Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

It is a little worrying alright but does confirm what a lot have been saying on here with a considerable time. There are some on here that may think its some kind of a witch hunt against current management but from my point of view there's nothing personal at all in most of the posts. Hurling is a vital part of our lives and we get so consumed by it that we see objectively where improvements can be made and there's no doubt if we vary our play and distribution we can compete with any team in the country. It doesn't happen overnight but the crux of it is that the way you play in training invariably tends to be the way you apply yourself out on the field. As an intercounty team we never give in and always give 100% but progression can come that little bit easier if we attempt to do the right things in the right manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Those figures must be turned into a 12ft by 8ft banner and placed at Brian Cody's house (ala Bishop Brennan). If he can't see the error of these pre-historic methods now, it has to be time for him to go, voluntarily or otherwise, although we all know how unlikely it is that he will be pushed.

The contrast between the way our seniors hurled on Saturday and the way our U21s hurled so cleverly on Sunday is stark. It was fantastic to watch. Was that the first KK team ever to play with a sweeper? Peter McDonald did a great job in the role.

The sister's young lad is on the u14s, the first one ever in our family to wear black and amber, and I went out to their game in Comer on Saturday. Thankfully the lads over them have those young lads using the ball well and hurling really smartly. It was a joy to watch how they hurled as they dismantled Dublin. It may be just small shoots and it will take a long time but the signs are encouraging nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Yep, good stats and a relatively easy fix. Don`t know what some are getting so depressed about. I think there is a case for Blanchfield to come back in. I thought his distribution and short passing was excellent in the league games. He also has the pace to deal with runners coming from deep. Nobody seems to want to address the elephant in the room which is TJ`s form or more correctly lack of it. If he is being hindered by an injury then surely he shouldn`t be starting, particularly at 11.

Anyway, the reality on Saturday night was that Wexford`s back was to the wall but we had a back door. I wasn`t surprised at all that they showed the greater hunger. I think there is a big performance in this KK team and we may get it in the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Relatively easy fix...... biggest worry there is that we have been doing the.same thing for years now..made a hero out of ronan maher in the 2019 all Ireland..do it against cork every time we meet do it towards the end of every game when getting tired

Management deserve some of the blame but I also think a group of grown men should be accountable for their own actions on the pitch

I am a big fan of blanchfield but he appears to have fallen down the pecking order which is a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Richie Reid on a number of occasions on Saturday turned through 180 degrees so that he could strike the ball off his left and lost any time he had to pick out a player in space and ended up lumping the ball forward. I understand that Huw Lawlor should be ready to play so I would go with Darren Brennan, Mikey Butler, Conor Delaney, Tommy Walsh, Michael Carey, Huw Lawlor and David Blanchfield in the backs. Adrian Mullen said Alan Murphy in midfield. Mossy Keoghan, TJ, Walter Walsh, Billy Ryan, TJ, Eoin Cody. Alan Murphy taking frees. If Paddy Deegan has to be picked, I would play him instead of Tommy Walsh. Hopefully that half back line would make good use of the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Unfortunately by the look of it, Cody doesn't see it as a problem so in his eyes there's nothing to fix in that regard. The shorter game was more or less abandoned the other night.

We've been lumping high ball in since before TJ was in his prime (and we did that to great effect for a long time), so while his poor form is a blow for us, it's got little to do with the ball being delivered into the forwards.

I agree re Blanchfield, great use of the ball. Whatever he did or didn't do, he's out of favour. He must be too good at the short game

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Marrooned

back to the u20 Was the media trying to slight our well deserved victory with that save by the Limerick goalie which was saved,but they failed to mention Gearoid Dunne’s point signaled wide on 25.10 . Would someone be able to inform these podcasts to highlight this seen as the media are all about balance and FairPlay . I think the Boro are holding a homecoming for them on Saturday. As regards the seniors. Mossy dragged off weather he is good or bad ,Blanchfield did nothing wrong in the league and finds himself on the bench.John Donnelly,Richie Reid,Billy Ryan all looking over their shoulders waiting to be hauled off that’s some confidence building and I forgot about Walter getting roared at by a jackass from the start against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Dunnes shot looked over the bar, just. Never mentioned again, no replay of it.

Why was Hawkeye not in operation at Semple Stadium I wonder, or is that only for senior intercounty? Would have solved it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

With TJ struggling in one position, I don't think it's fair to expect him to play in two. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

You don't see the connection quite rightly because there isn't any. The idea that wrong decisions "tend to balance out" has no basis in evidence and is no less true for constant repetition. The most basic task in any match is to keep the score. That this happened at a venue which has hawkeye available is farcical.

No you don't. You play the teams you are drawn against.

Less time on the ball at a higher level, and more pressure in a game where he's not always winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Management deserve the blame simply because if the players aren't playing to their instructions then take them off. I'm fed up reading and listening to Eoin Murphy, and others, getting slated for his displays when he doesn't select himself or can he substitute himself. The manager has total responsibility, end of.

Yeah, TJ Reid papered over cracks with aeriel ability but his day is done. New plan certainly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

But that backdoor was firmly shut if Dublin got a win or draw in Salthill, I know that seemed unlikely but this championship has been full of surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think horgan is the best ref in the country but thought he got those shoulders so wrong I know it's a tough job the ref has. in my opinion the whistle is blown far too much and I'm not one of these guys that says let them cut the heads of each other. fellas falling and getting frees for nothing a lot of the time from what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The whole hurling world is talking about our braindead tactics and the way we are so one dimensional. Its not just a few of us on here talking about it. Players and management have obviously heard all this but this isn't something new. We've pointed out already this year as soon as pressure came on against cork,galway and wexford we played right into their hands .Tipp infairness are in year one with new players and management but the core of our team are a few years together and we have no style and we're no further advanced than we were a few years ago.I honestly think that we're not progressing and when thats happening it crys out for change.We all agree wexford deserved the win and fair play to them but this was a chronic display from us.The changes before the match and the delay in bringing on lads was also terrible. I actually think it was unfair starting Tom phelan he's out of his dept completely and lads like shane Walsh must be scratching his head he can't even make the panel or blanchfield can't make the team. I agree the players are in charge once they cross the white line and as experienced senior inter County players they have to take some responsibility for the terrible clearances and deliveries. You play to your strengths and you give the attacker the best chance.look at our u20s,they had a plan they stuck to it and they mixed the ball going in and gave it to the guy in the better position.Ultimately the buck stops with management. We're a very poorly coached team and you would wonder what we actually do in training. The stats above are embarrassing and it makes a mockery of the guy doing stats but I doubt he has much of a say anyway.

It's very hard to get excited about the leinster final but a defeat here and cody will definitely be under pressure. I do expect a reaction from us. There's no doubt players will be fierce dissapointed with that performance but Henry will put mannion on cody and when he's quite scores will dry up. Somethings not right with tj. He is missing frees he would never miss. He will have to throw the dice with a few players. We just can't get midfield right. What we would do for a enforcer like will o donaghoe right now.Hopefully huw will be back. He's our best option at full back and he must remain here imo. We can of course fix alot of the problems we have but if we can't do it over the last few years we definitely won't do it in two weeks. We will mix it up,come under pressure and go back to our old ways.Darren mullen would be a much better sitting 6 if he could get fit. He has excellent vision and his distribution is very good.

Murphy

Butler,lawlor,walsh

Carey,Reid,blanchfield

Fogarty, deegan

Mullen,padraig,wally

Cody,tj,kenny

I have said several times we need new management..they made some baffling decisions both tactically and in personell ov er the last few seasons.

However it is simply ridiculous in my opinion to blame them completely..if.a team wins do the management get all the credit..I should hope not..you can't have it both ways. End of

• Advertisement

For years we were all saying how great it is that no one is guaranteed a jersey..now its lads are afraid to hurl because if they underperform they will be taken off..too right they should be taken off..

A change in Tactics would improve things but not by much I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Horgan is a poor ref. Has previous for giving those against KK, Fogarty in the AI semi last yr too. Mossy was climbed all over just before HT and he waved it on too. There was quite a few from up north at the game Saturday and they couldn't get over how bad he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

experts of the game praising horgan no end for his officiating. he's the best ref by a distance. let's the game go as much as possible. would be some ref for the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Think I would be considering Alan Murphy, the way things are going he should be on the frees. Mullen definitely needs to be out of midfield, not sure on Fogarty though, but options are pretty limited. Whats happening with Leahy, is he ever going to get game time?

If Hue is back, I wouldn't mind seeing Carey given another go at midfield, shuffle things around a bit at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

wouldn't be reading too much into Kk v Wexford. Kk pretty much had a safety net to fall into. should be a good leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Carey was wing back in front of us in the second half last Saturday. He is made of the right stuff that lad, he is tough as nails, strong, fast and good in the air.

Definitely could be lookedat midfield, he has all the attributes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Did A Murphy have many positives contributions Saturday? Game seemed to pass him by. Mullen was dropping deep to pick up the out ball out of defence but deegan and R Reid seemed not to look for him instead they turned onto their left gritted their teeth ala packie bonner in Italian 90 hoofed the ball up the field as far as they could.

Id be very suprised if both start the next day. Potentially huw may go to centre back and maybe blanchfield will come in wing back. And maybe p walsh for A murphy.

Sadly TJ does not possess the aerial threat he once did.

dropping 2-3 points every match from frees at the moment, wasn't one of his better games alright but might be worth it to have solid free taker. Neither Phelan, TJ or Wally are going to win much in the air, was just crazy what went on for most of the game. More likely see R Reid dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭robwen

Surely Padraig Walsh is worth a try at midfield at this stage

• Advertisement

Hasn’t been tried in goal either :)

he’s been moved around enough, he was doing well where he was

Advertisement