Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending camera setup

Options
  • 26-06-2021 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've got a wired connection from house to shed which is currently fed directly into a Hikvision 4MP DS-2DE4425IWDE PTZ camera used inside the shed for monitoring livestock.

My plan is now to add some security cameras into the system to monitor the yards. In my mind the layout would be 4 - 6 cameras feeding back into a network switch in the shed. Each camera capable of night vision and with integrated microphone. Cameras to be POE powered.
    Network switch is connected back into the house via the Cat5e cable which connects into the back of an NVR located in the attic.

Preference is for a Hikvision setup (possibly HiLook too) as I want to have all cameras on one app.
    Additional constraint is that I want the cameras to be a dark colour so they do not stand out when mounted on dark colour sheds.

I have a preference for either a turret or dome camera as I don't like the obtrusive nature of the bullets.
    The yards to be monitored are mostly 30ft x 30ft (9m x 9m), although one would be closer to 50ft x 50ft.

What should I be looking for spec wise in these cameras? Each of the yards has a PIR floodlight, but I would rather have cameras that are not reliant on the lights being functional.

I presume the alarms can be deactivated for a time period easily enough on the app without having to remember to re-activate them.

Any help narrowing down the spec would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hello,

I've got a wired connection from house to shed which is currently fed directly into a Hikvision 4MP DS-2DE4425IWDE PTZ camera used inside the shed for monitoring livestock.

My plan is now to add some security cameras into the system to monitor the yards. In my mind the layout would be 4 - 6 cameras feeding back into a network switch in the shed. Each camera capable of night vision and with integrated microphone. Cameras to be POE powered.
    Network switch is connected back into the house via the Cat5e cable which connects into the back of an NVR located in the attic.

Preference is for a Hikvision setup (possibly HiLook too) as I want to have all cameras on one app.
    Additional constraint is that I want the cameras to be a dark colour so they do not stand out when mounted on dark colour sheds.

I have a preference for either a turret or dome camera as I don't like the obtrusive nature of the bullets.
    The yards to be monitored are mostly 30ft x 30ft (9m x 9m), although one would be closer to 50ft x 50ft.

What should I be looking for spec wise in these cameras? Each of the yards has a PIR floodlight, but I would rather have cameras that are not reliant on the lights being functional.

I presume the alarms can be deactivated for a time period easily enough on the app without having to remember to re-activate them.

Any help narrowing down the spec would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The colourvue cameras will give you colour at night.
    As said in the other thread the HILOOK is a lower spec DVR.
    For the extra cost id go for the proper HIK machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - I've been looking and had narrowed the camera selection down to:

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-ds-2cd2346g2-iu-4mp-turret-network-camera-new-acusense-technology-with-mics-en/

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-colorvu-and-acusense-ds-2cd2347g2-lu-ip-turret-with-fixed-ultra-wide-lens-inbuilt-mic/

Decent choices?

Some questions:
    Is ColorVu recommended now for security or is Acusense/darkfighter as good? I get the impression that ColorVu is the gold std now.
    How long does it take typically for a camera to refocus if the PIR light illuminates?

I presume a 4 channel NVR can only work with 4 cameras, correct? Does that number include those which you only wish to view live - e.g. the livestock camera? My understanding is that even though I use a network switch in shed which will feed back into a single input in NVR the limiting factor is the number of cameras - not the number of inputs plugged into, correct?

Thanks - I've been looking and had narrowed the camera selection down to:

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-ds-2cd2346g2-iu-4mp-turret-network-camera-new-acusense-technology-with-mics-en/

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-colorvu-and-acusense-ds-2cd2347g2-lu-ip-turret-with-fixed-ultra-wide-lens-inbuilt-mic/

Decent choices?

Some questions:
    Is ColorVu recommended now for security or is Acusense/darkfighter as good? I get the impression that ColorVu is the gold std now.
    How long does it take typically for a camera to refocus if the PIR light illuminates?

I presume a 4 channel NVR can only work with 4 cameras, correct? Does that number include those which you only wish to view live - e.g. the livestock camera? My understanding is that even though I use a network switch in shed which will feed back into a single input in NVR the limiting factor is the number of cameras - not the number of inputs plugged into, correct?

Depending on the amount of IP cameras used, would determine the size of the NVR.
    Colourvue is colour at night, the others are low light cameras which go black and white.

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-colorvu-ds-2cd2347g2-lu-ip-turret-with-fixed-ultra-wide-lens-inbuilt-mic/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - I appreciate the replies. Why do you opt for the 4mm colorvu over the 2.8mm version that I posted?

Thanks - I appreciate the replies. Why do you opt for the 4mm colorvu over the 2.8mm version that I posted?

It was just the camera I clicked on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement