Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I wasn't at the the match It was live on you tube the other night. I think they're playing ucc tomorrow night so that'll be a huge test they'll be big underdogs. Eoin cody hasn't played at all so he's a huge loss obviously but they've a decent team. Mouse kavanagh and Chris nolan and a few wexford lads. Brassil played center back and jason cleere usually doesn't last the match its a pity he never got a good run at things he looked very good at minor.

While I agree the moving of joey to 6 against st Thomas was a huge help in getting the two late goals Richie Reid has being fantastic at 6 for a few years the same as joey at 3 and it's a huge difference between club and county but he certainly wasn't blown out of it the last day.He was on conor cooney who apart from frees didn't exactly light the place up. I'd say they cancelled each other out.

I do think we need to get lawlor back to 3 cause we've no one else better at the moment.Lawlor actually ended up full back yesterday. The full back line was in big trouble against wexford and again yesterday. Conditions were terrible I think we drove 19 wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I say lot of lads will not be around this summer if things clear up, after been locked up the last two summers lads feel the edge to travel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

At the risk of getting run out of here I'm going to say that Padraig Walsh has to go to full back. He was brilliant there a few years ago. Huw will be fine at centre back. Hopefully D Mullen will nail one of the corner/wing spots. Delaney (with increased fitness and sharpness), Deegan, Reid and Carey to fill the other spots. Midfield is the most crucial area for us. Two from Leahy/Maher/Browne here. You'll have the 3 Shamrocks lads in the forwards with Ryan and Donnelly and then it's down to whoever of the many other forwards is going best in training to nail the other spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I'd agree with moving Padraig back into the backs but I'd probably put him back at no.5 myself. I'd also like to see us persevere with Delaney at full back as I think he is the most natural at this position and especially if Huw Lawlor remains at 6. Based on what I have seen before Blanchfield has to be in pole position for the other wing back slot as things stand. I was really impressed with him last Sunday and he looks to be have developed into the player he looked like becoming at U20 level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

True. Blanchfield is probably ahead of Carey right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

I was a big fan of Darren Mullen but he has been poor anytime I have seen him this year. Does not look to be developing. Micheal Carey has done very little in a Kilkenny jersey yet to be deemed a regular. David Blanchfield and Cian Kenny are streets ahead of anything I have seen yet this year. As for Padraig Walsh he is 29 now and I do not see the benefit of moving him to the forwards. He is Kilkennys best back, leave him there. Management must be really concerned about our forwards or lack of them. Bergin is struggling and a few others are struggling.

I thought Carey played ok enough on Sunday. I also wouldn't be against trying him out in the half back line, possibly even at centre back. This is what the league is for in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Don't understand why everyone feels the need to take Huw Lawlor out of full back. I think he's been perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Kierans beat CBS by 2 18 to 1 10.

• Advertisement

I fear Darren mullen could be like Richie leahy and Jason cleere and not get to reach their full potential with injuries holding them back. Mullen definitely has potential and is very intelligent with the ball. He was very close to starting last year by all accounts before getting injured before the cork game. It'd be unfair to judge him the last few matches because he definitely hasn't being right and went off in a good few matches and has to be a considered a doubt for Saturday after going off again the last day. Ronan corcoran got the cast off last Wednesday and was due to train Saturday gone. It'll be a big ask to have him ready for Saturday.Big test for kenny tonight it'll be interesting to see how he goes. He definitely has potential and would be a good link man if played correctly.Brassil was at 6 the last day he's after filling out a good bit and is probably better suited to the backs. Dj has done and is doing a great job infairness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Question for the committee here.

On appointment of club management for the coming year. Who votes on ratification of management is it club members or executive committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Each club should have their own policy. I know my own is done by the club committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

No competition in 2021 probably really hurt CBS with Billy Drennan and Timmy Clifford finishing up.

If Kierans can get the 2-3 key players currently injured, back in time, they will be very hard to beat.

Great win tonight for Carlow versus a star sudded UCC in a very tough and at times dirty match. Cian Kenny and Brassil played well for Carlow. UCC big names all poor.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

Yea exactly if kierans get back them few players they could get on a run. Bill Hughes is a big loss in defence.Great win for djs crew tonight but I was dissapointed with ucc alot of their bigger players didn't perform or maybe weren't let perform. Cian Kenny was industrious at midfield and himself and brassil got on the scoresheet while Jason cleere was solid on the half back line. Niall brennan from lisdowney had a very good game for Ul tonight scoring 5 points from play.i think cody is doing the sensible thing not considering these while they're involved with colleges.Eoin cody will give Carlow a huge boost next week and the victory for cw was more impressive because they lost marty kavanagh after 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

This is probably old hat to a lot of you but as a relative newcomer it has shocked me just how little Kilkenny GAA cares about football. You might have thought the annihilation of the minors a few years back might have warranted a review and rethink but no, it seems that didn't register on anyones conscience for more than a nano second.

Last year we had a farce where clubs were given 4 days in October to opt in (not opt out and ignoring the fact clubs actually opt in at the start of the year) to juvenile football competitions. Those who contacted the county board once the fixtures were published (which was the first time most people knew there was actually going to be a football competition) were told tough, it's too late.

So those were Covid times and we assumed things would improve this year.

Silly us! The county board have just this week published juvenile football fixtures starting this weekend. For the minors this means championship and your football for the year could be over in the space of a few days. There was no email sent out, there was no heads up to let clubs know they should start preparing. No, lets just publish fixtures and see who turns up on the day! It really is shameful and clearly it's just a box ticking exercise to be able to report back to HQ that Kilkenny are promoting football in the county. Nothing could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Eoin Cody was on panel last night but if he had come on Shamrocks would have been rightly petrified. Great win for Carlow but shouldn't hide the fact this was a really ugly spiteful game reffed by Thomas Walsh who let a lot of dirt go unpunished (a few of the yellows and one of the reds had to be pointed out to him by linesmen), and he played on frequently after dangerous high tackles etc.

Fitzgibbon is reffed very leniently and when you throw in the usual bad conditions due to it being played in Jan/Feb you get some seriously attritional matches. That's why if you can thrive in Fitzgibbon you are probably going to do well intercounty. The correlation between good Fitzgibbon and good Inter county players last decade is huge. Take a look at how many of the current Limerick team were involved with successful UL and Mary I teams 2015-2019.

It's a competition that at face value should be an anachronism (top class young intercounty hurlers forced to hurl in often foul conditions where the hurling is often very tough and a lot of dirt let go), but it does battle test players who are mostly just starting their intercounty careers, and on balance I think inter county managers believe it is worth the risk (high risk of injuries).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

A lot of us on this forum here are in agreement that a total overhaul is needed from the top down. Jimmy Walsh, Cody and Quinn and there cronies are destroying Kilkenny hurling and it is getting worse. The lack of underage success over the last 2 decades is showing in the senior results the last 4/5 years and yet there is little or no change in structures unless its the same cronies under a new umbrella e.g Demspey looking at the state of Kilkenny underage hurling and how it can improve.

Football needs to be promoted underage because some of the skills in football are now very prominent in hurling, short passes, breaking tackles, running off the ball for a pass or to create space. This is all alien to a lot of coaches in Kilkenny at the moment. The game has changed and weather we like it or not we need to move with the times.

It took a strike in Cork to kick out the hierarchy ruining the game there. Its taken 20 years but they finally seem to be turning a corner. They have a system in place that seems to be maximising talent.

We are after losing Henry, Eddie Brennan and DJ Carey in the short term. Change is needed before we fall further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭kk.man

Huw lawlor for me at full back all day. He is fast and skilful which a modern full back should be.

At 29 padraig Walsh should not be messed about with. Scoring half backs are part of the game now imo his slot is no.5.

Any word on Coner Delaneys injury and how long he might be out for?

• Advertisement

Conor delaneys injury looked like a hamstring so he'll probably miss a few weeks.I do think he could do a job here if he could stay fit,he was in pole position a few years ago before getting injured and huw ended up slotting in and has done well to be fair to him.I expect lawlor to go back to 3 because the bottom line is there is no one better at the moment. The full back line has had two bad days but the better teams won't miss some of the chances that were missed the last few weeks.This will be a game tipp would of targeted especially minus the shamrocks players. Id also expect a reaction from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Conor Delaney is a fine hurler but for various reasons he hasnt been able to get a consistent run in the team and he has been around the panel a few years now. Huw lawlor for me at full back but if cody is going to persist with lawlor centre back then it has to be padraig walsh back full back. If conor was able to get a run going then possibly but its looking less and less likely.

We'll probably see brassill and cian kenny either starting or on the panel this wknd with the fitzgibbon not on till Thursday they've two extra days to recover. I heard ronan corcoran is out and Darren mullen will play for the shamrocks. This should be a cracker and probably the biggest game of the wknd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v TIP

E Murphy 

M Butler H Lawlor E Cody 

M Carey N Brassil D Blanchfield

C Kenny P Deegan 

R Leahy P Walsh T Phelan

B Ryan M Keoghan J Donnelly

Subs 

D Brennan 

T Walsh 

C Heary 

C Buckley 

M Kenny 

J Maher 

C Fogarty 

W Walsh 

J Bergin 

T O'Dwyer 

J Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Nothing wrong with that team considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All the best to all the teams are representing club schools tomorrow from the school in Johnstown which have a hurling final and camogie and the shamrocks hope everybody has enjoyable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Quick question re season ticket for those in the know. Got one for Christmas, not had one before. Planning on going to Club Finals today and I see seating is allocated. Would they allow a child in with me or is that section just for season ticket holders? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Jesus, Ballyhale got some taste of their own medicine 💉

I'm afraid Ballyhale threw that one away. In my opinion they were the better team throughout with the better hurlers - if very wasteful after doing the hard work in winning possession. They did what they had to do or so they thought. I think the keeper was a little suspect for both of the goals. Eoin Cody was also well marshalled and that was perhaps the difference in the end.

In their defence I thought James Owens kept Ballygunner in it throughout the game but particularly in the second half with some very soft frees in the last quarter which were not replicated at the other end. The much talked about diving was evident any time there was contact and Owens bought it like a sucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Gongrats to Ballygunner, but why the hell didn't Ballyhale not have 15 men behind the ball and close down the space

Advertisement