Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

spindex wrote: »
    I doubt it very much, I'd say slane would sell 15k tickets no matter who was playing. I'd reckon blur without an outstanding support line up would only pull another 30k max.

I dunno, think your underestimating their enduring popularity. More loved in UK than Ireland though in fairness so maybe your right

dobman88 wrote: »
    No chance. They wouldn't sell out the Academy.

Give over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Give over

Yeah, fair enough the Academy is a pisstake but they've had their day and there is absolutely no chance they'd come close to Slane. Probably somewhere like the Olympia, maybe the 3arena at an absolute push with decent support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

mightyreds wrote: »
    Ah yeah I'm only joking with you, my original point wasn't that Dermot Kennedy should play but the likes of him and picture this have the selling power and I'm sure the owner wouldn't turn down the money either.

My preference would be ACDC. If Metallica did it again which is unlikely I'd buy a ticket in a second that was awesome.

Metallica would be the only reason I'd go back to Slane. Wonder would they pull as big a crowd second time round? There would have to be a pretty decent support line up to entice me back. The support acts in 2019 were sh1te

Yeah, fair enough the Academy is a pisstake but they've had their day and there is absolutely no chance they'd come close to Slane. Probably somewhere like the Olympia, maybe the 3arena at an absolute push with decent support.

Blur were the second biggest band of their generation in UK and Ireland, and in the UK and Ireland, I'd nearly wager they've outsold most other bands mentioned here. Obviously miles behind worldwide.

When they played Kilmainhin it was out the door, would have sold far more had it been bigger. Pearl Jam or AC/DC for example, far bigger worldwide bands, but were never close to being as big as Blur in UK and Ireland only.

They've come back several times due to huge demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Blur were the second biggest band of their generation in UK and Ireland, and in the UK and Ireland, I'd nearly wager they've outsold most other bands mentioned here. Obviously miles behind worldwide.

When they played Kilmainhin it was out the door, would have sold far more had it been bigger. Pearl Jam or AC/DC for example, far bigger worldwide bands, but were never close to being as big as Blur in UK and Ireland only.

Fair enough. I just disagree.

Edit: I disagree that they're big enough to do Slane. I dont disagree with your post.

Fair enough. I just disagree.

Edit: I disagree that they're big enough to do Slane. I dont disagree with your post.

The British image they played up to stunted their popularity in Ireland I'd suppose. Hard to gauge their popularity in Ireland really. Loved in Britain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Metallica would be the only reason I'd go back to Slane. Wonder would they pull as big a crowd second time round? There would have to be a pretty decent support line up to entice me back. The support acts in 2019 were sh1te

Part of me hopes this doesn’t happen. We waited so long for it and when it finally happened it was so good that I sort of wish they leave it at one and we can treasure that memory. Then again, if they return, I’ll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't think there's many big rock bands that would draw the size of crowd they'd want with the likes of GnR,Metallica,FF, Bon Jovi etc having played in recent years so can't really see them doing Slane again so quickly. U2 or Rolling Stones maybe? Surely it has to be AC/DC tho! Don't know if Maiden would that sort of crowd. Unless they go for the Irish route with the likes of Dermot Kennedy, Picture This who have a massive following. I hope it's AC/DC, Slane and rock go well together

Love the Stones but was disgusted with their ticket prices in Croke Park. Hard to rock with a band who are clearly only there to take your wallet to the cleaners. "Street fighting man" they one sang. Now we see Jagger fannying about with the aristocracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Blur bigger then AC/DC or Pearl jam?

Ah come off it

Blur would struggle to sell out the 3arena,

Both of the above could do multiple nights. Hell both could sell out the Aviva, blur wouldn’t even come close

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Does Pearl Jam have that big of a following here? They're a band I could never get into

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

I think the list of who could sell Slane gets smaller each year. IMHO these are the only realistic ones:

Bruce Springsteen
    AC/DC
    Oasis (reformed)
    Paul McCartney
    U2
    Metallica
    Rolling Stones

With a strong supporting bill you could bring some of these into the mix as headliner:

Adele
    Elton John
    Rod Stewart
    Beyonce
    Taylor Swift
    Westlife
    Ed Sheeran
    Fleetwood Mac
    Coldplay
    Radiohead
    Muse
    The Killers

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

corm500 wrote: »
    I think the list of who could sell Slane gets smaller each year. IMHO these are the only realistic ones:

Bruce Springsteen
    AC/DC
    Oasis (reformed)
    Paul McCartney
    U2
    Metallica
    Rolling Stones

With a strong supporting bill you could bring some of these into the mix as headliner:

Adele
    Elton John
    Rod Stewart
    Beyonce
    Taylor Swift
    Westlife
    Ed Sheeran
    Fleetwood Mac
    Coldplay
    Radiohead
    Muse
    The Killers

If you're gonna throw in reforming bands to fill Slane, you may as well put in Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Never gonna happen, but you never know!

I'd say a reformed ABBA would sell out too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

corm500 wrote: »

Bruce Springsteen
    AC/DC
    Oasis (reformed)
    Paul McCartney
    U2
    Metallica
    Rolling Stones

Adele
    Elton John
    Rod Stewart
    Beyonce
    Taylor Swift
    Westlife
    Ed Sheeran

Fleetwood Mac
    Coldplay
    Radiohead
    Muse
    The Killers

Those highlighted have sold out at least one night in Croker on their own (without relying on the support bill) so they would easily fill Slane and Adele would easily sell it out too.

Those highlighted have sold out at least one night in Croker on their own (without relying on the support bill) so they would easily fill Slane and Adele would easily sell it out too.

Other than maybe Coldplay though, none of them are that “Slaney”. No more than Madonna though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Blur bigger then AC/DC or Pearl jam?

Ah come off it

Blur would struggle to sell out the 3arena,

Both of the above could do multiple nights. Hell both could sell out the Aviva, blur wouldn’t even come close

You're totally of your rocker.

Blur sold out Kilmainham in 2013, capacity 23,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You're totally of your rocker.

Blur sold out Kilmainham in 2013, capacity 23,000.

52,000 were in the Aviva for AC/DC in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I would LOVE to see Metallica come back to Slane especially with a good line up backing them

Blur wouldn’t sell out Slane now. Back at their peak maybe but not now...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,398 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any band with a hit will sell out most stadia in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

52,000 were in the Aviva for AC/DC in 2015.

Sure were i was one of them. But to say Blur wouldn’t sell out the 3 arena is just.. a stretch to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any band with a hit will sell out most stadia in Ireland

At this stage, one of those 2 man wedding bands would sell out Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Does Pearl Jam have that big of a following here? They're a band I could never get into

Massive. They also have a huge travelling fanbase. They'd sell out Slane for sure.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

Could RHCP return? Frusciante is back, would it sell well? They were suposed to tour last year

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

PsychoPete wrote: »

Yes, Yes they do. Eddie Vedder alone sold out the Point/Three/O2 whatever its called.

Pearl Jam/The Frames I think would be a class gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I couldn’t believe that people were saying Metallica would only pull around 50k before they were announced. When I got there I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people in one place in my life. It was most certainly full and if memory serves me was their highest attended gig of 2019 in which there were many stadiums on the tour.

To be fair, i think 50k ish was a fair estimate before the gig. Their previous gigs were probably in the 30 -40k mark and the Slane factor plus not having played in 10 years meant 50k was about right.

Also the Cure were playing the same day which makes the 70k+ crowd even more impressive.

Was a great day out!

Degag wrote: »
    To be fair, i think 50k ish was a fair estimate before the gig. Their previous gigs were probably in the 30 -40k mark and the Slane factor plus not having played in 10 years meant 50k was about right.

Also the Cure were playing the same day which makes the 70k+ crowd even more impressive.

Was a great day out!

But clearly the 50k estimate was not about right because when it happened it was closer to 80k. I’m confused?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    But clearly the 50k estimate was not about right because when it happened it was closer to 80k. I’m confused?!

What i’m saying is that i think 50k was a reasonably fair estimate before the gig taking all factors into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

rtron wrote: »

QUOTE]Originally Posted by PsychoPete View Post

Yes, Yes they do. Eddie Vedder alone sold out the Point/Three/O2 whatever its called.

Pearl Jam/The Frames I think would be a class gig.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they would sell out Slane very quickly. As has been said, they have a large and mobile fanbase (Saw them in the O2 in London a couple of years ago myself). And, as has been said, Vedder (Well, with Hansard) on his own sells out The Point pretty much instantly.

Vedder in The Point in 2017 was just simply electric. See if you can find the audio of "Elderly Woman" and string quartet (Well quintet I suppose) of "Jeremy" from 2017 Point gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Surprised No one mentioned Foo Fighters or Green Day

Advertisement