Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My meter reading door was vandalised. Should I be cautious of anything ?

Options
  • 26-06-2021 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,

My family and I were away for 2 weeks and when we came back, we noticed that the ESB meter reading box in our garden had seemingly been broken. Due to the nature of damage of the door, I doubt that the wind would have done that and I am suspecting this may be some kind of vandalism.

I had a look inside and I didn't see anything strange. My concern is that I have absolutely 0 knowledge in electricity, would I see it from the meter if someone had tried to steal or even tamper electricity ?

Kind Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You need to get a qualified electrician to have a look and advise. Depending on the damage the ESB may need to be engaged.

I'd say it's highly likely, depending on your location, that you just got unlucky and some little cun.. i mean kids, just gave it a kick or such and ran off, thinking it was hilarious.

I see a fair few of these doors broken around the place, almost always when a place is empty. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the meter being tampered with. Keep a look at your 'speedometer' on it, and turn off the electric in the house, then turn it on and put the kettle on etc. I'm not sure what anyone could really do to it, but if everything looks like it's working as normal... I'd be inclined to leave it be (but that's just me, personally).

I've never had to deal with anything in relation to the meter box, but I always would have assumed the ESB or some meter reading company would pop out and look at them free of charge if requested (considering how rare it must surely happen?)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

Thanks guys - that helps.

I don't think someone could steal electricity as I only have neighbours on one side, and I know them very well.

Still, I will have an electrician come to check just in case and also tell me how I can replace the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I see a fair few of these doors broken around the place, almost always when a place is empty.

They are a known spot for key stashing, the fact that they get broken and not carefully opened and closed always suggests inexperienced kids not knowing what tool to use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If any of the seals are broken you'll need the ESB. Getting an electrician out to check is the right approach.

• Advertisement

Seanergy wrote: »
    They are a known spot for key stashing, the fact that they get broken and not carefully opened and closed always suggests inexperienced kids not knowing what tool to use.

???

Why would anyone 'stash' their/any key/s in someone else's meter box?

???

Why would anyone 'stash' their/any key/s in someone else's meter box?

I think he means on empty houses.

I'm not sure if it's what he's referring to exactly, but i work (loosely) with property and I'd often leave, or ask others to leave, keys in the meter box, for access to a property without having to meet a person there.

(ie; i live in dublin but need access to a house in galway at 7am on tuesday. instead of someone meeting me there at 7am on tuesday, they can drop the keys in anytime monday that suits them, have a lie on on tuesday morning or do something more productive and collect the keys when im done).

Unsure if that's what the other poster is referring to, though. Never managed to break a door myself, thankfully.

I think he means on empty houses.

I'm not sure if it's what he's referring to exactly, but i work (loosely) with property and I'd often leave, or ask others to leave, keys in the meter box, for access to a property without having to meet a person there.

(ie; i live in dublin but need access to a house in galway at 7am on tuesday. instead of someone meeting me there at 7am on tuesday, they can drop the keys in anytime monday that suits them, have a lie on on tuesday morning or do something more productive and collect the keys when im done).

Unsure if that's what the other poster is referring to, though. Never managed to break a door myself, thankfully.

That could be it alright..:)

When the poster mentioned "stashing" , I assumed it was to do with something crooked/underhanded.... Also; it read as though that with 'kids' being mentioned, it didn't sound as if they were stashing them at their own house..

:pac: Me myself; I wouldn't be surprised if it was the ESB that were breaking them on purpose, for the purpose of putting in them new meters..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Thanks guys - that helps.

I don't think someone could steal electricity as I only have neighbours on one side, and I know them very well.

Still, I will have an electrician come to check just in case and also tell me how I can replace the door.

You can replace them yourself easy ,every hardware store have them on stock
    Take the old door with you because there are 3 types of them
    Mine broke last winter after the meter reader didn't close it properly (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Buffman

Mine broke last winter after the meter reader didn't close it properly (i think)

I was just about to post the same, it was probably the meter reader. Twice mine wasn't closed properly and got ripped of the wall by the wind and broken to bits.

Unfortunately I had no proof who did it, but I did catch the meter reader trying to open it with his car key one day. I had to open it for him with my key.

It's now locked so they have to knock in for access.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

An epidemic of these meter boxes door breaking off due to the wind (definitely) in our estate led to the ESB screwing the door shut permanently and cutting in a glass window to allow the meter to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Buffman

cml387 wrote: »
    An epidemic of these meter boxes door breaking off due to the wind (definitely) in our estate led to the ESB screwing the door shut permanently and cutting in a glass window to allow the meter to be read.

It does seem that meter reading 'training' consists of giving them a high-viz and hand-held device and letting them off to wreak havoc on the countries meter boxes!:pac:

In hindsight I should have complained to ESB networks.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

Buffman wrote: »
    It does seem that meter reading 'training' consists of giving them a high-viz and hand-held device and letting them off to wreak havoc on the countries meter boxes!:pac:

In hindsight I should have complained to ESB networks.

The funny thing is that networks went off and did this work without charging us afaik.

Advertisement