Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sold, sitting on deposit. Scared of inflation

Options
  • 26-06-2021 3:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

Hi, in need of advice.

We sold our family home due to separation recently, i have moved home and am currently sitting on my share (190,000). I would like to buy sooner rather than later but can't find property for my needs concurrently. I need a 4 bed in Dublin as i have 4 kids, the max i could spend is around 370,000 but i cannot find any property on the market right now.

The idea of staying put for a year or two to save more and see if suitable property emerges is appealing to me but i am not getting any younger (39) and keep hearing news of inflation on the radio and i am cautious of putting the deposit into other investment vehicles as they look like bubble territory right now.

I am getting anxiety of inflation eating my only source of wealth but i have lost every bidding war i entered (15 in total) and have a limited budget at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why do you need a 4 bed for 4 kids, would a 3 bed not do? Your budget should stretch to a 3 bed, doubtful for a 4 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Prize bonds are your only option with a timeframe of 1-2 years, but you'll need some luck to beat inflation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 cluelessbuyer9

Prize bonds are your only option with a timeframe of 1-2 years, but you'll need some luck to beat inflation.

I had not thought of that, will check them out. I don't necessarily plan on beating inflation but want my 190,000e to still hold value and be considered a somewhat respectful deposit that would leave a low enough mortgage when i decide the purchase.

Fwiw - i will be staying in my fathers where there is space and the length of stay is not an issue so i'm told. I would ideally want to move out sooner rather than later but could stretch it out for two or three years if needed. Do people expect prices to cool down or will they keep going sky high? As lifetime FF voters my extended family appear to be moving to SF in the next election, if SF win we think more houses may be built but this will take some time to come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fwiw - i will be staying in my fathers where there is space and the length of stay is not an issue so i'm told. I would ideally want to move out sooner rather than later but could stretch it out for two or three years if needed. Do people expect prices to cool down or will they keep going sky high? As lifetime FF voters my extended family appear to be moving to SF in the next election, if SF win we think more houses may be built but this will take some time to come to fruition.

Wouldn't be depending on that as this government has 4 more years if they go full term and even if SF came in tomorrow they don't have a magic switch to ramp up supply overnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Allinall

In my opinion, you should buy what you can afford, as soon as possible.
    It is virtually impossible to time the market.

For example, if someone convinced you now, that prices would drop by 33% in two years, you would think “Happy days. I’ll wait.”

Two years on, and the prices have indeed dropped by 33%.
    You are now thinking “Will I hold out a bit longer, as prices have been dropping consistently for the last two years?”
    Six months on, and prices have risen again.

Point is, at any given time, prices may drop ( or if you are selling- rise).

Buy now, and relax in the knowledge that whatever the market does, it effects you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Anything could happen with prices BUT there is a very short supply so I'd expect modest rises at least.
    Tis sh##y you lost out on 15 houses.
    If you really want yer own gaff I'd look for 3,2, bed houses that maybe you could use the living room split it for two bedrooms etc. Or divide up the kids into two bedrooms etc...you know ways around the dilemma.
    Plenty of Fine normal people grew up in shared bedrooms . We had six of us kids in the one room. Then we were split up to two kids to a room till college age.
    I know several families in times gone by where there were 6 to a Small room until 18ish. ...something like a hostel dorm.

lalababa wrote: »
    Anything could happen with prices BUT there is a very short supply so I'd expect modest rises at least.
    Tis sh##y you lost out on 15 houses.
    If you really want yer own gaff I'd look for 3,2, bed houses that maybe you could use the living room split it for two bedrooms etc. Or divide up the kids into two bedrooms etc...you know ways around the dilemma.
    Plenty of Fine normal people grew up in shared bedrooms . We had six of us kids in the one room. Then we were split up to two kids to a room till college age.
    I know several families in times gone by where there were 6 to a Small room until 18ish. ...something like a hostel dorm.

This is a new perspective that is worth considering, thank you.

I had bid on a 3 bed with the view to convert the attic but it went for 85,000 over asking. 360,000 asking to 445,0000

Allinall wrote: »
    In my opinion, you should buy what you can afford, as soon as possible.
    It is virtually impossible to time the market.

For example, if someone convinced you now, that prices would drop by 33% in two years, you would think “Happy days. I’ll wait.”

Two years on, and the prices have indeed dropped by 33%.
    You are now thinking “Will I hold out a bit longer, as prices have been dropping consistently for the last two years?”
    Six months on, and prices have risen again.

Point is, at any given time, prices may drop ( or if you are selling- rise).

Buy now, and relax in the knowledge that whatever the market does, it effects you not.

I see your point, but i am not trying to time it per se as it's not an investment property, more so to see if more property come onboard and prices level off or just drop slightly.

I'm constrained with what i can borrow but honestly wouldn't be comfortable borrowing more for the available stock. Some stock i looked at sold for forty or fifty thousand euros cheaper in 2019, when, in reality nothing has changed for the better. The economy is in the toilet and unemployed high so i don't want to borrow more if this is just artificial panic causing prices to go up.

This is a new perspective that is worth considering, thank you.

I had bid on a 3 bed with the view to convert the attic but it went for 85,000 over asking. 360,000 asking to 445,0000

Why do you need 4 bedrooms? As has been pointed out, kids sharing rooms is very normal. I'm taking it you won't have full tool time custody?

Friend just bought a 2 bed in North county Dublin for 330k, that's the market you're looking in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You suggest a 4 bed in Dublin for 4 kids.

So there's 3 rooms for kids. Your saying it's OK for 2 of the kids to share but there's no possibility for others to share.

You might need to suck it up and say sorry kids you get 2 bedrooms between you when you visit here.

Caranica wrote: »
    Why do you need 4 bedrooms? As has been pointed out, kids sharing rooms is very normal. I'm taking it you won't have full tool time custody?

Friend just bought a 2 bed in North county Dublin for 330k, that's the market you're looking in

2 bed for 330,000 is not worth it imo. I need an office for my business also.

Some stock i looked at sold for forty or fifty thousand euros cheaper in 2019, when, in reality nothing has changed for the better. The economy is in the toilet and unemployed high so i don't want to borrow more if this is just artificial panic causing prices to go up.

It's not artificial panic.

Two of the primary things the average 30-something office worker has been doing during lockdown:
    a) saving money - either on purpose or for lack of reasons to spend it; and
    b) staring at the four walls around them.

In this demographic alone, the number of people looking to buy, especially in Dublin, has soared.

Add to that the number of people who had weddings planned over the last 18 months who have had to cancel all their bookings and have been stuck at home together considering plans for their future - that cash is now looking like a good deposit on a house.

That's just a small snippet of the factors at play in terms of demand. I'm 100% against trying to anticipate the market, so I wont pretend to know that supply won't catch up, but it's certainly nothing to do with artificial panic.

2 bed for 330,000 is not worth it imo. I need an office for my business also.

In their case it was worth it for location.

Garden shed? Fold away desk? Corner of your bedroom?

If you don't have the kids full time there are lots of ingenious office solutions that will mean you don't need one dedicated room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Caranica wrote: »
    Why do you need a 4 bed for 4 kids, would a 3 bed not do? ....

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/bunk-beds-19048/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

In 30 years of buying and selling and moving and keeping an eye on the market, the sensationalist media and estate agents have NEVER got it right when it comes to pricing.

And I think they are very wrong now.

There's a short term shortage. There are 20,000+ new builds coming on stream between now and early next year.

You also have similar number that will come from people passing away ( media always forget this supply source)

Central Bank won't make many changes to rules and with many tech companies allowing work from home for at least two days a week, the pressure on Dublin prices will ease very soon.

Buying now would mean paying over the odds imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Obvious troll is obvious, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mimon wrote: »

If you’ve nothing constructive to add, why bother posting ****e?

DOH, yep. And feck I fell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Darc19 wrote: »
    .... and with many tech companies allowing work from home for at least two days a week, the pressure on Dublin prices will ease very soon.

Buying now would mean paying over the odds imo.

Not for 4 beds though: with WFH, the number of bedrooms that are being converted into offices is staggering.

Working at the kitchen table was OK for the height of the health-emergency but won't be acceptable to companies long term. Neither will uninsulated garden sheds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Did you look at new houses. As a women with 4 children you would be high up the list for affordable housing I imagine. Contact the different housing associations.

I think as a separated person you can be considered as a FTB. This give you access to the HTB funding. This gives you 10% of house value in tax back over last 4years this year while you may not reach the maximum of the funding next year when it's reduced to 5% you might.

You could also look at government co-founding scheme ( shared equity)where they will lend you up to 30% of the purchase price. There is no interest for 5 years and after that interest is added at 2.5%.

On a 500k new house if you bought it next year.

5% tax back 25k HTB
    Deposit 200k (I presuming you save the extra 10k)
    Mortgage 180 k
    Co-funding up to 150 k but in your case you would only need to access about 100 k of it

I think this is the only way that you can access housing

Edit
    Just looking at the HTB you may not be able to access that as you cannot access a mortgage large enough. It would add 25k to the shared equity

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I had not thought of that, will check them out. I don't necessarily plan on beating inflation but want my 190,000e to still hold value and be considered a somewhat respectful deposit that would leave a low enough mortgage when i decide the purchase.

There is another thread on prize bonds that I'm following and it looks that recently prizes have whittled down to pretty much zero. They must be linked to interest rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Allinall wrote: »
    If you’ve nothing constructive to add, why bother posting ****e?

Come on, was obviously trolling, just pointing it out.

Apologise if you want ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The only hope of property falling is a recession. As govts have propped up their economies this is unlikely in the short term now. The other thing is falling demand either through falling immigration and emigration. Neither of those seems likely either. The final thing would be over supply. That isn't going to happen for years. We've never hit a building target ever.

Come on, was obviously trolling, just pointing it out.

Apologise if you want ;)

Especially with the "forced to sell family home" in another thread.

There's never a forceful sale that leaves €190k share.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Forced through separation not financial.

If you separated with older kids you might have a mortgage mostly paid off, and perhaps other asset's. Leaving you a chunk of cash but not asset's and not enough to buy somewhere. Especially if you are tied to expensive area due to kids and work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP can only access 180 k through mortgage. She requires a 3 bed or maybe 4 bed house with four children. In her forties I stead of being financially secure she with a mortgage virtually paid off she has to start again. She will be at retirement age before this house is paid off. Time is against her every year she waits is a year off the length of time she can take out a mortgage for.
    She has access to her previous house equity 190 k and 180k if potential mortgage. It would have made more financially sense to have tried to hd on to her old home but she was obviously unable to access the finance to buy out her husband.

In solicitor feed for that sale and this purchase as well as auctioneer fees there is about 12-15k in money gone. As well with house prices rising and being now a single person trying to buy she will struggle to access a house

Slava Ukrainii

OP can only access 180 k through mortgage. She requires a 3 bed or maybe 4 bed house with four children. In her forties I stead of being financially secure she with a mortgage virtually paid off she has to start again. She will be at retirement age before this house is paid off. Time is against her every year she waits is a year off the length of time she can take out a mortgage for.
    She has access to her previous house equity 190 k and 180k if potential mortgage. It would have made more financially sense to have tried to hd on to her old home but she was obviously unable to access the finance to buy out her husband.

In solicitor feed for that sale and this purchase as well as auctioneer fees there is about 12-15k in money gone. As well with house prices rising and being now a single person trying to buy she will struggle to access a house

And it's your answer that convinces me it's a troll.

Btw, nothing says it's a he or a she.

If the person the op has created is a woman with four children, and mortgage was near paid off, a court would never ever ever agree to a sale of the property

It's a total bullsh1t op especially when you look at the posts in other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

They may be a troll

But the answer is the same
    You can't beat inflation without taking risk (just stick it in the bank or prize bonds)
    And nobody knows the outlook for house prices over the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilbot79 wrote: »
    There is another thread on prize bonds that I'm following and it looks that recently prizes have whittled down to pretty much zero. They must be linked to interest rates

It was reduced to 0.35% on average at the start of the year. It was 0.5% before that.

I think it was higher again before that.

Advertisement