Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Agree with all of this... We don't seem to have a game plan at all, we seem to wait until the first water break to have a chat about how we're going to react to what the opposition are doing. It's very frustrating because I honestly believe we have the players but as you say our lack of a puck out strategy and our poor use of the ball in possession shows just how poorly coached this team is. Very very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Post edited by C__MC on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

We were poor under the long puck out last night but the stats only tell a fraction of the real story. The most important thing about the puck out is not the puck outs won, but where and how often the possession turn overs come. Comparing long puck outs won against a team that goes short tells us nothing. If you go long 100% of the time and are winning only 35% against a defense that is playing deep, then 100% of the turnovers against you are happening somewhere in front of the oppositions full back line. You might win 90% of your short puck outs but the important thing to consider is what % of your possessions you still retain by the time you work the ball up to your forwards. You also need to take into account that the turnovers when they come will be much closer to your own goal and also the effort involved in working the ball upfield with a short game.

The amount of running Davy expects his teams to do is ridiculous. We should keep pucking it out long to them all day. They collapsed through exhaustion against us and likewise against Tipp in the semi two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

If Galway win their qualifier, they automatically get Tipp in a quarter final? And a Galway win mean that they play Limerick? Of the others, I wouldn't mind losing to Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A good win, but not a great match.

Leahy and Ryan are stuggling for form, even the basics seem to be beyond tham at the moment.

Murphy and Cody were very good.

The full back line were excellent, especially Huw .

I dont know if it could be heard on the tv coverage, but whats with the booing of TJ when hes lining up his frees?

It probably always went on at games (?) , but its really apparent now in 25% full stadiums !

Hon The CATS !! 🐱

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Was at the game too, and it was the Dub fans doing what they do. Thankfully it's a rareity at most hurling matches. Last time I remember it happening was a KK/Wex game in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Full back line were very good, Deegan gets criticized a lot but he was excellent Saturday so credit where it's due, he always gives 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Conrats to Dublin on their win in the Leinster Final! I assume they won considering Kilkenny are "bang average", "woefully coached" and "septic"!

Do people ever get fed up with constantly giving out? Just this constant moaning! Do these people even like the Kilkenny hurling team? What are these supposed supporters doing on line anyway while the match is going on? Chasing likes?! Are ye not emotionally invested in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know what the story is about getting into the minor game Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I contacted the county board about the availability of tickets for the Under 20 match against Laois last week and was told none were going on sale to the general public. I would imagine it's the same for the two matches this week. If you are a club member, contacted your club would probably be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v GAL U-20

A Tallis

D Fogarty J Young P McDonald

S Staunton S Keoghan P Dempsey

C Kenny P Moylan

L Moore C Kelly J Morrissey

C Brennan T Clifford E Guilfoyle

Subs

D Galway

W Halpin

T Dunne

C Beirne

I Byrne

G Murphy

J Buggy

P Cody

B Drennan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v OFF Minor

A Dunphy

E Rudkins B Hughes K Corcoran

J Fitzpatrick G Dunne E Lyng

K Carey K Doyle

J Walsh H Shine D Sherman

D Glennon T Dunne D Queally

Subs

B Garrett

S Moore

J Neary

C Hackett

B Whitty

P Naddy

B O Neill

F Hogan

A McEvoy

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

The U20 game is the deferred game on TG4 tonight but can be watched on the TG4 app apparently - I assume this is the same as the TG4 live stream on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

No, Dublin V Offaly is on the YouTube channel. Never heard of the TG4 app to be honest

That's what it says on the kilkennygaa twitter account....there is indeed an app - I just downloaded it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Rosita

My understanding is that since Tipperary are Munster runners up the winner of their quarter final will play Kilkenny in the semi final. In the same way that Kilkenny played Waterford last year.

I'm not sure if a desire to avoid repeat pairings (e. g. Cork V Limerick) at semi final times overrides that.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

In Order

Provincial winners are in opposite semi finals.

Provincial finals cannot be repeated in all ireland semi finals

After that repeat pairings are avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Interesting article on breaking ball stats in the examiner. If accurate then we need to improve, as many more knowledgeable posters than me have pointed out on this forum. But I suppose the saying lies, damn lies and statistics comes into play considering Waterford were most successful and Laois just above Wexford as least successful. However if a forward gets a breaking ball in behind then it’s goal time. I can’t post a link here as I’m a newbie. But have a look.

• Advertisement

Hard to know what to make of that game. Never looked like catching them but you'd have to question the team selection considering how many changes were made before they started making any impression on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team be as bad in the first half of a game and then come out and play as good in the 2nd. A few poor decisions near the end but they just left themselves to much to do.

Yea, easy say it from where we are but if Drennan puts it over instead of looking for the killer pass and Guilfoyle puts it over instead of taking an impossible shot it would've got interesting but when you're there and you're being told there's only a couple of minutes left you look for the goal

Another U20 campaign has come and gone with a Kilkenny team having regressed from when that team played minor. Hiding behind the usual lame excuse of Galway being a great team will I predict be shown to be wrong before the year is out. Hard to see too many of that Kilkenny team ever making an impact at senior level. Guilfoyle maybe, Tallis perhaps but that's it. I think only one of the 6 starting forwards scored. We are falling behind in so many areas - let's hope that this result serves as a wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Dear God lads that was pathetic. A lot on here slated Village for his comments he wasn't wrong. I have said it before many times, the best players at this age all along were never looked at. Daddy's son sent in at 14 and stayed there to under 20. Not too many here you would look to for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Fought back well to be fair to the chaps but to be honest I think it just covers up the cracks that have being there for years.As John mullane famously said I loves me county,I have and will drive the country to follow kilkenny but this is year in and year out.This game could of finished as a huge embarrassment but are we just going to go on like we have and say the slow start killed us etc etc.Would it of being better get well bet tonight so that something might be finally done?

The development squads aren't and haven't being working.We can blame manager after manager but the drop off from u17 to u20 is shocking.This has being going on for years.What is happening young lads from minor?I know we aren't mopping up minors but the transition from minor is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

What players should be in that aren't?there was 3 minors brought in after the final who I presume did little training with the u20s which was surprising.I would be slow to blame management the problem is bigger than management.The whole structure is wrong.Has anything changed over the last few years?I know that alot of former players are involved at juvenile level.

Changes were brought in this year to bring more players into the development squads. Benefits of that won't be seen for a few years obviously.

Cork did a root and branch review a few years ago and are now reaping the benefits so possibly something we need to look at. Ultimately it comes down to the quality of coaching and whether it's up to standard, not just in the development squads but at club level.

And, let's be honest, as coaching standards rise throughout the country our small population in comparison to other big hurling counties could start to hurt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Without getting into it about bigger picture stuff.

Why was the galway fullback not sent of for the penalty. Or dose that rule not apply to this grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

That first 15 minutes was some of the worst hurling that I have ever seen from a Kilkenny team, the second 15 minutes was even worse. Lads making 3 attempts to rise a ball, hitting the ball straight to Galway lads, sidelines dreadful, frees hit wide, losing every ruck and 50 50 ball. Even Ciaran Brennan couldn't rise a ball.

I don't believe that the players are that badand they redeemed a small bit of pride in the second half. But we seriously need to address what has gone wrong at underage in Kilkenny

Advertisement