Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do with a blowtorch?

Options
  • 26-06-2021 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I bought a blowtorch for caramelizing creme brulee.

Ok now my creme brulee is caramelized. Now what?

Any interesting things I can do with this? I've seen people use it with meringues but I'm not into meringues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Finishing off steak, burgers, pork chops, bacon & pizza. I do mine in the airfryer, you would slightly undercook the pizza and just torch it. I do steak for an hour or more at 80C, somes out still pink.

I also toast burger buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

Meringues - Baked Alaska.

ETA: aargh just saw the last line of the OP; sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah finishes steaks and giving them a nice exterior crust with a blow torch is a good use. They are also good for rendering the fat in a rib eye steak after its out of the pan. You can get the fat really crispy while the inside of the steak is still pink.

In BBQ brisket is often served with burnt ends, a blow torch could also replicate that. Same with pulled pork, its nice to have some pieces that are slightly burnt and have a bit of crunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've used mine on the Christmas ham if the glaze is unevenly caramelised when I take it out of the oven. You can also use it on pork crackling if it's not crisp enough. Or the fat on your pork chop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Charring the sh*t out of chilli peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Tree wrote: »
    Charring the sh*t out of chilli peppers.

And charring bell peppers. They always say to put them on a gas hob, but that takes forever. Stick a carving fork in the stalk end and put it on a gas burner. Blister the other side with your blowtorch. Rotate. Put the blackened pepper in a plastic bag. Wait. Rub the black stuff off under the tap.

Try not to heat your fork to red.

Advertisement