Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven recommendations

Options
  • 26-06-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

I need to replace my built in oven. The current brand is a Hoover and was in the house when we moved in, I’ve no idea how old it is. In the past I haven’t minded how it works as I’ve done a lot of work around to get good results. Now though it’s time to change! it cooks unevenly more often than not, I can not get it clean despite multiple rounds of oven cleaners and elbow grease, and the temp is unreliable because the seal is constantly loose and it has a tendency to set off the smoke alarm when I roast a chicken. It also doesn’t get nearly as hot as it should, max temp is only about 220 I’d say. I do a lot of baking and want something reliable!

I was looking at https://www.did.ie/neff-built-in-electric-double-oven-u1ace2hn0b-u1ace2hn0b-prdNeff N50 Built-In Electric Double Oven - Black | U1ACE2HN0B but there’s a lot of 1 star reviews online that there’s ongoing problems with the fan? Does anyone else have this?

Main requirements are:
    Has to be double oven with grill facility on top.
    Max temperature 250+
    Under €1000 delivered and installed
    Easy or self cleaning
    Prefer black in colour but I’d compromise on this for the right oven!

If anyone has a recommendations I’d love to hear them! Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I found that a lot of these double ovens have absolutely tiny cavities in the top oven - wouldn't fit a chicken or normal sized casserole.
    I'd advise to be aware of this. I use the top oven way more than the main oven. I don't think this would be the cases with a nef

For this reason I dismissed nef, bosch, seimens and ended up with an Electrolux. Approx 10 year's later, I'm very happy.

Just checked top oven capacities there. Your nef has a capacity of 34 litres compared to 42 for Electrolux.

I was also seeking simplicity of controls and functions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Might not be worth the effort, but it could be worth taking out a month subscription to Which? to see what their reviews are like? We did it to plan a lot of the kitchen appliances going in to our new kitchen, whenever it’s built.

I’d recommend our oven shortlist but they’re all single ovens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on subscribing to Which for a month when buying kitchen appliances, it is only £1 and has great information comparing all the different option on the market for each appliance.

OP I cant recommend a specific oven but would say try to get one that has the feature of an internal temperature probe. This then allows you to set the internal temperature of the meat you are cooking and the oven stops cooking when it reaches that temperature. So it takes any guess work out of cooking times, by cooking to internal temperatures you can deliver up perfectly rare beef every time. I find it a really handy function and wouldnt be without it now

The other tip I would suggest if you want to try save a few quid is give a shop on Camden St, D2 called Gas Electric a ring or call into them. They get ex display ovens from the big retailers and sell them on at very good discounts.I got my own oven from them and it still had the Harvey Norman price sticker on it- 1,800 euro but discounted down to 600. They have a shop on Adverts too so you should be able to see what stock they have at the moment but ringing them up with your requirements or calling in to them would also be a good idea, the owner there is very helpful.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We got an AEG double oven a couple of years ago. Really happy with it, capacity is great, no issues fitting anything we want into the top oven, and temps go up to 300c, so you'd be covered there. We got a good deal on it as we were buying a load of appliances, and even then it would have been close to your budget, but keep an eye out and you might get lucky with some deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zaph wrote: »
    We got an AEG double oven a couple of years ago. Really happy with it, capacity is great, no issues fitting anything we want into the top oven, and temps go up to 300c, so you'd be covered there. We got a good deal on it as we were buying a load of appliances, and even then it would have been close to your budget, but keep an eye out and you might get lucky with some deals.

Like Siemens and Bosch are, essentially, the same, I think AEG and Electrolux are, essentially the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I took the advice of bought a Which subscription and that was a great idea, thank you!

Went for the NEFF - N30 U1CHC0AN0B Electric Double Oven in the end. Good reviews and a good price on sale, Curry’s had it reduced from €1050 to €790. Delivered and installed on the day we left for holiday, was nearly tempted to delay leaving for a day so I could use it 😅

Thank you for all the help!

Advertisement