Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small trimmers for edges

Options
  • 26-06-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭

So I am looking for a strimmers to cut edges and corners that I can't access with a ride on lawnmower, Would prefer a petrol or battery operated trimmer. What would people recommend with a budget of €200 approx?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I think it all depends on how big your garden and those corners are.

I currently own both a petrol and a battery strimmer and had a corded electric strimmer in the past.

I absolutely hate doing edging with the petrol strimmer. The extra size and weight make it a complete pain. When I had the corded strimmer, spending time messing around with extension leads was a no-brainer when it was so light and easy to use compared to the petrol. Battery one is much handier of course.

An electric one will struggle a bit if those corners are large and seldom trimmed. There's a separate category of more heavy-duty electric ones (stihl etc.) but they're big and heavy like the petrol ones and aren't in your budget anyway.

Which battery one? There isn't one I think is worth spending €200 on (even though some of the light-duty ones cost almost €300). Unless you have existing tools with compatible batteries I would just wait until aldi/lidl have one in. You should be able to get the strimmer and some extra batteries for 100-ish.

If you want to go for the heavier petrol ones then I would just go for something like this - a pretty much identical version is available in woodies/lidl/etc. (pretty sure they're all from the same factory). It's not stellar quality but plenty for home use. The extra bits end up being handy for other stuff around the garden, which presumably you do with a ride-on mower.

Petrol or electric?
    If it's mostly edging then go with electric. Lots of strimming then go with the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I think it all depends on how big your garden and those corners are.

I currently own both a petrol and a battery strimmer and had a corded electric strimmer in the past.

I absolutely hate doing edging with the petrol strimmer. The extra size and weight make it a complete pain. When I had the corded strimmer, spending time messing around with extension leads was a no-brainer when it was so light and easy to use compared to the petrol. Battery one is much handier of course.

An electric one will struggle a bit if those corners are large and seldom trimmed. There's a separate category of more heavy-duty electric ones (stihl etc.) but they're big and heavy like the petrol ones and aren't in your budget anyway.

Which battery one? There isn't one I think is worth spending €200 on (even though some of the light-duty ones cost almost €300). Unless you have existing tools with compatible batteries I would just wait until aldi/lidl have one in. You should be able to get the strimmer and some extra batteries for 100-ish.

If you want to go for the heavier petrol ones then I would just go for something like this - a pretty much identical version is available in woodies/lidl/etc. (pretty sure they're all from the same factory). It's not stellar quality but plenty for home use. The extra bits end up being handy for other stuff around the garden, which presumably you do with a ride-on mower.

Petrol or electric?
    If it's mostly edging then go with electric. Lots of strimming then go with the petrol.

Perfect thanks for such great feedback,I have a large petrol strimmers as well but as you said its too big for small corners,some bits are a bit far away from the house for electrical so I might look into a battery operated one,thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I've had a few cordless strimmers, last one gave up and I needed one and couldn't wait for Aldi/Lidl so got this one in Screwfix, more expensive than a supermarket one but streets ahead of the older ones I had. Very pleased with it.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mgtp18li-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-grass-trimmer/5071r

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

phormium wrote: »
    I've had a few cordless strimmers, last one gave up and I needed one and couldn't wait for Aldi/Lidl so got this one in Screwfix, more expensive than a supermarket one but streets ahead of the older ones I had. Very pleased with it.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mgtp18li-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-grass-trimmer/5071r

Thanks,that is along the lines of what I want

Advertisement