Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bad areas of Dublin for buying a house

Options

Comments

Flinty997 wrote: »
    You don't need anyone to tell you. Just follow the prices.

This is the best rating system. The market is the best guide. a 3-bed semi-detached house in Jobstown versus a 3-bed semi in Donnybrook will be very different in valuations. People can pretend that there are no good and bad areas but in reality, in general, the best areas are along the coast, both North and South of Dublin. Apart from Balbriggan which is its own little case study.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Cristianc wrote: »
    Hello. I'm looking to buy a house in the following months in Dublin.. at least try.
    Since I'm not from Ireland and only been here for a few years, I don't know the areas very well. I do suspect there's a connection between prices and the level of civilization of the area.
    I would like to buy a 3br, 2bath house/apartment up to a max of 400k and up to C3 BER standard.
    This excludes most of the south of Dublin. However there are areas I haven't visited yet but I'm taking into consideration.
    So maybe you guys can tell me from a scale of 0 (very rough) to 10 (very good) what do you think about the following areas:

Malahide/Belmayne, Clongriffin, Beaumont, Santry, Poppintree, Blanchardstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Walkinston, Clondalkin, Tallagh, Citywest/Saggart, Ballycullen

Out of the areas I know in Dublin, I would avoid Blanchardstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Tallaght and Clondalkin big time.

Malahide can be good but also has its bad like everywhere else. Beaumont also quite nice, don't really know the rest very well

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I temporarily lived in Saggart / City West for a few months about 10 years ago. Thought it was awful. There was nothing in it except for a crap shopping centre and getting the Luas into town was an experience in itself (and also took ages).

It has been built up a lot the past decade since I lived there, so potentially it has changed for the better (or worse).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ballycullen ( or Ballycullen Road) which is probably a better locator is up behind Firhouse just off the M50 . At the bottom of the hill the Hellfire club is on. LOT of houses being built up there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Out of the areas I know in Dublin, I would avoid Blanchardstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Tallaght and Clondalkin big time.

Malahide can be good but also has its bad like everywhere else. Beaumont also quite nice, don't really know the rest very well

Parts of some of the areas you would avoid are quite nice but what does Malahide have that is bad??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Parts of some of the areas you would avoid are quite nice but what does Malahide have that is bad??

Quite a lot of anti social behavior in recent times, most of it from Youths, crime rate is also increasing rapidly, would have 100% been a place I would have recommended until recently

What parts of some of the areas I mentioned would you say are quite nice?

lol, a couple of videos of teenagers and Malahide is dodgy, whatever you say man.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Das Reich wrote: »
    Those English speakers can't undertand that for "civilized" the OP mean "developed"?

It doesn't though. Civilisation describes a civilised society. To ask which areas of Dublin lack civilisation isn't a civilised question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Malahide is out of the It's price range anyway. 3bed up to 400k. I'm outside malahide and a 3 bed near me is asking 420 so likely to go for much more. Raheny likewise, won't really find a decent 3bed for under 400k.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

gmisk wrote: »
    I have lived in lower ballyfermot for about 6 years and it is a terrific area to live in (I confirmed street was very safe with Gardai friend before considering it - lally road) The neighbours are incredibly sound and friendly, made a lot of really great friends.
    I lived in kilmainham for 10 years and I literally knew nobody.
    15 mins on a bus to town, markiewicz park, very close to war memorial gardens.

I agree that Ballyfermot can be a bit of a sh#thole.

yep i live near there, lower ballyfermot is generally grand, living there 8 years and honestly i have never had a single issue with anyone there, seems to be a decent mix of people from all walks of life in that part of ballyfermot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Most of Lucan and Adamstown are absolutely fine.
    Adamstown has one of the largest Indian communities in Ireland and is generally very mixed in terms of nationalities (e.g. a lot of folks from Poland, Spain, Latvia, Italiy etc).

This is located in a nice quite estate and in your budget:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-20-stratton-drive-adamstown-lucan-co-dublin/3267246

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

awec wrote: »
    I temporarily lived in Saggart / City West for a few months about 10 years ago. Thought it was awful. There was nothing in it except for a crap shopping centre and getting the Luas into town was an experience in itself (and also took ages).

It has been built up a lot the past decade since I lived there, so potentially it has changed for the better (or worse).

There is a hell of a lot of bullding going on in Citywest at the moment so the next few years will determine which way it goes. Its not the worst of areas but it is a pretty soulless place.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

gibgodsman wrote: »

:pac::pac: Just generalise a whole area so

tscul32 wrote: »
    Malahide is out of the It's price range anyway. 3bed up to 400k. I'm outside malahide and a 3 bed near me is asking 420 so likely to go for much more. Raheny likewise, won't really find a decent 3bed for under 400k.

You would in Edenmore which is almost Raheny. One for sale there for 300k at the moment. It's a grand area, close to st annes, the dart, the sea.

In recent times it seems like there are problems in a lot of areas in Dublin with bad neighbours and anti-social behaviour. Why is it that so many people just don't give a damn about their own or other peoples' quality of life anymore?

It's sad that such a big proportion of the population has to be avoided, or tolerated.

The Luas, the parks, large tracts of suburbia, even some main city streets are becoming no-go areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

You would in Edenmore which is almost Raheny. One for sale there for 300k at the moment. It's a grand area, close to st annes, the dart, the sea.

True, therefore a few in Edenmore. But none matching the OP's brief of 3 bed, 2 bath, BER C3. In fact if you put these into Daft there are only 30 properties in the greater Dublin area that match.

So maybe you guys can tell me from a scale of 0 (very rough) to 10 (very good) what do you think about the following areas:

Malahide/Belmayne, Clongriffin, Beaumont, Santry, Poppintree, Blanchardstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Walkinston, Clondalkin, Tallagh, Citywest/Saggart, Ballycullen

Malahide/Belmayne, : don't know well enough
    Clongriffin: don't know well enough
    Beaumont: 7
    Santry: 6
    Poppintree: 3
    Blanchardstown: 5
    Lucan: 6
    Ballyfermot: 4
    Walkinstown: 7
    Clondalkin: 6
    Tallaght: 3-7 includes the others below, giant area... mileage may vary
    Citywest/Saggart see above
    Ballycullen see above

Naos wrote: »
    We know what the OP is asking.

Would you feel more comfortable, less comfortable or indifferent with your granny walking alone through Malahide vs Tallaght?

I am so not the right person to ask, seeing as I've lived in Tallaght for 35 years.

And yes, I'd be quite happy letting my granny walk around it.

I don't know Malahide anymore, but I prefer the south side to the north side anyway. I grew up on the north side, about 4 miles from malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Malahide: 9
    Clongriffin: 1
    Beaumont: 2
    Santry: 3
    Poppintree: 1
    Blanchardstown: 1
    Ballyfermot: 1
    Walkinston: 6
    Clondalkin: 1
    Tallaght: 1
    Citywest/Saggart: 1
    Ballycullen: 5

tscul32 wrote: »
    True, therefore a few in Edenmore. But none matching the OP's brief of 3 bed, 2 bath, BER C3. In fact if you put these into Daft there are only 30 properties in the greater Dublin area that match.

Yeah mine here in the more was like a squat inside when I bought it and had to have everything done from scratch but it's a great area if you're on a budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Pobal Deprivation map might help you, it ranks areas from Extremely Disadvantaged up to Extremely Affluent. Data is from 2017 but it wlll give you an idea of areas where there is more likely to be anti social problems
    That's super, I'm going to point any of my friends who ask at this - it seems to be skewed towards income however and not assets (younger professionals are regarded as more affluent despite renting/high mortgage areas).

I don't really understand the issues people have with Lucan, it's grand. There's a few areas I'd avoid, but in general it's a pretty quiet middle-class area with decent schools and sports clubs, and you'd be unlucky to have much in the way of problems. We'll have to see how the new estates develop however.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thank you so much.
    I like the area of Malahide with Belmayne, close to Fingal cemetery. But I saw they're building lots of social apartments in several buildings on Malahide road there. Would that be a problem in the future?
    Also, regarding Lucan, why is it bad in your opinion? I've heard several people saying it woulf be very nice to live there. Compared to Saggart/Citywest or Blanchardstown.
    Saggart came to my mind because it has the Luas, a significant advantage maybe?

Lucan is a huge area. So your best bet is to ask about a specific road, house or estate you have in mind.
    The only places I personally wouldn't live in are Foxborough (as it's close to Balgaddy), Neilstown and Ronanstown (I think the last two fall under Clondalkin). Parts of Ballyowen can be a bit dodgy (especially around the Pennyhill Pub) as well. The rest is generally absolutely fine. They are buidling loads of new housing estates in and beside Adamstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Just to give you an FYI, people don't take too kindly to using the phrase, "civilised" in regards to areas. I am assuming English is your second language?

There may be places with higher crime rates, lower socio-economic levels etc.

But you can rest assured, Ireland and Dublin is quite civilised, regardless of what some people think.

Places you feel safe walking with your phone in your hand = civilized

do not even try to say that you can do that in all places in dublin. pure lies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

Dublin is civilised when it comes to people being polite, driving carefully, keeping the city clean and green. I like that. The crime rate is very unusual for me.

In my home capital (EU) people are less polite, disrespectful of traffic regulations (3M cars moving bumper to bumper would probably do this anyway), traffic violence does occur - frustrated drivers care less about lanes or right of way. Everyone's in a hurry, trying to get ahead of everyone else, by all means.

But still, there's safety on the streets. There are no gangs, teenagers are shy, you don't see drug addicts and the homeless are very few. You don't get attacked.
    A bad area means lots of cheap new apartments with bad infrastructure (dirt roads or old roads with many potholes), huge queues of cars and no parks, just concrete and dust from the new developments appearing everywhere. Works great with 35 deg outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP is discounting large swathes of areas based on some numbers from people who have looked at some google results. To put it bluntly they lack the nuance of being able to pick out a decent spot in somewhere like Edenmore IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The Clongriffin/Balgriffin/Belmayne/Baldoyle area is grand. Main issue is that there's not a lot of shops/cafes in the immediate area but its so close to Howth, Malahide, Clontarf that its not really a problem. Fr. Collins park is great as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 cluelessbuyer9

Sheeps wrote: »
    Malahide: 9
    Clongriffin: 1
    Beaumont: 2
    Santry: 3
    Poppintree: 1
    Blanchardstown: 1
    Ballyfermot: 1
    Walkinston: 6
    Clondalkin: 1
    Tallaght: 1
    Citywest/Saggart: 1
    Ballycullen: 5

Agree with most of it but would swap Beaumont score with Lucan, Lucan is a terrible area imo. Very far from the city centre due to traffic, poorly designed, all the new housing around Adamstown has high % social housing. Big issues lie ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

....n has high % social housing. Big issues lie ahead.

Big issues lie ahead for most area's for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Naos wrote: »
    We know what the OP is asking.

Would you feel more comfortable, less comfortable or indifferent with your granny walking alone through Malahide vs Tallaght?

Tallaght village? My mam in her 70s regularly walks through it unscathed for over 40 odd years.

Not familiar with Malahide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

There are a few okay areas in Dublin but you are never more then a stone throw away from a rough area. I think if you don't mind a small commute or better again you can work from home then you should consider living around Rathcoole or in to Kildare. You will get a far better house for your money too. I'm working on a housing estate where houses are going for around the €400000 and there no way worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement