Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

Fully agree with that comment above. But as long as Cody, Quinn and there cronies stay in town we wont progress. Their massive egos are getting in the way of Kilkenny hurling progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Speaking of the County Board, I heard from a friend that they are discontinuing with the Pensioners Pass that has been in operation for years. They haven't the decency to announce this. You have to wonder if the clubs have any say in it, or are even interested. So much for the GAA boast about being community based and looking after its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Would you like to put on record exactly what role Ned Quinn has within the county board at present ?

You will struggle to because he does not have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I’m fairly sure he’s central council delegate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

And on Management committee (Which is where everything is decided) and numerous others in there I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Absoulte sickener for Carlow IT.

Beaten in X time by a last second 50 metre free that flew to net.

Very hard on them, they were the better team in X time.

Cleere and Kenny good for Carlow, Brassil ok. Eoin Cody barely touched the ball in 80 mins and missed a sitter that would have won match in 60 mins.

Match was reffed a lot stricter than usual for Fitzgibbon which didnt suit Carlow, who were getting really stuck in all night and got hit for 5-6 frees that generally would be let go.

Really feel sorry for DJ in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

The ref was a disgrace. No way was the last free a foul. 2 lads stand the man up free in.

The full back fouled Nolan 4 times in second half every one was given as a free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah sorry I meant that central delegate was his official position in there! He’s definitely on management committee and o think finance committee, not sure after that but they’re the 2 that matter anyway!

Absolute sickener for Carlow IT, looked like they had done enough to win but another late goal wins it! Thought Niall Brennan was very good for UL 4 points from play again, he got the same the last game too, he must surely be in line for a run with the county for the rest of the league. Thought Darragh Corcoran did well for UL too. Thought Kenny and Brassil were good for Carlow and Jason Cleere had his best game in a long time! Is he still an option for the county at this stage or has that ship passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

That ref is really poor, have seen him in a number of games and you never know what way he is going to blow. Certainly didn't do Carlow any favours.

How they let that shot go in though is a mystery. They should have had 6 or 7 lads on the goal line and every one else in their team in between making a goal almost impossible. I felt looking at it in the lead up to the free that a goal was possible as it looked porous.

• Advertisement

Looked at it again and you are right on both

1. Shocking decision to award free, no foul.
    2. Only 11 Carlow players back when ref had said it was last puck. Why werent the other 4 in front of ball?

And perhaps the worst of all, three UL players in square when he struck it with one standing in front of the keeper flaking at it as it went by (and on review he may even have got a touch to it)

Should never have been allowed to stand but umpires all night were like Laurel and Hardy (a few really dodgy decisons on points) so were never likely to even bother pointing it out.

Hard to watch so much hard work being pissed away through official's incompetence.

So so hard, especially for Carlow and Laois lads who will never see senior All Ireland or even Provincial glory, so this one would have meant an awful lot to them

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

There was no opposition players in the square. You can clearly see this from the link above.

This still shot would suggest otherwise.

Either way they were robbed by a free awarded that practically no one hurling Fitzgibbon would expect to receive.

As Brian Cody said in 2014 when Barry Kelly almost gave the AI to Tipp, "You must be 100% certain when you blow for a free that will decide the outcome of a match"

ie

In the ebb and flow of a match you must expect the odd ropey/soft free to go with or against you, but at the death, a ref must always be certain he has made the right call. You cannot leave room for doubt at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I'd be more annoyed at the officiating during the game if I was Carlow. There were points given there last night that were never points and there were points not given that were points. Absolutely shocking stuff at that level. It was similar on Sunday in Thurkes to be fair, the umpires hadn't a clue what was going on.

The ref gave a lot of questionable frees last night - I don't buy the Fitzgibbon "leniency" stuff. At any level of hurling they were highly questionable.

I get that it's a tough job and without refs there would be no game at all but you do wonder if some of these guys have an agenda when they step out on the field. I have always felt that refs that let the game flow and keep the whistle under wraps were the best. At least that way you can be more consistent and a free is a free. These guys blowing everything only create a rod for themselves and encourage the diving merchants like Barrett & Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Still shot...

Not very clear is it ??

The one from behind the goal shows there was no one in the square......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Possibly the worst still photo iv ever seen to make a point. No iv checked the video. There was no on in the square as the ball arrives . Its a very hard luck story on Carlow. It's so hard to win your first in any sport.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mooz

ITC lost the ball badly for the last score in normal time and again the same player should have scored at the end of extra time which resulted in the winning goal from the free. The outstanding players on view were Laois, Carlow, Wexford, Waterford and Clare players I felt. Cian Kenny, Jason Cleere and Brassil hurled well in patches. Niall Brennan scored some nice points. None of the others set the world alight imo

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Final word on it for me on the subject, you don’t need to be able to see players clearly, you just need to be able to see the relevant detail, you can see the 3 UL players and you can see the line of the small square is in front of at least two of them with the ball not yet in square.

I've no axe to grind with UL, I attended UL many moons ago and will be shouting for them tomorrow, but even if there wasn't a square ball, ITC were badly done by ref and umpires.

It happens, no one is perfect, but it’s lousy, especially when it’s on a college not stacked with stellar IC names from the big hurling counties who probably will never get a better shot.

I hate when I see underage or schools’ finals get decided by bad reffing, because many of those involved will never see a bigger day, that was their day, their AI senior final equivalent, and they deserve better.

I remember when Kilkenny got done in 2015 minor by Galway with a last second winner that most certainly was a square ball and a guy beside me saying "ah ffs, ye've won enough" and I pointed out correctly that for most Kilkenny players down on field, that would be the most important match they ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Best of luck to Kierans tomorrow. Hopefully they shove it up the holes of the begrudgers on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

It was like Eoin Cody never played hurling before, he couldn’t even pick basic balls up off the ground.

I know he was prob on the beer and a complete downer after the club all Ireland but how he was not subbed at half time was beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

He came into the game more when he came out on the half forward line layed off a couple of good passes for scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Ah they should beat gort no problem. Kilkenny cbs hammered gort in a challenge earlier in the year. Do you agree with kierans ringing up students from other schools, even from schools outside the county to come play with them. It's not as though they don't have players to field a couple of teams at senior level already.

He hardly did any training or played any matches with it carlow beforehand. Not easy situation for him. With tj getting older he is going to be our top forward but he needs a break before this years championship

I'd be very disappointed if that sort of carry on took place, and frankly I doubt it did. Many young lads who are handy, simply want to go in and hurl with Kieran’s and modern parents are very obliging in terms of lifts etc for their children.

Kieran’s are far from unique, look at any of the strong hurling schools at moment, plenty lads travelling 15-20 miles to attend with other options much closer to them. Athenry will have lads from Clarinbridge and Ardrahan and Turloughmore. ASR will have good lads from Adare and Kilmallock and Patrickswell.

EvenGood Counsel, lots of lads from Inistioge and Mullinavat, when Ballyhale or Thomastown offer closer schools. Yet Kierans always getting the flak.

As for Gort, they ran a very strong Pres Athenry to 3 points in Connacht final after hammering Loughrea in semi. The days of Kilkenny teams seeing Galway underage teams as a handy tie are long over. Weather will also likely be foul today.

Kierans and Athenry were easily the two best schools at u16 three years ago (the controversial forced replay of the All Ireland Junior final) but Counsel have a fair head of steam now and would be great to see them win it at last.

Astonishingly, Athenry will have Galway senior hurler Gavin Lee playing today. Henry obviously sees him as a huge prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

On the cw game you'd have to feel for them it was a great opportunity but theres no guarantees they'd win the final today. Corcoran done well for ul and I thought the shamrocks were a bit slow last week would he have being better on dessie with mullen only back from injury.That defeat will no doubt linger for a long time but no doubt they'll be back.

gort have a gantley chap at 6 and the goalie is also very good. This should be a good match I don't see anyone hammering anyone kierans have young murphy I think that's his name back today but the other 2 should be back if they win today. Bill Hughes is one amd I've seen him a few times and he looks good from the bridge. It's a wild day and a nice trip to Limerick.

Is Henry involved with thomastown this year the rumour was he was?John o neill going with ballycallan. The ballyhale job will be an attractive job and they'll be the team to beat In kk. The town teams are getting closer.Is mikey Walsh with the boro?

What way are the u20s going?Clifford could be better in defence.is Ian byrne from Glenmore underage I thought he might get a run with the seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Must be remembered alot of these perceived super power schools so to speak have strong academic reputations too so another reason parents are keen to send their children there.

• Advertisement

Let me guess, you got your ‘facts’ from Facebook

Advertisement