Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of termination

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

so you started on 16th june and last week u told him of the holiday ? By last week you mean pre 20th june ? You can't blame him for being a tad pissed off. It makes it seem like you knew about it but didnt mention it until after u started. so his reaction was probably based on that.

My advice would be ....Late August is 2 months away. Prove ur worth over the next 8 weeks and a week before your hol tell him the hol is still booked for next week and sorry but ull have to hand in your notice. Chances are if you ve been a good reliable worker prior to that he ll not want the hassle of looking for a new recruit and will let you have the week off rather than lose u altogether. Turn it around on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

She has only been in this part-time job for 11 days! (and that is including today).

And as it's only part time work any holiday leave due will most likely be calculated at 8% of her hours worked.

so you started on 16th june and last week u told him of the holiday ? By last week you mean pre 20th june ? You can't blame him for being a tad pissed off. It makes it seem like you knew about it but didnt mention it until after u started. so his reaction was probably based on that.

This.

Also July / August is peak holiday time. He may have other employees who have that week booked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Out of curiosity is this in a tourist town/seaside town. I’ve seen people where I live take on summer jobs and then request a weeks holiday smack bang in the middle of the busiest 2/3 weeks.
    People are hired for Summer jobs as the business is busier or it requires staff to cover regular staffs summer holidays. I can understand why he wouldn’t be happy giving you holidays during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I am a first year student nurse and I got a new job in my locality.

Is this a summer job? Or a part-time job?
    Last week and work i politely asked my manager could i take a week off at the end of august .... we had already booked the flights

The nicest manager in the world would be pretty miffed at a request for leave from someone who has already booked flights, to be honest.
    i have spoke to other colleagues after our conversation and they told me that booking days off can be a nightmare with the manager.

Any manager or job with this attitude should be avoided as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Get a sick note from a doctor saying you can't work that week, but if you really want to quit just hand in your notice with the minimum time required

OP don't do this, just give the notice as per your contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

She has only been in this part-time job for 11 days! (and that is including today).

to deny somebody a summer holiday is mean behaviour
    sure you can play it by the book but with 2 months notice for 1 week.
    manager is a c8nt.

OP , give him a weeks notice with no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

paw patrol wrote: »
    manager is a c8nt.

OP , give him a weeks notice with no contract.

Not if he's employed her specifically for Holiday Cover. OP hasn't said if its a summer job or a regular part time job. Fair enough if its regular part time but if its solely for the summer, she is taking the mick a bit asking a few days after starting for a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Definitely hand in your notice and enjoy your holiday.

In future jobs, don't book flights/accommodation for holidays until your annual leave has been approved in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Not if he's employed her specifically for Holiday Cover. OP hasn't said if its a summer job or a regular part time job. Fair enough if its regular part time but if its solely for the summer, she is taking the mick a bit asking a few days after starting for a week off.

the OP mentions balancing the job part time and college
    so I assume it's not a summer gig.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    manager is a c8nt.

OP , give him a weeks notice with no contractur .

The manager is running a business. They are justified in being annoyed when a new hire who is in the job less then a week and (what many are choosing to ignore) has not actually accrued any entitlement to holidays. (Refer to Working Time Act). Nor will they accrue a full weeks worth in two months.

You think the manager is the c word. I think they are running a business which includes rostering staff on and off. Did you consider there may be other staff already booked off for that week? Its peak holiday time.

I think the OP shows immaturity and a poor work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

The manager is running a business. They are justified in being annoyed when a new hire who is in the job less then a week and (what many are choosing to ignore) has not actually accrued any entitlement to holidays. (Refer to Working Time Act). Nor will they accrue a full weeks worth in two months.

You think the manager is the c word. I think they are running a business which includes rostering staff on and off. Did you consider there may be other staff already booked off for that week? Its peak holiday time.

excuse me but how dare u assume i have poor work ethic and that i am immature. I was told during my interview with him that he had not problem giving days off as long as he had notice and i give him notice and he reacts like that?

excuse me but how dare u assume i have poor work ethic and that i am immature. I was told during my interview with him that he had not problem giving days off as long as he had notice and i give him notice and he reacts like that?
    Well, that's how your attitude comes across to me, sorry (not really) if you don't like it. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well, that's how your attitude comes across to me, sorry (not really) if you don't like it. It is what it is.

Well in fairness.
    .you'd be wrong then. But look it's ok to be wrong. Just make sur me you post stuff like that so people can see how you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

They are justified in saying "no" - being annoyed is just poor management.

The employee can terminate their contract with the stipulated time period as per the contract, without needing to feel anything.

Be reassured that once you leave or once the manager says "no" folks will move on and deal with it within days / weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

schmoo2k wrote: »
    They are justified in saying "no" - being annoyed is just poor management.

The employee can terminate their contract with the stipulated time period as per the contract, without needing to feel anything.

Be reassured that once you leave or once the manager says "no" folks will move on and deal with it within days / weeks.

Some people on here like to pretend they are management. I think it makes them feel better about themselves.

OP leave if you want to leave. Give the real reason. Don’t mind if he gets annoyed or not. You’ll learn that when you get a bit older.

listermint wrote: »
    Well in fairness.
    .you'd be wrong then. But look it's ok to be wrong. Just make sur me you post stuff like that so people can see how you are.

That's your opinion.

We'll just have to disagree on whose wrong about what here.

Best case scenario, the OP learns for the next job they have, that you get time off approved BEFORE you go off and book anything.

And the manager will be able hire someone who will actually be glad of the job.

End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

The business is currently very short staffed so Im just thinking the manager will have a lot to say when I hand in my notice.

Not your problem. Maybe better management would ensure better retention, but still nothing to do with you really.

i just feel like im really in the wrong i am considering cancelling the holiday because i am scared what the manager is going to say to me

update: i have emailed my manager with my two weeks notice today. found out a few days ago that 3 other employees are leaving the same week as me. working with the manager tomorrow god only knows what he'll say to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

You’ve also posted this. Which is at odds with the current thread. I posted a reply to you few months ago about anxiety. Are you exaggerating/creating different threads to get approval?

barbiegirl123

Registered Users

Hi everyone. So i'm currently working a part time summer job. I am going into second year of college. I told my manager during our interview i would work weekends when i start college however i got my timetable for college and it is very full on so me and my parents were talking and we agreed they college should be my no.1 priority. I have given my 2 weeks notice to my manager through email and i will be seeing her at work tomorrow. I am so scared how she's going to react. Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds sensible.

Keep your cool no matter what.

if there’s shouting or silly stuff like that just say your not going to accept being spoken to like that and that if it continues you will leave immediately working no notice at all.

keep it professional

good luck.

Advertisement