Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdF 2021 - Stage 1 Brest -Landerneau(197.8km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thomas finished with Roglic et al, Carapaz lost 5s, Porte 2mins, No sign of TGH
    Guess thats the end of 4 leaders

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Thomas and 1 other in the final group. That'll be the 4 captains pretence out the window now

Carapaz but he was gapped, 5 second behind Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

retalivity wrote: »
    Thomas finished with Roglic et al, Carapaz lost 5s, Porte 2mins, No sign of TGH
    Guess thats the end of 4 leaders

It's also a good argument for 4 leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'd say he went at 2k with thinking he'd drag away maybe 3 with him. Fair play to him, that was class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just seen the poor guy at the side of the road with the bike, he got cleared out by the crashers. Wasn't too far away from a child. Could have been horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Froome is in rag order. I doubt he will be back tomorrow. Took some balls to finish the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The person with that banner was very retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dan Martin is 5+ minutes down apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hopefully the spectator that caused the 1st crash can be found. a night in the cells wouldnt do any harm.

Hah what is this existential interview with Cees Bol??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Jaysus the state of wiggins

• Registered Users Posts: 26,163 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's also a good argument for 4 leaders.

I wonder what would have happened if all 4 got caught out as 3 may have had to burn themselves for 1.

TBH I don't believe Porte or Hart were ever truely considered captains

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

hopefully the spectator that caused the 1st crash can be found. a night in the cells wouldnt do any harm.

Shouldn't be too hard to catch them and apply some sort of justice:

mmk9fGf.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The second crash was even worse apart from the idiotic cause ofcourse.
    A spectator standing with his bike took a right slap and a child was close to being collected too,the peleton was travelling a lot faster for the second one too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dan Martin is 5+ minutes down apparently

Bad day for ISN. Woods more than 8 minutes down and as Wiggins just said Froome's chances of winning a 5th TdF are doubtful now too (I like to think our partisan commentators in a situation like this would be realistic - clown).

mewso wrote: »
    Bad day for ISN. Woods more than 8 minutes down and as Wiggins just said Froome's chances of winning a 5th TdF are doubtful now too (I like to think our partisan commentators in a situation like this would be realistic - clown).

They were caught out pretty bad in the second crash.
    Another good chance for Dan tomorrow though in a climb he won on before

mewso wrote: »

Any hopes ISN had of putting up a GC Challenge are dead in the water, Woods was the main man, Froome had no hope even before the crash, and Dan was clearly only there for support and/or Stage hunting after a full gas Giro campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Good day for the lads

18im2.jpg

Inquitus wrote: »
    Any hopes ISN had of putting up a GC Challenge are dead in the water, Woods was the main man, Froome had no hope even before the crash, and Dan was clearly only there for support and/or Stage hunting after a full gas Giro campaign.

They are better off getting those notions out of the way quick.

Tomorrow could be one of the very few times where there are so many huge timegaps a break could take stage 2

List of GC Fringe Riders and Team Leaders who lost out today.

fu464Rb.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

List of GC Fringe Riders and Team Leaders who lost out today.

There will be lots of lads "concentrating on stage wins" in the media tomorrow!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just saw it now.

What an absolute silly f*CK.

One person has potentially ruined the entire thing or at the very least altered the course entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Apparently Allez Opi-Omi which was written on the idiots cardboard sign that caused the first crash means Go Grandma and Grandpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I took no pleasure in watching that stage today. Hopefully tomorrow is better!

Porte looked to be struggling to find his place in the peloton. I'm not surprised he lost time at the end. Ineos all in now for Thomas, with Carapaz a wildcard but with intentions of picking up a stage for himself.

Pog and Rog looked good, but UAE and Jumbo took big hits in the crashes. We'll see how that plays out later on.

Van der Poel was bitterly disapointed at the end. Big pressure on him, but both he and Van Aert were keen to mention to reporters that the finale was far harder than it looked on paper.

JA... what a rider! In reality, on a finish like that, was there any doubt? Same again tomorrow? I think he's the safest bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

topnotch wrote: »
    Apparently Allez Opi-Omi which was written on the idiots cardboard sign that caused the first crash means Go Grandma and Grandpa.
    Hopefully, a gendarme gave them a kick up the arse which leaves them walking like their grandparents for few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Disaster of a day for ISN. Does anyone know why Woods was so far behind? Froome was banged up to bits and still finished ahead of him.

Also a disaster for Jumbo Visma just because of how many of their riders came down hard in the crash(es)

Ironically enough prob a really good day for Ineos. Now they can stop with the 4 captains BS and just ride for Thomas with carapaz as the back up.

JA is a class act and a really classy finish but I just don’t believe he can win the whole thing. He doesn’t have the team to get him through the mountains

JA is a class act and a really classy finish but I just don’t believe he can win the whole thing. He doesn’t have the team to get him through the mountains

Agreed, but he could put together a lengthy run in the Yellow Jersey, the 27.2km TT on stage 5 is the most likely time he will lose it especially if he puts in a good ride on the Mûr-de-Bretagne which certainly suits him, much like today's finish, it's shorter and steeper as well.

Dan Martin has won on it twice and old Man Valverde has won on it a few times as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Agreed, but he could put together a lengthy run in the Yellow Jersey, the 27.2km TT on stage 5 is the most likely time he will lose it especially if he puts in a good ride on the Mûr-de-Bretagne which certainly suits him, much like today's finish, it's shorter and steeper as well.

Dan Martin has won on it twice and old Man Valverde has won on it a few times as well!

Are you getting your hills and 'Murs' mixed up here??? Has Valverde ever won on it? I can't remember

Are you getting your hills and 'Murs' mixed up here??? Has Valverde ever won on it? I can't remember

No, not according to this https://www.procyclingstats.com/location/mur-de-bretagne

• Advertisement

Disaster of a day for ISN. Does anyone know why Woods was so far behind? Froome was banged up to bits and still finished ahead of him.

Boivin, their leadout man for Greipel finished 50s back from JA. I had thought that maybe it was Woods on Boivin's bike after the crashes, but no, Woods finished 8.49 back. Froome was 14.37 back.

Disaster for Movistar as well, with the exception of Mas. Lopez lost 2min, Valverde 5min and Soler was dead last, 24mins back. Hopefully there will be a season 3 of The Least Expected Day!

Advertisement