Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdF 2021 - Stage 1 Brest -Landerneau(197.8km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

retalivity wrote: »
    Boivin, their leadout man for Greipel finished 50s back from JA. I had thought that maybe it was Woods on Boivin's bike after the crashes, but no, Woods finished 8.49 back. Froome was 14.37 back.

Disaster for Movistar as well, with the exception of Mas. Lopez lost 2min, Valverde 5min and Soler was dead last, 24mins back. Hopefully there will be a season 3 of The Least Expected Day!

Apologies I thought Froome only finished 5 mins back. 14 mins Jesus - hard to see him continuing.

What happened to Soler? This may be completely uncalled for but I have it in my head that he’s fairly bad temperament and throws in the towel easily. I hope he’s not seriously hurt btw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Apologies I thought Froome only finished 5 mins back. 14 mins Jesus - hard to see him continuing.

What happened to Soler? This may be completely uncalled for but I have it in my head that he’s fairly bad temperament and throws in the towel easily. I hope he’s not seriously hurt btw

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/tour-de-france-whos-out-after-stage-one-of-the-108th-race

According to this, he's abandoned due to injuries. Says he was brought down in the first crash.
    Kruijswijk posted a photo of what I think is his bike on strava -

Fzra1sicDgmwLF8quHUoyleypv-Pgv7DQ8QHST1mZSM-1534x2048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/tour-de-france-whos-out-after-stage-one-of-the-108th-race

According to this, he's abandoned due to injuries. Says he was brought down in the first crash.

We sadly confirm Marc Soler has fractured both arms' radial heads and his left ulnar head after today's
    @letour
    . Get well soon, mate!

That's tough. Didn't look too healthy after the crash. Think he was one of the last to rejoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Ah that’s ****e. My apologies I take back what I said. Wishing him a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ah that’s ****e. My apologies I take back what I said. Wishing him a speedy recovery

Ya Soler is hard as nails in fairness, after he went down at the Giro he kept riding for a while at the back after his crash on that occasion before climbing off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Inquitus wrote: »
    Agreed, but he could put together a lengthy run in the Yellow Jersey, the 27.2km TT on stage 5 is the most likely time he will lose it especially if he puts in a good ride on the Mûr-de-Bretagne which certainly suits him, much like today's finish, it's shorter and steeper as well.

Dan Martin has won on it twice and old Man Valverde has won on it a few times as well!

Didn't JAP win a TT in 2019 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Inquitus wrote: »
    Agreed, but he could put together a lengthy run in the Yellow Jersey, the 27.2km TT on stage 5 is the most likely time he will lose it especially if he puts in a good ride on the Mûr-de-Bretagne which certainly suits him, much like today's finish, it's shorter and steeper as well.

Dan Martin has won on it twice and old Man Valverde has won on it a few times as well!

Opi Valverde :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Hopefully, a gendarme gave them a kick up the arse which leaves them walking like their grandparents for few days.

Might be a bit more serious for that person. Tour have lodged a complaint with French Police. Seen one or two tweets earlier suggesting the person in question could face some fairly serious charges

Of topic, but the lads in work don't get it.

There's a fella comes in to our shop, and every time I see him I laugh.

Has a gold baseball cap, and all I can see is van. Avermaet. Every time! Also has a tracksuit with gold stripes down the sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

deise08 wrote: »
    We sadly confirm Marc Soler has fractured both arms' radial heads and his left ulnar head after today's
    @letour
    . Get well soon, mate!

That's tough. Didn't look too healthy after the crash. Think he was one of the last to rejoin.

He fractured both his arms AND still managed to finish. Holy f**k :eek:

• Advertisement

Some what Tour related TG4 are showing The Program after the highlights tonight. Can't recall if I've seen it or not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Some what Tour related TG4 are showing The Program after the highlights tonight. Can't recall if I've seen it or not now.

It's the movie, with Chris O'Dowd in it. He plays David Walsh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Might be a bit more serious for that person. Tour have lodged a complaint with French Police. Seen one or two tweets earlier suggesting the person in question could face some fairly serious charges

Good. Should be charged. Horrendous behaviour. Could have caused really serious injuries, already cost a rider their tour, and injured many.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yeah, the police have put on their FB that they are looking for information for the person and that she left the scene before being interviewed.

Everyone ****s up in life, but there needs to a serious sanction to bollocking up at such a perilous time. We seen with the second crash that there were 2 children nearly caught up in the crash. Bike crashes are dangerous, not just for riders but for spectators too.

The French need to send the message out that if you **** up at the Tour de France, we will **** you up as a person. Keeps everyone on their best behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I don't always watch the racing but when I do I follow the thread. Was watching today and crazy really what that person did for message to her grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

When Cervelo first introduced the R series, they said the chainstays were so rigid that the seat stays were unnecessary and removed them from a demo bike to prove the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How much force is required to do that kinda damage...saw a bike break with a crash in Milan San remo this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Only saw the finish earlier (and the crash). Catching up now. Really enjoyed Ide Schelling sprinting for the intermediate points and celebrating the point that gave him the polka dot. Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Burkie1203 wrote: »

CPA exploring legal action too
    https://twitter.com/cpacycling/status/1409073893038510081?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How much force is required to do that kinda damage...saw a bike break with a crash in Milan San remo this year...

Not much, a body landing down on a seatstay can fairly easily cause that sort of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

It was an awful crash but the wheres wally head on her she slinked out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yeah, the police have put on their FB that they are looking for information for the person and that she left the scene before being interviewed...
    There was a piece on the Claire Byrne Show about it just now. It's hard to believe that she hasn't been identified yet. They also said that she was a grandmother and that she may have suffered serious injuries herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There was a piece on the Claire Byrne Show about it just now. It's hard to believe that she hasn't been identified yet. They also said that she was a grandmother and that she may have suffered serious injuries herself.

the "fan" was a grandmother? doesnt make sense, she had a sign that she was trying to get the attention of her grandparents.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the "fan" was a grandmother? doesnt make sense, she had a sign that she was trying to get the attention of her grandparents.

Or maybe sh was saying hi from nanny and grandad?

deise08 wrote: »
    Or maybe sh was saying hi from nanny and grandad?

maybe, has Opi abandoned her? :pac: , looking at the pic its hard to tell an age, but yeah not dressed like a teenager or someone in their early 20's

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Looking at it again, there's a grey haired fella standing behind her back filming the race in a KOM t-shirt. They seem to be standing together separately from everyone.
    Helicopter view shows it best.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police-find-and-arrest-spectator-who-caused-mass-tour-de-france-crash/

Thankfully the Gendarmerie got the muppet and she's currently in police custody.

result.

glasso wrote: »
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police-find-and-arrest-spectator-who-caused-mass-tour-de-france-crash/

Thankfully the Gendarmerie got the muppet and she's currently in police custody.

result.

fully all the "she flew out of the country" nonsense

silverharp wrote: »
    fully all the "she flew out of the country" nonsense

that was actually down to gobshytes who don't know a word of French / pass junior cert level using google translate and writing an "article"

https://road.cc/content/news/breaking-spectator-who-caused-tdf-crash-reportedly-arrested-284517
    A number of media outlets yesterday reported that the spectator had left France by plane – although as this article(link is external) from Insider.com explains, that appears to be due to misinterpretation of running an article from Ouest-France through Google Translate.

The translation tool renders a phrase in a report from the newspaper at the weekend, which said that the woman “a pris la poudre d'escampette” – a colloquialism roughly meaning to scarper, or flee the scene – as “took flight,” hence the confusion.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    that was actually down to gobshytes who don't know a word of French / pass junior cert level using google translate and writing an "article"

https://road.cc/content/news/breaking-spectator-who-caused-tdf-crash-reportedly-arrested-284517

Journalism :pac:

Advertisement