Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more motorways - what ya reckon?

Options

Comments

The person living in the boreen has avoided participation in the provision of social housing as one-off housing avoids the Part V social housing obligation of property developers, leaving the rest of us to shoulder that burden.

Yet another subsidy to rural dwellers..

I reckon co-living is the way forward, it's got some great green credentials. People can watch each other and make sure they do the right thing for the environment and dob in wrong doers. We should demolish all existing one off houses and move them into apartments in cities and towns.

Will that make up for it?

Oh look there is even research to say we should be doing this:

A study of coliving as a sustainable urban housing strategy in Stockholm

More great reading

Is Coliving the answer to sustainable living?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2008/apr/low-carbon-living-takes-us

Do you think co2 reduction advocates like leonardo di caprio would trade his Malibu mansion for co-living In downtown LA, next door to skid row?

He might prefer something like this ?

I’d go for communes. 20 to a room using only green energy of self satisfaction to power the lights and heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭blackbox

We need an outer ring motorway around Dublin. The M50 is over capacity a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

They bought brand new hybrid buses for Dublin Bus with no AC, the manufacturers must still be laughing at that ultra dumbass decision.

I also can't understand why buses in a damp country have fabric on the seats, which gets dirty and smelly when it gets wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan while he seems to be a nice enough chap is a thundering fool on a few levels. The wolves in Ireland one was a highpoint of uninformed idiocy. He and his party are supported by a tiny number of suburban, mostly Dublin based, right on sweaters knitted from organic muesli, authentic peruvian hatted, vegetarian when it suits types. AKA gobsh1tes. The Greens are a party of the suburban gobsh1tes and the staggeringly naive and their idiotic pronouncements are best ignored.

:D

I think you're on to something there! Where can I get one of these - for a friend of course :pac:

• Advertisement

The person living in the boreen has avoided participation in the provision of social housing as one-off housing avoids the Part V social housing obligation of property developers, leaving the rest of us to shoulder that burden.

Have they? So there's no one off housing in leafy suburbia? No older housing stock of all types built long before before the masses started demanding free "forever homes"? Maybe just maybe yer man down the boreen - took his arse in his own hands and scripmed and saved and built his own house so it didn't have to burden the state with providing him with social housing? And yes there's plenty of housing estates which have been built since the celtic tiger in "rural areas" with the obligatory Part V social housing obligation.

But yeah something something subsidy something ....

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Should be going high rise in zoned areas close to the city centre. The sprawl of Dublin meaning people need to commute from Newbridge and beyond is absolutely stupid.

I agree entirely. Unfortunately I feel someone needs a DeLorean to go back to the 50s or 60s to stop the rubbish development model for we followed since then. It almost feels too late now. Of course we should still do everything we can now to make sure new development is concentrated in cities, towns and villages and proper public transport links are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

blackbox wrote: »
    We need an outer ring motorway around Dublin. The M50 is over capacity a lot of the time.

Just one more ring should definitely fix it.

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1305237501037043712

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1191295205187686400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

What's needed is another one along the coastline, even if it means ripping up a few houses along the way or building an elevated motorway.

• Advertisement

I reckon co-living is the way forward, it's got some great green credentials. People can watch each other and make sure they do the right thing for the environment and dob in wrong doers. We should demolish all existing one off houses and move them into apartments in cities and towns.

Will that make up for it?

Oh look there is even research to say we should be doing this:

A study of coliving as a sustainable urban housing strategy in Stockholm

More great reading

Is Coliving the answer to sustainable living?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2008/apr/low-carbon-living-takes-us

Do you think co2 reduction advocates like leonardo di caprio would trade his Malibu mansion for co-living In downtown LA, next door to skid row?

He might prefer something like this ?

There's nothing wrong with co living for young single professionals. In fact they already do it, but in crappy old cramped houses. Can't understand this stupid Irish obsession with 3 bedroom semi Ds

There's nothing wrong with co living for young single professionals. In fact they already do it, but in crappy old cramped houses. Can't understand this stupid Irish obsession with 3 bedroom semi Ds

Yes, I lived in a couple of really awful bedsits in the past, these co living arrangements look like luxury comparatively. I'd have had no problem living in one of them in my 20s and early 30s. The problem is they're still charging a fortune for the rooms in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Eamon, there has literally been an announcement in the last week of the preferred route to extend the M11 motorway 'out and out and out' to Rosslare.

Did they leave you off that memo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

The current motorways planned such as the Limerick - Cork road need to be finished. Going forward I think a lot of busy national roads badly need to be upgraded to include more overtaking lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Public transport would have to allow for the random killing of Junkies and people with their phone on loudspeaker, drivers with moustaches could also be added to that list, and of course a dirty bus would need to be burned on the spot,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

A5 Aughnacloy to Lifford and N14 to Letterkenny, take the funding from the children's hospital if they have to it won't be finished this century anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Complete the m50 ring on top of flood defences in Dublin bay. Or don't. Dublin congestion stops being a problemmif the city centre is underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The only remaining motorways to be built are the M20, M28, M40(North) the last bit of the M11 and perhaps a motorway connection to Foynes. The N4 and N24 might require some dual sections or perhaps entirely dualled. Then you're talking about schemes to bypass towns and the dangerous sections of the national secondary routes which are a death trap in many locations at the minute. In short there's not really a whole lot of motorway building to be done. The spending focus needs to be on active and public transport in cities and towns, that's where the vast majority of trips are and that has to be reflected in the spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

FGR wrote: »
    The Atlantic Corridor project between Rosslare and Letterkenny via Waterford/Cork/Limerick/Galway/Sligo was one part of Transport21 that made sense imo.

It's a shame that one of the largest infrastructural plans in history was simply cast aside at the bust and not preserved or progressed through at least the cheaper/earlier stages.

If he had his way the M20 amongst others would never happen and that any bypasses would be S2 type that will be congested again in less than a decade.

the parts of that corridor that had traffic to justify it have i believe been done apart from cork to limerick which is being built.
    but there is no need what soever for a whole motor way from rosslare to donegal, you can more or less do most of that journey via motor way anyway, just not a dedicated one which as i said just couldn't be justified.
    realistically bypasses are going to become congested in years to come anyway so the best way to deal with that issue is removing cars, because we will never be able to road build our way out of the congestion issue.

no, we really really don't.
    what we need is to remove cars from the m50 via multiple approaches, good public transport, road pricing and congestion charges, that will help with that problem at a pittence of the cost.
    otherwise we will be at the same thing decades down the line, building an outer outer outer ring road to bypass the outer outer ring road to bypass the outer ring road that is apparently needed to bypass the m50, and on and on.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

They also don't get any street lighting, parks, public transport, mains water, mains sewage, mains gas, properly maintained roads & hedges, close by schools/garda stations/hospitals etc

Plus the obvious fault in your suggestion is that Part V houses are bought by council's and housing bodies which are funded by, you've guessed it, all Irish taxpayers not just the ones in cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Why live in high density now with working from home being a norm?

My understanding is that the centre of Paris has high density housing. High density is not necessarily high rise. Good architecture and city planning would provide suitable homes for a large proportion of society.

Up until now we've had massive investments in our road network - the 51km M3 runs from Clonee to north of Kells and was built at a cost of almost €1 billion. Remember the reaction to the €3 billion national broadband plan? Nobody batted an eyelid at the cost of the Clonee to Kells road.

Many people may prefer to live somewhere like the centre of Paris than drive back and forth to Kells every day. Even if it is on a €1 billion road:-)

https://www.francetoday.com/travel/paris/the-paris-bicycle-boom/

Also many want to live in high density areas with lots of facilities and stuff going on rather than middle of nowhere. Our urban areas are so painfully underdeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How does Eamon Ryan get to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

biko wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Yes, ship them from Dublin and Cork city centres out to rural areas around the country.
    Maybe a dose of the real world will wake them up.

I really wonder what rationale is used when designating someone as a Mod.

Mad Benny wrote: »
    My understanding is that the centre of Paris has high density housing. High density is not necessarily high rise. Good architecture and city planning would provide suitable homes for a large proportion of society.

Up until now we've had massive investments in our road network - the 51km M3 runs from Clonee to north of Kells and was built at a cost of almost €1 billion. Remember the reaction to the €3 billion national broadband plan? Nobody batted an eyelid at the cost of the Clonee to Kells road.

Many people may prefer to live somewhere like the centre of Paris than drive back and forth to Kells every day. Even if it is on a €1 billion road:-)

https://www.francetoday.com/travel/paris/the-paris-bicycle-boom/

Have you ever seen the size of your average affordable apartment in Paris? A cat could get a cerebral haemorrhage just trying to get through the apartment door ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

the parts of that corridor that had traffic to justify it have i believe been done apart from cork to limerick which is being built.
    but there is no need what soever for a whole motor way from rosslare to donegal, you can more or less do most of that journey via motor way anyway, just not a dedicated one which as i said just couldn't be justified.
    realistically bypasses are going to become congested in years to come anyway so the best way to deal with that issue is removing cars, because we will never be able to road build our way out of the congestion issue.

no, we really really don't.
    what we need is to remove cars from the m50 via multiple approaches, good public transport, road pricing and congestion charges, that will help with that problem at a pittence of the cost.
    otherwise we will be at the same thing decades down the line, building an outer outer outer ring road to bypass the outer outer ring road to bypass the outer ring road that is apparently needed to bypass the m50, and on and on.
    Congestion charges are a good idea but you'd only have that in the core. Like between the canals. They should build a tunnel under Dublin bay

Most people would be better dead if all they have to look forward to in life is this notion of high density shared housing. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

ianobrien wrote: »
    So, in one of the country's in Europe that has one of the highest percentage of rural population, Mr Ryan has decided that the rural dwellers don't need any more motorways. What about all the businesses that need roads for distribution.

Also, reading the nonsense about not building out and out, does that mean we are now going to be building up and up? I read it to mean no new housing estates. Now that will be fun as all it means is massive tower blocks. It looks like some sort of dystopian future from a Hollywood film.

Geez that man is for the birds.......

Urban areas use Motorways to bypass rural areas. Rural areas usually protest against Motorways because they get nothing from them. Literally the opposite of what you are arguing.

I can't even begin to decipher the second paragraph other than "Ban on new motorways means we will all be forced to live in tower blocks". Asinine at best but you seem to be arguing the country should be endless suburbs connected by Freeways like some dystopian Los Angeles in Ireland.

Lot of people on this thread who read "Eoin Ryan" and without even considering what was said go straight to insult mode about his intellect when frankly the level of intellect and intellectual dishonesty shown by posters. The exact same people in Ireland that were against banning unleaded "What about my car value" and against the ban on cheap smokey coal "It will crack my grate" and against plastic bags. It's tiresome at this stage and literally sound like Trump supporters talking about Hillary. More of a reflection on themselves than on Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This reflects the nonsense policy of securing social housing using Part V procedures, which essentially directs the cost of housing on to those who are themselves in need of a house. If social housing is required, then everyone should contribute to it, whether or not they buy a new house should not enter in to it.

It says a lot when you defend one ridiculous policy with another.

Advertisement