Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sold, sitting on deposit. Scared of inflation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Fwiw - i will be staying in my fathers where there is space and the length of stay is not an issue so i'm told. I would ideally want to move out sooner rather than later but could stretch it out for two or three years if needed. Do people expect prices to cool down or will they keep going sky high? As lifetime FF voters my extended family appear to be moving to SF in the next election, if SF win we think more houses may be built but this will take some time to come to fruition.

Good idea, vote SF, then all new builds will be bought/leased by the council for SF voter Council House tenants. The Private Buyer will have to compete with Lease investment companies supplying the council, and if you do manage to buy in a new private estate, all the houses around you will be rental social houses. So you've slaughtered yourself to buy a €380-400K house, just to live in a council rental estate. And before anyone gets outraged, I've got these comments from persons raised in a council estate, who moved on to be a private first time buyers only to find ALL the next phase new builds behind, in front and beside them are to be leased by the council. This is SF land. This is what awaits you

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

deezell wrote: »
    Good idea, vote SF, then all new builds will be bought/leased by the council for SF voter Council House tenants. The Private Buyer will have to compete with Lease investment companies supplying the council, and if you do manage to buy in a new private estate, all the houses around you will be rental social houses. So you've slaughtered yourself to buy a €380-400K house, just to live in a council rental estate. And before anyone gets outraged, I've got these comments from persons raised in a council estate, who moved on to be a private first time buyers only to find ALL the next phase new builds behind, in front and beside them are to be leased by the council. This is SF land. This is what awaits you
    That's pretty much the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

No matter what the government do, houses prices will go up due to shortage of supply and theres general inflation,

say you have 100k in the bank, in a years time it might be only worth 90k in terms of what you can spend it on.gen z may be shocked as they have grown up with very low rates of inflation.Inflation seems to be coming back due to supply chain disruption caused by the pandemic.

maybe look at 3 beds with a large garden where you could build a small extension , or look at houses with a front room and a lounge which could be converted into an extra bedroom.

My friend bought a 3bed house with a side garage, it only cost a few grand to turn it into a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP is banned now so they won't be coming back here

Advertisement