Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more motorways - what ya reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭blackbox

we need the councils to build Tesla style DC fast charge public parking bays for 10+ cars throughout the country ideally at public transport hubs

The councils never built petrol stations. Why would they build charging stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1874 wrote: »
    Ok, well you suggested they are responsible for improving cancer outcomes, any proof of that? or that it wouldnt have happened otherwise or due to other circumstances?
    Read up on the work Prof Tom Keane did on the National Cancer Strategy. Here, I'll start you off.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/a-growing-challenge-on-cancer-strategy-1.2093102

Do you think he would have just shown up here from Canada and breezed in with a plan if there hadn't been a Govt policy to fix this?
    1874 wrote: »
    We have cars because we need them, a comprehensive integrated transport network infrastructure doesnt exist.
    We need cars because we've allowed car-centric planning to happen for decades.
    They'd find it hard to get outdoors if they are relying on public transport.
    They'd find it hard to get outdoors relying on public transport when every street is blocked with vast amounts of single occupancy cars.
    ineedeuro wrote: »
    What can you not participate in life without a car? apart from driving of course

FREEDOM

trafficdublin-n.jpg
    tc003.jpg
    16%20NEWS%20PL%201968533_highres.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Then you fix the problems with apartments - everyone owning a house is simply unfeasible on several different levels.

Also, the list is nonsense. You can't simply choose between office space and apartments, there are planning and zoning restrictions. Car ownership in Dublin city centre for example is incredibly low. If anything planning requirements require too many parking spaces for developments.

I never said everyone should build a house but if you're paying 400k for a home ill take the big one outside the city with a garden and parking space thank, what if you want to have more than one kid? Not exactly alot of 3 or 4 bed apts!
    How would you fix the problems with apts then?

Sorry but you are wrong, Ireland isn't sim city, in most city centers you can build what you want if you apply for planning and a change of use, be that a hotel, apt block, office, shop, student accommodation or any combination of these in one building. So like I said developers are choosing to build student accommodation and offices instead of apts.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40301984.html

BAM have planning for an a 300odd apt block across the river from this also on Horgans Quay and cant make the sums add up, both prime Cork city center locations.

blackbox wrote: »
    The councils never built petrol stations. Why would they build charging stations?

Supply and demand takes too long for the targets and dates the government has committed to regarding emissions and banning of petrol & diesel new cars, the private sector arnt going to be building massive EV charging stations until there are enough electric cars on the road or they get large subsidies to do so and by then it will be too late and EV owners will suffer.

Plus it just makes alot of sense, government needs to encourage people to move to EV's, councils already own loads of parking spaces and land in prime locations, far more than any private company could build up and the council's don't need to make a profit, just break even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

blackbox wrote: »

They shouldn't, Ireland already has a few companies up and running installing charge points.
    Plus manufacturers. No council should be involved past approving planning

• Advertisement

Supply and demand takes too long for the targets and dates the government has committed to regarding emissions and banning of petrol & diesel new cars, the private sector arnt going to be building massive EV charging stations until there are enough electric cars on the road or they get large subsidies to do so and by then it will be too late and EV owners will suffer.

Plus it just makes alot of sense, government needs to encourage people to move to EV's, councils already own loads of parking spaces and land in prime locations, far more than any private company could build up and the council's don't need to make a profit, just break even.

Easygo are already up and running for years. Ecars which is a part of ESB is also
    VW company Ionity and Tesla also.

How many companies do you want?

Once the Cork to Limerick is done they need no more.

Owning a car is not a sign of a better lifestyle. Millions of people around the World live in a lot better conditions and a lot better lifestyle to Ireland and never own a car and never have a drivers license. Go to Berlin/Amsterdam/Rotherdam/etc etc and tell people they have a "poorer lifestyle" to Ireland because they don't drive cars and wait for the reaction

We should be investing in technology and solution so in the future a car is not a requirement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

Seems that most Europeans own more cars per capita than us. I thought they all walked and cycled everywhere and lived in apartments?

More of them do live in apartments, 46% in 2019. But Europe is also far more overcrowded than Ireland according to reports from the US itself.

Why we should emulate that I do not know? We have the least densely populated country in Europe. Seems like we just shouldnt all be crowding into Dublin.
    In 2019, 46.1 % of the EU population lived in flats, more than one third (34.8 %) lived in detached houses and almost one fifth (18.5 %) lived in semi-detached or terraced houses.
    https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained

20 - 30% overcrowding rate in Europe versus 5% here.

636px-Overcrowding_rate%2C_2019.png

Owning a car is not a sign of a better lifestyle.

This bit is rubbish. To deny the convenience of a car is just off the wall nuts.
    It is like you want people to live like its the early 1900s with tenements back in fashion and cars a thing for the rich.
    Indeed. I find it incredibly depressing that cars have completely taken over residential streets and the current youth generation can't properly enjoy the outdoors because of the proliferation of private vehicles everywhere.

Thats A) because councils discourage car ownership by not allowing enough parking spaces and B) we doubled the amount of cars on the road when we needed dual incomes to pay for accommodation

Thats A) because councils discourage car ownership by not allowing enough parking spaces and B) we doubled the amount of cars on the road when we needed dual incomes to pay for accommodation
    Or maybe the price of accommodation went up because we all had dual incomes?

R

FREEDOM

trafficdublin-n.jpg
    tc003.jpg
    16%20NEWS%20PL%201968533_highres.jpg

No thats commuting.

This is FREEDOM

driving-happy.0.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F120424103901-great-ocean-road.jpg

url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.themandagies.com%2F30-road-trip-essentials%2F&psig=AOvVaw0pHrENeANzEtlZu3pNduMp&ust=1625087116347000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjX0tSz373xAhUF-jgGHfmGDLgQjRx6BAgAEA8

1800x1200_family_riding_in_car_other.jpg

family-road-trip-to-the-sea.jpg

iceland-offroad-driving-landmannalaugar-jeep-roadtrip-crossing-river.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=970&format=jpg&quality=80&rnd=132598325740000000

3661.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&

Roadtrip_Monteverde_CostaRica-15d5edea98a9.jpg

Even the big 4x4 gas guzzlers can be electric now:

• Advertisement

No thats commuting.

This is FREEDOM

Even the big 4x4 gas guzzlers can be electric now:

Well its not a 4x4 gas guzzler if its electric? :P

Anyway, all of the above you provided images of, how many are in Ireland out of interest?
    The car jam ones certainly are.

Or maybe the price of accommodation went up because we all had dual incomes?

It sure did, doesnt alter the fact that both work now with a doubling of transport pollution to effectively pay for the same thing that cost half prior. Running to standstill. Dont ever see greens try address this

Anyway, all of the above you provided images of, how many are in Ireland out of interest?

Do people not go on road trips in Ireland? Isnt one of our biggest selling points for tourism a road trip, the wild atlantic way?

wild-atlantic-way-itinerary-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

wild%20atlantic%20way%20sign-728x485.jpg

DSC_6417.jpg

Do people not go on road trips in Ireland? Isnt one of our biggest selling points for tourism a road trip, the wild atlantic way?

Yes it is, we also have a huge amount of cycle ways and they are getting more and more popular. You have a huge industry who will travel the rivers as well.

I think you are getting a little confused. Nobody is saying you can't drive a car. What people are saying is we don't need to build motorway. Do you think we should build a motor down the Wild Athlantic way?

The main point here is we should invest in public transport in major cities and to connect cities in Ireland to reduce traffic.

Imagine flying into a city, arriving at the airport and no train station to get out of the airport? how f**king backward is that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I think we should build more motorways.

Just to annoy green party members and other tree hugging hippy types.

More importantly, how many of them are not taken from car advertising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

So if there's no more motorway building what's in it fir the cronies? Do sea defences replace motorways to keep the cronies in clover? 10 metre sea wall from Bray to Drogheda?

It sure did, doesnt alter the fact that both work now with a doubling of transport pollution to effectively pay for the same thing that cost half prior. Running to standstill. Dont ever see greens try address this

Fascinating to see people blame the Greens, who have been in power for one year of the last eleven years, for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, instead of a weeks driving holiday we now have to market it as a months cycle holiday..

Fascinating to see people blame the Greens, who have been in power for one year of the last eleven years, for everything.

They are such a dislikeable bunch, sort of all the bad bits of all the other parties distilled into one grouping and smelling of wee

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Well, instead of a weeks driving holiday we now have to market it as a months cycle holiday..

Yeah, sure who'd be interested in cycling holidays anyway;
    https://twitter.com/JonathanKeenan/status/1318457585775841280

They are such a dislikeable bunch, sort of all the bad bits of all the other parties distilled into one grouping and smelling of wee

I hate the way they keep banging on about the oul climate nonsense when we all know there's nothing to worry about;
    https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1409373045073010689

Yeah, sure who'd be interested in cycling holidays anyway;
    https://twitter.com/JonathanKeenan/status/1318457585775841280

I hate the way they keep banging on about the oul climate nonsense when we all know there's nothing to worry about;
    https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1409373045073010689

I remember 1976 and 1995, and anyway actual environmental stuff has eff all to do with the Irish Green party, it's just somewhere the people who used to join the priesthood hang out now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

cgcsb wrote: »
    Only a tiny fraction of journeys are intercity journeys. Most are within our towns and cities so motorways aren't any use when we already have a full intercity network (pending M20 completion).

Fewer young people have a drivers license these days and cant afford the insurance anyway.

More and more people are living in cities.

We have a radial network linking Dublin to our other cities. It is far from a full intercity network. Even a completed M20 would leave it well short of a full intercity network.

We have a radial network linking Dublin to our other cities. It is far from a full intercity network. Even a completed M20 would leave it well short of a full intercity network.

Any why exactly would we need a full intercity? some of the motorway already are a grave yard at the best of times.

Easygo are already up and running for years. Ecars which is a part of ESB is also
    VW company Ionity and Tesla also.

How many companies do you want?

Do any of them have any plans in motion to provide petrol station type high volume charge facilities around the country though?
    I will take a wild guess the answer to that is no because they cant afford to actually buy any land to build them, all they are doing is using other people's land at the moment so like I said a council could make use of their existing land banks and parking spaces without having to do a 20 page profit viability report to the their local bank for a loan.

All I see are petrol stations everywhere at the moment but you can still end up waiting for a pump to come free at times, what happens when it takes someone 40+mins to refill their car, how many charge points do you need to facilitate that? Alot of people simply wont be able to charge at home or work.

See what they have done in Dundee and think how far behind we are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDpblnu9xUE&list=PLzD0K2OhbVfEs4ENmPNe3EQb7deSqRqqU&index=91&t=3s

And another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoN4WCpuxHY&list=PLzD0K2OhbVfEs4ENmPNe3EQb7deSqRqqU&index=25&t=478s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The sooner we get rid of Eamonn Ryan the better, the man is insane.

I remember 1976 and 1995, and anyway actual environmental stuff has eff all to do with the Irish Green party, it's just somewhere the people who used to join the priesthood hang out now,

Yeah, I remember 76 too. The max temperature in Canada that year was about 25% lower than what they're experiencing this week. But sure maybe we should wait for a clearer sign that something is up?

https://twitter.com/Krubuntu/status/1409687246177923076
    I basically see the Greens as Renko, though I wish I could silence most of what they say as easily, and because of this I’ll see them as being completely wrong until the end of time.

They'd rarely get my No.1 funnily enough, but on their behalf and my own, thanks so much for all that space in your head that you're letting us have for no charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Any why exactly would we need a full intercity? some of the motorway already are a grave yard at the best of times.

I was just responding to cgcsb's assertion that we have a full intercity network (pending M20 completion). We simply don't.

Some sections of our intercity road network are barely above bog road level. Our other cities (i.e. other than Dublin) should be interconnected by at least dual carriageway level roads and I would extend that to counties Sligo and Donegal too to counter regional isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Not really no. Infrastructure should be focused on villages, towns and cities.

Infastructure, what do people think that is....
    Personally i think its water, roads, rail,canals and some other services that are for the public good.

• Advertisement

I was just responding to cgcsb's assertion that we have a full intercity network (pending M20 completion). We simply don't.

Some sections of our intercity road network are barely above bog road level. Our other cities (i.e. other than Dublin) should be interconnected by at least dual carriageway level roads and I would extend that to counties Sligo and Donegal too to counter regional isolation.

Not really. The damage to the countryside would be high for the minimal cars that would travel it. They would be better served putting in a proper train network for those locations.

Advertisement