Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Derek Lyng, Michael Rice and Peter Barry - all former Kilkenny greats - deserve huge credit for yesterday's win over Galway. A Galway team that hammered the Kilkenny team in the minor all ireland final in 2019. They face Wexford now in the final who also defeated Kilkenny in the 2019 Leinster Minor Final. Another big test ahead so.

Thankfully past players like Lyng, Rice and Barry are willing to throw in their lot for the good of Kilkenny hurling. And if they do decide to move on, even to another county, at least they've contributed big time in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

For the seniors I would put Richie Reid to centre back, Deegan midfield with Browne or Carey and Blanchfield wing back. Mullen would be named at 15 and given a free role.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What's the backstory with Cody and Shefflin?

Cody's body language and stare during that handshake looked very hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Village87

Yeah they deserve credit for the win. They had to adjust to the modern game and beat Galway at there own game. Look Galway missing 2/3 of there better players helped massively. Great to get over the hurdle and knock them out. Galway seem vulnerable at u21 level, losing out to Dublin in Leinster last year. This team has a great chance of contesting the u20 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Fantastic win for the U20 team. You could see how much it meant to the players and their families. These guys have suffered a lot of heartache against Galway in their underage careers to date. To beat an U20 team which included a pick of 4 All-Ireland minor winning teams is a great achievement but will mean little if they don’t beat Wexford, at the very least. This loss is more damaging to Galway than a draw would have been in the senior match. It continues the trend of Galway been ahead of other counties at minor level but then struggle to replicate the success at U20/U21/Senior level.

I’m delighted for Lyng, Barry & Rice. These guys gave as much to Kilkenny as players as anyone else. Many other former players who won All-Ireland’s during Cody’s reign have also given back to Kilkenny underage. When Cody does eventually depart, the county board should not look outside the county for the new manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

never heard so much crap about a handshake, people seem to be looking for any excuse for him to be gone. Think we might be in for a couple years of disappointment when theres no magic tactics to make this bunch of players any more competitive than they currently are. Getting absolutely massive workrate from them every game, its just not going well for some of them at the moment. Got a month tilll the leinster final, hopefully a few of them can regain some form

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I think I said this last year, but it bears repeating after the episode with Henry.

Cody has spent 24 years endlessly preaching a dogma that no one is bigger than the game, it's about honesty and a collective spirit. It can never be about the individual.

However, the current reality of Kilkenny hurling is largely about one single individual and he is the one who has created the “uno duce, una voce” environment that envelops Kilkenny hurling.

u20's needs a roundrobin or league structure. Ridiculous for Dublin, Offaly and Galway to be gone after only one game after months of training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

Yes it's a horrible structure, they should follow the U17 format and at least get a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

100% agree especially if the ruling is going to stay that senior players can't play u20. So there should be minimal cross over.. Maybe the issue is they need to have u20 completed before the leaving cert and have to wait for fitz and freshers to finish. If that's the case it's a small window..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Agree completely with your post. And aswell this was a round robin game. Not even a Leinster final. One win over Dublin or Wexford and Kilkenny will more than likely be in a Leinster final.

To go back to my previous post. Paidi O'Sé died suddenly in 2012 at 57. If O'Dwyer's last interaction with him was something like Cody's he'd have to live with that. Life is short.

Whatever happens in the 70-75 minutes, when you burst your gut to win, ends with the final whistle. That's my idea of manliness, honour, and how to carry yourself, in victory or defeat. What you try and instill in children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Munster have 6 teams, able to make 2 groups of 3. Leinster trying to cater for 11 teams, needs to be tiered like the minor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Would a win over dublin the next day guarantee us 3rd place in leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Would Jack Canning have been available for Galway if he stayed

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Not surprised by Cody he obviously sees Shefflin as the competition now. I imagine Shefflin moving to Galway was partly motivated by stopping limerick taking the Crown of best team of all time. Both men have a lot to lose with Limericks continued success

we would need galway to beat dublin and it would be down to scoring difference with dublin then for 3rd place i think. Dublin have kk and galway as last two games so assume the scoring difference should be enough

The short answer is no.

7 Points will guarantee top 3.

Galway will have 7 points going into there last game at home v Dublin

Dublin will at best have 8 and worst have 6/7 points going into the last game

Wexford have to win all there games remaining to finish on 7 points and get out of the group.

Kilkenny will have at best 5/6 points going into there last game v Wexford and at worst 4 points.

6 points should be enough if Kilkenny beat Dublin, they will have a better score difference than Dublin and it is hard to see Dublin getting anything out of Salt Hill.

There will be a lot at stake for the last game in Nowlan Park, this game will decide who plays Leinster final, who is knocked out, who finished 3rd

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Score difference might not come in to it as Galway and Wexford are likely to end up on an odd number of points with Kilkenny and Dublin on an even number of points. Head to head will apply if two teams are level. That's why it's vital to beat Dublin as there is a real chance that ourselves and Dublin could end up on 6 points. Of course, another draw, especially between ourselves and Dublin will throw all that out the window. I believe beating Dublin will give us a right chance of finishing at least third but more than likely we will have a knockout game with Wexford in round 5.

The Dublin game is massive as the losers of this game are in big trouble, especially Dublin

• Advertisement

be a disaster of a year if they dont beat dublin and wexford, neither are going too well. Dublin lacking forwards and wexford i think have gone back a good bit from where they were

Dublin I agree are limited and if Donal Burke is kept quite they could struggle for scores but we only had two fowrds last sunday so they'll feel if codyis kept quite we'llstruggle. Sutcliffe and crummy will want to put ina good performance after the poor one in the league. Its a pity Darren mullen isn't fit he'd make a great sweeper and is very intelligent and good on the ball. I know some think Richie Reid is too slow but I'd probably gamble with him at 6 and deegan a defending midfielder. Buckley has being a great servant but was woefull the other day and himself and Billy Ryan done well to stay as long as they did. Can't belive Shane Walsh couldn't make the 26.i think maher and donnelly are better when things open up but we could see fogarty or leahy both could be an option. Huge game and a must win against Dublin cause galway will probably beat Dublin altho if true they mightnt risk anyone with knocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

like Sally o Brien the way he might look at you ,i suppose the horrible way kilkenny were beaten i say has a lot to do with it. Henry lost a county final when it was over ran down the tunnel in Nowlan park fecked off was not gracious in defeat. None of us are perfect but this thing of the way he looked at him is a joke flaky people having a say.

Shane Walsh badly needed a score against laois to settle him, tried hard. Is Leahy fully fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Limerick have an awful long way to go before they achieve that. Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Leahy shouldn't be on the panel if not fully fit so you would have to say he os altho tj definitely didn't look right Sunday.

U20 Confirmed for next Monday in cw at 7.30. Pity shine will be out but they have a few good subs. It would be great to get the win and get to the all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Any confirmation on nature of Shines injury. Looked like the hamstring and a bas one at that which means he could be out for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Cork underage is the bar now???

Lost minor and u20 semi's this week.. pretty low bar.

Clare have being dreadful for years at underage but have some very good young players.Cork have definitely got their act together underage tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Galway U20 played into the hand of Kilkenny U20 by playing like Kilkenny as the match went on and lumping ball forward which the Kilkenny backs cleaned up. If other teams played in a similar fashion, the gap would be narrower. Watching a number of club games in the last few weeks, the style of play is similar to the Kilkenny County team. It is going to take a few years to change the style and I am not even sure that there is a desire to change styles. I noticed in particular how few balls are thrown in Kilkenny club games at all levels and ages even though this is pervasive in a lot of other counties, possibly with the exception of Tipperary and Galway

Advertisement