Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of termination

Options
  • 26-06-2021 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Please give me some honest advice and no smart comments please. I am a first year student nurse and I got a new job in my locality. During my interview with the manager he told me that he didn't mind giving days off as long as there is plenty of notice and he also asked me would i work weekends which I said I would. Last week and work i politely asked my manager could i take a week off at the end of august as i was planing on going on holiday with my family to see a family member in england (manager is aware that we had already booked the flights/ we are all fully vaccinated) to which he bluntly and rudely said no and he also added he wouldn't have given me the job if he knew i was going to be taken a week off) i have spoke to other colleagues after our conversation and they told me that booking days off can be a nightmare with the manager. I am thinking of handing in my notice for the last week of august so i can go on this holiday, my parents have also said they would rather me focus on my college work instead of trying to balance a part time job and college. the question i have is how do i give my notice to my manager without him going crazy? the excuse i want to say for giving in my notice is that i'm going back to college early :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

When you say ‘go crazy’ what do you think he will do? He might be annoyed but surely he won’t do anything about it. He’ll just be grumpy to work with but sounds like he is anyway. Just tough it out and if it’s unbearable just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You owe the manager nothing.

Give two weeks notice to finish up before the holiday. In your letter thank them for giving you the opportunity to work in such a lovely place and tell them you've learned so much. ( No point burning bridges)

Go on your holiday and don't look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The excuse i want to say for giving in my notice is that i'm going back to college early :/

You don't need to use any excuses. Write a letter giving your notice of 1 week, 1 month whatever. As per my contract my last working day will be.....

And leave it at that. They don't need to know why you are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

You don't need to give him a reason. You can hand in your notice at any stage.

As he lied to you in the interview, if it was me i would give him the minimum notice period possible (check your contract) and let him know exactly why. Egotistical managers on a power trip who think they can dictate people's lives are a pet hate of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

thanks for all the advice so far everyone. also how much notice do ye think i should give as i have been given no contract from my employer, i was looking on citizens info and they said minimum notice u have to give is 1 week. also do ye think i should give in my notice over email or do it in person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

In person and in writing and just give a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You don't need to worry about him going crazy.
    If he does, just stay calm and say I'm not staying to be berated

You are new to the job, the usual requirement is 1 weeks notice but your contract of employment may specify more but again given you are within the 1st year of employment, a week is sufficient.

You do not need to give any reason for leaving, none.
    Even if they ask, you just say personal reasons.
    Don't worry about needing to make an excuse or explain your resignation.

It's a simple 2 lined letter.
    Dear manager.

I wish to confirm this letter is 7 days notice of my resignation effective from xx/xx.

Yours sincerely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I'd say you just need to get a thick skin in regard to his reaction to you handing in your notice. It's your life to enter and leave employment as you wish and assuming you're giving your contracted notice period the rest is his problem.

The only advice I would give is that even if he does get thick about it you should compose and conduct yourself professionally. Don't get roped into a row about it.

Edit: If you've been given no contract your notice period is one week. That's their fault if it is usually more.

Thanks for everyones help, I was very anxious about it but the comments are helping me to stay calm. The business is currently very short staffed so Im just thinking the manager will have a lot to say when I hand in my notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

What type business is it and how long have you been working there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭Augme

If you've no contract I would give in my notice on the last pay day and give immediate notice and not work any extra day. There's no way I'd trust this kind of manager to pay me wages owed once I have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Make sure you figure your holiday pay into your notice. For example, if you are owed a weeks holiday and are giving a weeks notice, tell the boss you are using your accrued holiday for that week. Then moonwalk out the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Moved to Work Problems. Local Charter now applies.

Thanks

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Get a sick note from a doctor saying you can't work that week, but if you really want to quit just hand in your notice with the minimum time required

You don't need to give him a reason. You can hand in your notice at any stage.

As he lied to you in the interview, if it was me i would give him the minimum notice period possible (check your contract) and let him know exactly why. Egotistical managers on a power trip who think they can dictate people's lives are a pet hate of mine.

This. I'd just go some Friday and let them see how long it takes to figure out I wasn't coming back. If you're lied to in an interview like that then it's exactly what they deserve. I wouldn't even consider giving him notice.

What type business is it and how long have you been working there ?

It's a cafe/shop and i've been working there since the 16th of june

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

No contract.. if paid weekly, one week

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So you are only there 10 days, is that right?

Was this trip away already planned, booked and paid for before you took the job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He can say whatever he wants. No need for you to worry about it.

It was only organized after I accepted the job. Its just annoying because I gave him 2 months notice about this holiday and he was so rude about it when I asked for the time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Keelsean

'hoping your manager wouldn't go crazy' – sounds like he/she has no place being a manager if that's the reaction.
    I've had similar in the past – keep calm and polite, have your phone on record and if he/she gets personal or abusive then let them know you've recorded the conversation for your own protection as the reaction was expected ... then watch to see the tone of the conversation change. Note - once you are part of the conversation you are within your rights to record it for your reference.
    No person – employee (or manager) should have to deal with this kind of treatment and they'll just keep carrying on until someone corrects their behaviour.
    Enjoy your family holiday :)

I'm a little confused - when did you start working for him?

If it was just this month, you wouldn't have built up a weeks worth of annual leave yet, so I could understand why he said no to a full week off.

If jobs are easy enough to come by, then fair enough, hand in your notice... but like that, I wouldn't burn bridges.

I started working for him on the 16th of June, its just annoying the tone and way he spoke to me he was very condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

If you're only there since 16th June and have no contract, you don't need to give notice. Less than 13 weeks of service with no contract means you're not required to give notice. Over 13 weeks, you need to give a week.

Don't give a reason, just inform him you won't be returning due to personal reasons - technically not a lie because you personally can't stand him

I started working for him on the 16th of June, its just annoying the tone and way he spoke to me he was very condescending.

So I assume you were asking for unpaid leave.

Okay, well, I do think it is a bit cheeky to ask for a full week off so soon after starting a new job, and August is prime holiday time, he probably already has staff with days off booked - but enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

You could just be totally honest with him. Say you want to finish up because you have a holiday booked and his tone with you is making you feel uncomfortable.

You might be lucky and he fires you on the spot negating the one weeks notice😁

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

There are places crying out for people at the moment. He probably needs you more than you need him.

Give him a week's notice. Explain that you won't be able to work that week. Be polite. And thank him at the end. It doesn't cost anything to be polite, even if you don't feel like it.

Remember he can let you go with a week's notice as well. Or just not put you on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭xlogo

Give two weeks notice to finish up before the holiday. In your letter thank them for giving you the opportunity to work in such a lovely place and tell them you've learned so much. ( No point burning bridges)

This is what OP needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you haven't taken holidays up to now make sure you calculate how much holiday pay you have built up and ensure it is paid in full (less any tax deductions).

• Advertisement

If you haven't taken holidays up to now make sure you calculate how much holiday pay you have built up and ensure it is paid in full (less any tax deductions).

She has only been in this part-time job for 11 days! (and that is including today).

Advertisement