Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more motorways - what ya reckon?

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

That might have been the case one time but it's changed, there are areas now where rents would have been reasonable up to a few years ago have nearly doubled, where I live rents are quite low so nobody wants the bother of renting out a house and giving half the rent to Revenue, so you've two extremes

Yes, there are areas... of all kinds in Ireland.. The big problem is for Dublin, and for those who don't want to commute. My own house was in negative equity for a rather long time, and as for rents, it wasn't good until about 6 months ago. Now it's rather nice to be renting out, but it certainly doesn't make up for the last decade of crap rates and taxes. In any case, I (and most of the other house owners in my estate) are aiming to sell while the prices are reasonable. Not a whole lot of profit involved, but better to get rid of them before the property market bursts again. Which it will.

Look. I'm not saying that there isn't a housing shortage. There definitely is. Although I think the big problem is this fixation on houses, and tiny apartment blocks, as opposed to building apartment towers, four-five towers to a complex, and 25 floors tall. This resistance to building the kind of apartments you'd find in most modern cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes, there are areas... of all kinds in Ireland.. The big problem is for Dublin, and for those who don't want to commute. My own house was in negative equity for a rather long time, and as for rents, it wasn't good until about 6 months ago. Now it's rather nice to be renting out, but it certainly doesn't make up for the last decade of crap rates and taxes. In any case, I (and most of the other house owners in my estate) are aiming to sell while the prices are reasonable. Not a whole lot of profit involved, but better to get rid of them before the property market bursts again. Which it will.

Look. I'm not saying that there isn't a housing shortage. There definitely is. Although I think the big problem is this fixation on houses, and tiny apartment blocks, as opposed to building apartment towers, four-five towers to a complex, and 25 floors tall. This resistance to building the kind of apartments you'd find in most modern cities.

The balls up that was Ballymun poisoned any chance that high rise would work in Ireland, criminality has to be met with extreme sanction, criminal court conviction and instant eviction,

The balls up that was Ballymun poisoned any chance that high rise would work in Ireland, criminality has to be met with extreme sanction, criminal court conviction and instant eviction,

It's not just Ballymun. It's the limited 60s/70s style of apartments that came over from the UK. There were some in my home town and everyone breathed a sigh of relief when they were torn down.

However, the mistake has always been to make them low cost, and to essentially shove lower income groups into them. Do the opposite now. Target young and middle aged professionals, with a solid entry price. Provide the proper complete setup of shops, and security (part of the maintenance contract) within the compound. Follow the model of apartments that can be found in Asia, and the bigger cities throughout the world.

I've lived in dozens of apartments at this point, and while there are some downsides.. if it's properly operated, and maintained, it can be a money maker, while providing a safe and comfortable environment for everyone.

Advertisement