Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting in Limerick: questions from a newcomer

• 27-06-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I am new to Boards and soon-to-be new to Ireland in general, and Limerick in particular.

My spouse has just accepted a new position as lecturer at the University of Limerick, and we are both calm, quiet, non-smoking professionals, and we have an (old) dog. But the market seems to be very sluggish right now and we're not getting a lot of traction.

Does the housing market speed up occasionally? Or do we just have to jump onto something, anything, and sort out the details, like internet for my WFH, later?

Also, do people not get dogs until they become house owners? There seems to be fewer than 20 rentals in all of Ireland right now that allow pets. Is there a point in writing potential landlords that are not listed as "pets allowed", explaining what we'd pay extra in terms of deposits/deep cleaning/dog rent? Or would it be a futile exercise?

We're looking for anywhere in a 20-ish kilometre of Castletroy, on Daft, Rent, and MyHome. Have I missed any other venues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just incase you're not aware, there is a massive housing storage in general in Ireland.

Not a hope would a landlord take on tenants with a dog when there will be literally 100's of others without one. There is extra upkeep and maintenance needed with dogs and it's not worth the landlords hassle.

Also no point in contacting the landlord directly as many properties are let the same day they are advertised.

Realistically, if you see a property, just jump on it and hope for the best, have your deposit and month's rent in advance ready to go.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

PatFanda wrote: »
    Hello,

I am new to Boards and soon-to-be new to Ireland in general, and Limerick in particular.

My spouse has just accepted a new position as lecturer at the University of Limerick, and we are both calm, quiet, non-smoking professionals, and we have an (old) dog. But the market seems to be very sluggish right now and we're not getting a lot of traction.

Does the housing market speed up occasionally? Or do we just have to jump onto something, anything, and sort out the details, like internet for my WFH, later?

Also, do people not get dogs until they become house owners? There seems to be fewer than 20 rentals in all of Ireland right now that allow pets. Is there a point in writing potential landlords that are not listed as "pets allowed", explaining what we'd pay extra in terms of deposits/deep cleaning/dog rent? Or would it be a futile exercise?

We're looking for anywhere in a 20-ish kilometre of Castletroy, on Daft, Rent, and MyHome. Have I missed any other venues?

You could try Corbally, Westbury and Shannon Banks region. Cycle to campus along the river instead of driving the long way and get stuck in traffic.

Hello,

Aim for a one or two bedroom apartment. Pay landlords via bank and say nothing about the dog. If landlord need to visit, take dog for a wee walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

YFlyer wrote: »
    Aim for a one or two bedroom apartment. Pay landlords via bank and say nothing about the dog. If landlord need to visit, take dog for a wee walk.
    Management company rules often forbid the keeping of dogs in apartment complexes and with good reason.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Management company rules often forbid the keeping of dogs in apartment complexes and with good reason.

I live in Cois Ghruda. Individual landlords don't mind and management don't call to houses to see if there are pet. Often rules are from over control tenants at meetings.

• Advertisement

Hello,

20-ish km makes sense in theory but in reality you need to factor how long that 20km will take you to travel on Irish roads or on (very poor) public transport. Nenagh, for example, is over 20 km from UL but is connected by a motorway to UL so it's an easier drive than some towns that are closer.

Do UL have a liaison office who can arrange a short term rental while ye decide where you want to live? Personally think the advice of living within cycling or walking distance of UL is a good one but that doesn't suit everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Just asking the question in case it may be helpful to the OP - I honestly don't know the answer as haven't been renting in a while.

But is it still the case that if they are willing to rent 20 minutes out from the City in a rural location where demand is a little less they have a better chance at finding a place that suits and maybe landlords might be less fussy due to having less demand?

* Granted this opens up new problems like the need to keep 1 or 2 cars on the road etc.

Also OP be prepared to be a bit tough nosed here - Not all... but some Irish Landlords are cynical, sneaky, profiteering souls who would suck every bit of life and happiness out of you and yours for some small further increased monthly profit for themselves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

chicorytip wrote: »

When most of the time, it's the humans who are wrecking the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Hello,

Try around this area:

Clonoughter, Gillogue, Clonlara (All Co Clare)

Perfect for all your needs. 20 mins walk or 3 min cycle to UL using the back door.

example of property for sale, I don't see any for rent.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...-clare/4495909

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6859682,-8.5957296,14z

20-ish km makes sense in theory but in reality you need to factor how long that 20km will take you to travel on Irish roads or on (very poor) public transport. Nenagh, for example, is over 20 km from UL but is connected by a motorway to UL so it's an easier drive than some towns that are closer.

Do UL have a liaison office who can arrange a short term rental while ye decide where you want to live? Personally think the advice of living within cycling or walking distance of UL is a good one but that doesn't suit everyone.

Short term with UL?

• Advertisement

Short term with UL?

It's not uncommon for companies to arrange short term rental for staff they've hired in from overseas while the staff get set up. I'd be surprised if UL don't have any such office, since they must see this situation every year.

It's not uncommon for companies to arrange short term rental for staff they've hired in from overseas while the staff get set up. I'd be surprised if UL don't have any such office, since they must see this situation every year.

Where would they? Brennan Court be fully occupied. Park or Kilmurry hotel for meeting visits. It be the facility off their own back. Don't expect Plassy Campus to help out.

Try around this area:

Clonoughter, Gillogue, Clonlara (All Co Clare)

Perfect for all your needs. 20 mins walk or 3 min cycle to UL using the back door.

example of property for sale, I don't see any for rent.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...-clare/4495909

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6859682,-8.5957296,14z

Be quick cycling. Don't think he is Sean Kelly.

Where would they? Brennan Court be fully occupied. Park or Kilmurry hotel for meeting visits. It be the facility off their own back. Don't expect Plassy Campus to help out.

No idea what UL do, afaik, Regeneron keep several apartments in the Strand complex for this very reason.

Apples and oranges to a degree I know but UL should have a re-location plan in place for people it hires, it's a pretty big organisation.

No idea what UL do, afaik, Regeneron keep several apartments in the Strand complex for this very reason.

Apples and oranges to a degree I know but UL should have a re-location plan in place for people it hires, it's a pretty big organisation.

They don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

Castleoaks house / hotel out in Castleconnel do short and long term all inclusive rental in their Courtyard Suites,

Members of UL, Munster Rugby and the life science's company's in the area have used them while looking for longer more permanent accommodation.

it's 350 euro a week all in, they are 2 bedroom both en-suite duplex apartments, with a small dining area, kitchen, (fridge, dual hobs and microwave grill) and tv room.
    Internet and electric included in cost and you get full access to all hotel facilities and they allow pets

It maybe a solution for you short term while you look for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I would suggest your spouse travel there and get organised before you and a dog arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Castleoaks house / hotel out in Castleconnel do short and long term all inclusive rental in their Courtyard Suites,

Members of UL, Munster Rugby and the life science's company's in the area have used them while looking for longer more permanent accommodation.

it's 350 euro a week all in, they are 2 bedroom both en-suite duplex apartments, with a small dining area, kitchen, (fridge, dual hobs and microwave grill) and tv room.
    Internet and electric included in cost and you get full access to all hotel facilities and they allow pets

It maybe a solution for you short term while you look for something.

The situation there changed as of May. No long term rentals as their houses are kept for wedding bookings until November at least.

Advertisement