Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newsreader Danny Keown RTE

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Danny the newsreader was first brought up in a post, on Page 5, in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106156&page=5
    30-08-2020, 00:06

Some poster suggested that he was of the blind community and reading in braile

He has been there for nearly one year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

bobbyss wrote: »
    Does RTE HAVE TO advertise vacancies? If there was some kind of competition it would be interesting under FOI (if it exists in this situation) to get the results of interviews held, the scores attributed to each candidate and the names of the people who interviewed. All that stuff.

You could FoI the process. Numbers that applied for the role, number of interviews, number of second interviews and so on.

As for personal information you wouldn't be able to get that, unless you applied for the job yourself and even then you would only get the details of your interview and application, long with notes about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Elmo wrote: »
    This is crazy if true

Why? It's RTÉ. Nothing of their entire output is original, creative or in anyway fresh or groundbreaking. Why should the recruitment of relatives of high profile staff or contractors be any different and consequently be described as 'crazy'? It's been part of the fabric there for decades. A bad newsreader or six within RTÉ is entirely usual. Some of the overnighters like Noel Fogarty or Peter Ferris are exceptional but many are abject. Commercial stations will have mostly quite competent and often excellent readers compared to Clare Byrne's cousin and the like. RTÉ is a law unto itself and this is a tiny fragment of the wider disorder and calamity it is in for donkey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Cole wrote: »
    I presume you believe that you pronounce th 'correctly' (which is generally perceived to be the 'standard' Received Pronunciation version). I'd say you might find it revealing if you were analysed by a phonologist. Of course teachers have to teach to an agreed 'standard', but if someone ultimately falls within a range of th pronunciation...as most Irish English speakers do...then so be it. We can't or shouldn't try to insist on a (high) 'standard' th pronunciation that is not inherent in the way that we speak English in Ireland. Our th pronunciation comes from when we started to move from speaking Irish to English centuries ago (influenced by Irish)...embrace it.

All very well, but it doesn't quite explain the widespread misuse of the "th" sound where a plain "t" would be appropriate - there's a recent thread on this.

Clearly many people are able to produce the "th" sound, but are confused at to where it should apply.

E.g. "th"readmill, Thighland (the country elsewhere known as Tie-land). The most glaring example is the recent RSA radio ad imploring drivers to check their "thread" depth.

And most seem able to produce the"th" at the end of "width" and "depth", as well as the rather idiosyncratic "heighth".

Anyway, what harm. It keeps me entertained.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

All very well, but it doesn't quite explain the widespread misuse of the "th" sound where a plain "t" would be appropriate - there's a recent thread on this.

Clearly many people are able to produce the "th" sound, but are confused at to where it should apply.

E.g. "th"readmill, Thighland (the country elsewhere known as Tie-land). The most glaring example is the recent RSA radio ad imploring drivers to check their "thread" depth.

And most seem able to produce the"th" at the end of "width" and "depth", as well as the rather idiosyncratic "heighth".

Yeah I agree, Tomas v Thomas, particularly when most Irish Tom's are Tomás/Tomas.

I think it's an overcorrection for most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why? It's RTÉ. Nothing of their entire output is original, creative or in anyway fresh or groundbreaking. Why should the recruitment of relatives of high profile staff or contractors be any different and consequently be described as 'crazy'? It's been part of the fabric there for decades. A bad newsreader or six within RTÉ is entirely usual. Some of the overnighters like Noel Fogarty or Peter Ferris are exceptional but many are abject. Commercial stations will have mostly quite competent and often excellent readers compared to Clare Byrne's cousin and the like. RTÉ is a law unto itself and this is a tiny fragment of the wider disorder and calamity it is in for donkey's.

Exactly, I recall reports of RTE bidding €12 million for 49% of Maximum Media (Joe.ie) :D
    https://www.businesspost.ie/media-marketing/rte-made-eur12-million-offer-for-a-stake-in-maximum-media-02f04c86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Linguistic hypercorrection - this is where (in an Irish context) people are so hung up on being 'correct' with the th that they put it into places where it doesn't have to go. We've been ridiculed for so long about this feature of Irish English that a kind of collective 'chip' has developed on our shoulders about getting it right (or wrong).

Anyway, we're probably diverting the thread (or should that be tread) away from Danny...although I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The 'Irish' th is not the same sound as a t sound.

It's a palatised t, sounding in between t and th (as pronounced correctly in English, not the f sound many dialects use for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭kazoo106

First of all, I think most of them need to learn how to pronounce the word "news" correctly.

Mostly it's pronounced "Noos" on RTE as opposed to the correct "Nyooz"

Mind you these prople also have trouble with New and Newry !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

kazoo106 wrote:
    First of all, I think most of them need to learn how to pronounce the word "news" correctly.

kazoo106 wrote:

kazoo106 wrote:

I just think people are impressionable and copy what they think is trendy or cool. The Dublin Bus lady will refer us to their Twidder page. I heard the insufferable Katherine Thomas say the same last week. A lot of presenters have this tendency. It's odd but by and large I don't often hear mainstream BBC presenters speak like this.
    I do not think Danny Boy speaks like this either. He pauses. MID sentence. And.
    Puts THE. emphasis ON.
    the wrong. Words.

Surely Dee what's her name is listening?

It is Danny's overall delivery, his stumbling flow and tone that seems to be the issue for people on this thread and in a previous Radio 1 thread from last year, not just his pronunciation of words (maybe there is a separate thread for that??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

It is Danny's overall delivery, his stumbling flow and tone that seems to be the issue for people on this thread and in a previous Radio 1 thread from last year, not just his pronunciation of words (maybe there is a separate thread for that??)

Agreed. Maybe it is a thread that should be split because there are two lines of argument going through this. If Danny or anybody connected to him is reading this, they're probably hoping that it'll go down the Hiberno-English pronunciation route, rather than people rightfully pointing out what a poor newsreader he is.

I didn't know he had been reading the news for as long as he is. It seems people noticed how bad he was a year ago. I listened to that more recently clip linked to earlier in the thread. It's clear that a year of reading the news has not sharpened this chap's skills at all and that he is not fit for purpose. If probation exists in RTE (unlikely) he should be told "thanks but no thanks" and sent on his way. He still sounds like a kid in Leaving Cert being asked to read a passage from a textbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Frankly, we don't need to split threads, or hairs.

He's gash, and shouldn't be there.

Has morale in RTE gone so low (despite their high end salaries) that they have lost all sense of pride?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Listening to him read the news on the pivotal judgement on the George Floyd killing was.....well lets just say he makes Lottie Ryan sound professional.

Can anyone confirm he is another nepotism hire?

• Advertisement

She is ten times better than Danny (her articles are rambling). She skipped over a few words and missed a few.

Perhaps they haven't quite figured out what multimedia journalists are supposed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

One of those forecasters has a stammer and despite that, does a very good job

I think it's great that they give a chance to the likes of this guy he has a big problem with the letter f but hes doing ok

Met Eireann forecasters have always been professional meteorologists, as opposed to unthinking TV friendly chatterbots and they are quite proud of the fact.

I think they're dead right!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

Met Eireann forecasters have always been professional meteorologists, as opposed to unthinking TV friendly chatterbots and they are quite proud of the fact.

I think they're dead right!

Who’s the lad that does the weather on Ireland am (virgin media)

Who’s the lad that does the weather on Ireland am (virgin media)

Martin King or Deric O hArtigan (sp?)

Neither are meteorologist just presenters.

• Advertisement

Hartigan is about as much of a weather expert as I am.

(I'm not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

kazoo106 wrote: »

Nyooz?

For as long as I can remember news has been correctly pronounced per it's spelling, news.

Nyooz?

For as long as I can remember news has been correctly pronounced per it's spelling, news.

you mean "Neuuuu-iiss" :pac:

Matt Cooper started that Nooooze crap

Experienced broadcasters / newsreaders who are out of work and newly qualified 'clear and good' broadcasting/journalism graduates would give their right arm to read the news on RTE, whatever the shift.

So how did DK succeed in the selection process? or was there such a process?

Post a link, if you can please.

Yes if somebody could post a link, I'd like to hear him too.

Elmo wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11319489

55mins in Met Eireann guy, who has an accent and is meterlogist and does a flowing job just with a slight stammer (I have no issue, he's not RTÉ).

1:01 in a professional newsreader. (Martin Frawley)

3:01 The person we are talking about. His pauses are in all the wrong places.

above

Stops at 2:52 before he speaks :(

This thread must be pretty distressing for the young guy you're all talking about, asking for clips to share, etc.

Not sure if this is appropriate at all tbh.

Closing this - Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement