Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more motorways - what ya reckon?

Options
  • 26-06-2021 10:35pm

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/we-will-build-bypasses-instead-of-motorways-from-now-on-to-save-dying-irish-towns-eamon-ryan-40579975.html
    IRELAND will be building bypasses in the future rather than new motorways, Transport Minister Eamon Ryan has declared.

“The switch has been made and it’s agreed in Government,” the leader of the Green Party insisted.

He told the Seanad today that the days of new motorways that “go out and out and out” were over
    Having people living in the centre of the town is not only good in terms of addressing the housing crisis, but it means we don't have to build out and out, and we don't have to pour all the cement for the new pavements and the new water management systems, and the new schools, and the new everything that goes out and out and out.”

With electric vehicles on the horizon the greens would prefer we used public transport and live in high density rather than keep private cars

Are they right or wrong?

Imagine covid if we could only use uber
    Why live in high density now with working from home being a norm?

Motorwars? 332 votes

Continue building a network
    62% 207 votes
    Eamonn Ryan is right
    24% 80 votes
    Rip up the existing network and replace it with cycle lanes
    6% 23 votes
    you`ll take my car from my cold dead hands
    6% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Were we going to be building any new motorways anyway? Apart from the Cork - Limerick one I can't think of any.

So bypasses around small towns will encourage people to fix up empty properties and will solve the housing crisis? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He won't be in power long enough to make any of his bollixology decisions see the light of day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

With electric vehicles on the horizon the greens would prefer we used public transport and live in high density rather than keep private cars

Are they right or wrong?

i'm not quite sure what you're saying here.
    cars take up the same space on the road whether they're electric or ICE.
    electric cars aren't *that* much more efficient than ICE cars anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the Irish public have a right to expect a minimum standard of road same as other western countries. That means motorways as well as other improvements.

Trying to deprive the public of services/infrastructure other countries have enjoyed for decades for mindless, baseless ideology really ticks people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I think the Irish public have a right to expect a minimum standard of road same as other western countries. That means motorways as well as other improvements.

Trying to deprive the public of services/infrastructure other countries have enjoyed for decades for mindless, baseless ideology really ticks people off.

With a few notable exceptions aren't all the major motorway projects finished now anyway?

• Advertisement
    M

They bought brand new hybrid buses for Dublin Bus with no AC, the manufacturers must still be laughing at that ultra dumbass decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,655 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

BREAKING NEWS - no dublin bus routes use motorways, completed or yet to be built*

*citation required

We can't manage public transport with the towns/cities we have at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

We can't manage public transport with the towns/cities we have at the minute.

Because we don't invest enough in it and our cities are choked with cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The N24 Limerick to Waterford road needs a major upgrade in many places.

Possibly not a motorway, but at least a dual carriageway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heraclius wrote: »
    With a few notable exceptions aren't all the major motorway projects finished now anyway?

Nope, there is the M20, M28, the gap in the M11, Cork Ring Road and more to do yet including widening existing routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Eamon Ryan has either become more radical or more stupid with age, I can never really determine which.

wales has announced a cessation of *all* new road building, this is less radical than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

BREAKING NEWS - no dublin bus routes use motorways, completed or yet to be built*

*citation required

Multiple routes use motorways to travel between the garage and the terminus, either that or they bring empty busses on the M50 for ****s and giggles

so no actual bus routes use motorways?
    i.e. the comment about dublin buses and A/C has zero relevance to the thread topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

So, in one of the country's in Europe that has one of the highest percentage of rural population, Mr Ryan has decided that the rural dwellers don't need any more motorways. What about all the businesses that need roads for distribution.

Also, reading the nonsense about not building out and out, does that mean we are now going to be building up and up? I read it to mean no new housing estates. Now that will be fun as all it means is massive tower blocks. It looks like some sort of dystopian future from a Hollywood film.

Geez that man is for the birds.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

To be honest there won't be any money to do any roads....

They bought brand new hybrid buses for Dublin Bus with no AC, the manufacturers must still be laughing at that ultra dumbass decision.

Don’t the windows open? If so, grand.

M

fvp4 wrote: »
    Don’t he windows open? If so, grand.

In diesel congested capital cities not a good idea, additionally not a comfortable place to be in the summer, don't worry though, none of the government TD's nor Dublin Bus management will be travelling in them ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

This will hopefully be the last time we see the Greens, at best they are idiots at worse they are psychopaths.

For the economy to function motorways are needed between Cork and Limerick, Limerick and Waterford/ Rosslare, Dublin and Donegal.

These clowns are deluded leaving wolves roam in rural Ireland, carsharing in rural areas and lettuce on windowsills.

• Advertisement

In diesel congested capital cities not a good idea, additionally not a comfortable place to be in the summer, don't worry though, none of the government TD's nor Dublin Bus management will be travelling in them ever.

I prefer when the windows can open on a bus, or train, myself. Important in the Covid era.

Ventilate ventilate ventilate.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

So keep the death rates on our roads as high as possible. Makes sense.

In diesel congested capital cities not a good idea

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I asked a friend of mine recently, who's a farmer in the west, what his thoughts on Eamonn were as we were discussing a few things, and suffice it to say, they don't have much time for Eamo in rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Heraclius wrote: »
    Because we don't invest enough in it and our cities are choked with cars?

Stockholm has about 300,000 less people then Dublin, yet has a functioning Metro since 1950... 7 lines 100 stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I would tend to agree that money would be better spent on "building up" and on public transport in the cities than on building motorways everywhere.

However that is conditioned on the most unsafe roads being upgraded to a safe standard (dual carriageway or 2+1),there are still some shocking roads once you cross the Shannon (or the border to Derry or North Donegal but that's not in our direct remit).

That's a Dublin centric view, people have already mentioned the Cork Limerick mway and the M11 completion. What other mways do people want?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are they right or wrong?

I don't think anybody is suggesting skyscrapers, etc.

Just 4-6 storeys in cities, and more people living in villages and towns, rather than one-off rural housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

What exactly is referring to with "go out and out and out".

He means expanding outward from town/city centres?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The ratio of spending in Ireland on roads versus public transport is monumentally weighted towards roads. A correction is needed.

• Advertisement

This is the same government that won't allow upward building in the capital city, and also want to add a congestion charge to those who have to buy in the sprawling suburbs.

Joined up thinking is not a strong point.

When (if) they ever get public transport sorted, then they can look at trying to get rid of cars. Though they won't need to - if they can manage to wrangle together some kind of half-decent public transport, people will leave their cars anyway.

Advertisement