attended the county board meetings, I don’t think they were ever allowed to ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭tibruit

Derek Lyng wasn`t plucked from Junior hurling obscurity by Cody. I remember him playing for a county intermediate team at center back and it was obvious that he needed to be promoted to the senior squad. Richie Power progressed on that route too. Walter Walsh was an obvious future senior player from an early age although it was a bold move by Cody the way he gave him his debut.

I think there`s a strong case to be made for having a second team playing at a competitive level similar to what we are seeing happening at underage now. There needs to be a stepping stone for lads over 20. That would require other hurling counties getting involved. Another option would be to divide the county into divisions (north, south, east, west) or something similar and play off a round robin competition during the All Ireland series.

It would interfere with the early league competitions but clubs (particularly intermediate and junior) would have their better players competing at a higher level and you would also have maybe three or four lads getting a run out with their club first teams in the early leagues when they otherwise wouldn`t be getting a look in.

The main club competitions are too condensed now and a medium term injury can rule a player out for all the most important games of the season.

When was a reporter stopped been at County board meetings

• Advertisement

Our tactics definetly cost us against Clare

Let’s say olg or thomastown were playing Clare in the second half the movement of the forwards and general interplay of working the ball up the field to the man in the nest position would have been much better

As someone said here a lot of club teams are better coached than Kilkenny

Kilkenny’s decision making at times is terrible when they should be working the ball short they go long and when it should be worked short they go long

D franks or someone similar would never be approached to get involved with Kilkenny I suppose there lies the problem

I wouldn’t be the biggest fan of the short ball either especially at club level it breaks down to much and to many scores are conceded off turn overs and giving the ball to backs who don’t want it happens a lot

The right type of long ball is probably is still very hard to defend but seems to be going out of fashion

There’s definetly 12-15 players from intermediate clubs like tullougher Cshock lisdowney danesfort dunnamaggin that need to be given a proper look at for Kilkenny not just a token walsh cup game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I can't see how you'd get enough lads to commit to that. There's already too much asked of players in terms of time and energy to an amatuer game.

Re: Jimmy Meagher, I wouldn't let him near a team personally for obvious reasons but what makes people think he's an excellent coach? Bar Shamrocks what adult team has he achieved anything with? And when they were winning everything with him and Hoban in charge the players were essentially managing themselves on the field. Anyone at their games would have seen Colin and TJ in particular pulling the strings in a game when positions needed to be changed.

Post edited by JJs Left Hand on

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Kilkenny won’t be winning any All Ireland anytime soon if Conor Phelan is our head coach and Michael Rice is ourgoalkeeping coach

Great lads and servants to Kilkenny GAA but it sounds underwhelming to be quite honest.

just wondering was there any backroom teams announced at the monthly county board meeting last night?

I would have spoke to people in Mooncoin players and mentors who raved about him and same as when he was with Kilkenny 21s. Same with Tullaroan they raved about his analysis and coaching. He probably wouldn’t ever be asked but someone of his ilk is needed!

And I definitely understand why you wouldn’t want him near teams. It would never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Nedflanders02

No CB meeting last night, it's not on until next week.

Just on the other query someone had about reporters at CB meetings, John Knox went to most CB meetings and bar the occasional thing they didn't want him to report (usually not about KK) he had free reign to report what he wanted, since he has returned no reporter has been coming to the meetings bar occasionally someone from one of the radio stations to broadcast a draw, from what I know there has never been any reporter stopped from coming to a meeting.

At the moment, Dicksboro have an 8 point better points difference than Glenmore so if both end up on the same points after this weekend, I think Glenmore will have to improve their points difference relative to Boro by 9 points to avoid the relegation play offs.

It would be extremely interesting if we end up with Boro, Village, Shamrocks and Comer in the Relegation playoffs. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Comer could beat the Boro at a wet and windy Muckalee. Or that the Village could beat a Shamrocks team without Darren Mullen, Ronan Corcoran, Joey Cuddihy, Eoin Reid, Brian Cody, Colin Fennelly, an injured Eoin Cody and a barely returned trio of Joey Cuddihy, TJ and Joey Holden along with Adrian Mullen not being fully match fit

Mind you, the Boro and Shamrocks could also meet in the county final

no Ned I didn’t say they were stopped from going to the meetings but they are not there anymore

I thought there was a county board meeting last night because the angle was full of cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was thinking about this too Lynn should even have moved Cody to centre forward and let Hogan follow, see what he could clear in more open space. Leaving a player like Cody (especially after scoring that goal) was madness. Cody imo can play anywhere in the 6 positions, I doubt if Hogan is as agile.

Advertisement