Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bad areas of Dublin for buying a house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You don't need to check every street go to myhome.ie daft.ie search houses under 360k dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 cluelessbuyer9

riclad wrote: »
    You don't need to check every street go to myhome.ie daft.ie search houses under 360k dublin

All are in pretty much undesirable locations.

OP you should try Malahide and if that fails Beaumount. Avoid Lucan like the plague and if you most settle with Clondalkin or Tallaght attempt to get somewhere in an old estate near the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

All are in pretty much undesirable locations.

OP you should try Malahide and if that fails Beaumount. Avoid Lucan like the plague and if you most settle with Clondalkin or Tallaght attempt to get somewhere in an old estate near the village.

Would agree with avoiding Lucan, although a somewhat controversial opinion an older house near Tallaght or Clondalkin village may be a better bet in the long run with the huge high density developments going in to Lucan. For years the 80s social housing built on the edges of Clondalkin and Tallaght coloured peoples views of it but you wouldn't be living in the middle of it by choice like Lucan.

All are in pretty much undesirable locations..
    Undesireable to you, maybe.

Thousands upon thousands of nice people living nice lives, in nice houses in nice estates that you'd turn your nose up at just because they're not expensive enough!

Name suits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 cluelessbuyer9

Thousands upon thousands of nice people living nice lives, in nice houses in nice estates that you'd turn your nose up at just because they're not expensive enough!

Name suits.

All through no choice of their own. Give them a choice and they'd pick a different place to live in a heartbeat.

Human beings are amazing at complicating their lives and then rationalizing why they did it.

• Advertisement

All through no choice of their own. Give them a choice and they'd pick a different place to live in a heartbeat.

Thats a very big assumption to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Human beings are amazing at complicating their lives and then rationalizing why they did it.

If I'm honest, if I had a massive amount more money I'd probably move to the next estate over, but we're talking if I had like a million or more. If I had any less than that with the information I have now I'd still have bought the house I did which is on an ex corpo estate in the 'Barrystown' area.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

This was the area that I considered the best in the price range - Malahide with Belmayne, close to a main road, not too deserted, around 3000 eur/sqm. However they've completed around 500 council apartments just in the right of the image and also on Malahide on the other side of Fingal cemetery. How do you think this will affect the area in the following years?

https://goo.gl/maps/gbaFsaoFLiCXAW7J7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If I'm honest, if I had a massive amount more money I'd probably move to the next estate over, but we're talking if I had like a million or more. If I had any less than that with the information I have now I'd still have bought the house I did which is on an ex corpo estate in the 'Barrystown' area.

And if you had €10 million you'd want to live somewhere else.

I have friends living in €850,000 houses that's plagued with anti-social behaviour from private school yobbos. They can't be touched, on her small road parents of a 17 year old have threatened to sue her for defamation because she mentioned their son whose a suspected sex offender and a well known drug user and drug pusher.

I've friends in Drimnagh who paid €250,000 3 years ago and it's a little paradise where they live.

I know houses in Roscommon for less than €100,000 that would be my own version of paradise, but there's no work there.

It's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

KevRossi wrote: »
    And if you had €10 million you'd want to live somewhere else.

I have friends living in €850,000 houses that's plagued with anti-social behaviour from private school yobbos. They can't be touched, on her small road parents of a 17 year old have threatened to sue her for defamation because she mentioned their son whose a suspected sex offender and a well known drug user and drug pusher.

I've friends in Drimnagh who paid €250,000 3 years ago and it's a little paradise where they live.

I know houses in Roscommon for less than €100,000 that would be my own version of paradise, but there's no work there.

It's all relative.

10 million and I would be living in the South of France drinking wine by my pool. Feck it I'd do that for a paltry 2 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnaED

OP, has been said already here and no doubt you know this but Belmayne is very definitely not Malahide. Belmayne is located off the Malahide Road and is right next to Clongriffin & Darndale but is not in Malahide and is @8kms from Malahide village.
    If looking to be close to Malahide on your budget maybe try Holywell or Waterside, both new(ish) estates but closer than Belmayne. Or Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

Cristianc wrote: »
    This was the area that I considered the best in the price range - Malahide with Belmayne, close to a main road, not too deserted, around 3000 eur/sqm. However they've completed around 500 council apartments just in the right of the image and also on Malahide on the other side of Fingal cemetery. How do you think this will affect the area in the following years?

https://goo.gl/maps/gbaFsaoFLiCXAW7J7

Eh I hate to break it to you but this is not Malahide.

It's beside Darndale one of the most disadvantaged areas in the whole of Dublin.

Try Kinsealy or Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

AnnaED wrote: »
    OP, has been said already here and no doubt you know this but Belmayne is very definitely not Malahide. Belmayne is located off the Malahide Road and is right next to Clongriffin & Darndale but is not in Malahide and is @8kms from Malahide village.
    If looking to be close to Malahide on your budget maybe try Holywell or Waterside, both new(ish) estates but closer than Belmayne. Or Swords.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-13-holywell-dale-feltrim-road-swords-co-dublin/3287255
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Beaumont , santry are both quiet areas not too far eg om city centre
    Beaumont slightly better than santry.
    Drumcondra is good but traffic is heavy.
    Don't buy close to pubs or nightclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Name suits.

To be fair, buying a home is very much a compromise between location, size, and the quality of building itself to fit a certain budget.

And with the exception of Malahide, the areas the OP mentioned wouldn't quite be on the higher end of the location scale when it comes to that compromise (and yes sure, those are very broad areas and you can probably find smaller sub-areas which are somewhat exceptions within some of them).

Not saying those areas are bad and all (and even less so that there aren't many "nice people" living there), but if we can agree that overall the property market is a voting machine which sets a price based on aggregate desirability (because buyers are willing to pay more for what they like better), objectively prices in those areas don't quite put them on the top-end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Not "All" we have children who have a circle of friends living in and around the estate. If we moved they'd be devastated, so even if we were to win the lotto or suddenly become rich we wouldn't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Please help me with good options to buy a 3 bed house or 2 Bed apartment in Dublin. 350 -380K. PLEASE

Not "All" we have children who have a circle of friends living in and around the estate. If we moved they'd be devastated, so even if we were to win the lotto or suddenly become rich we wouldn't move.

A family on my road did actually win the lotto, and they're still here, so you're not the only one!

No doubt there are people who buy "starter homes" with a view to trading up in a few years (and there is nothing wrong with that!) but there are those who even when they could afford a much bigger house in another area (I'm not going to say more desireable because in my view that is subjective) but instead, they put their money into improvements, or extensions, attic conversions etc.... money they'll never regain in value if they were to sell, but they do it because they like where they live.

Houses mean more to some people than just the postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah fully agree. I know someone pretty senior in my office, probably has enough money to buy a house somewhere like Blackrock or Sandymount, but he lives in Tallaght. He's from Tallaght, that's his home, and presumably he has a community he likes there.

Certain places in Dublin might be broadly considered more or less "desirable" but that doesn't mean that the level of desirability applies equally to everyone.

A family on my road did actually win the lotto, and they're still here, so you're not the only one!

No doubt there are people who buy "starter homes" with a view to trading up in a few years (and there is nothing wrong with that!) but there are those who even when they could afford a much bigger house in another area (I'm not going to say more desireable because in my view that is subjective) but instead, they put their money into improvements, or extensions, attic conversions etc.... money they'll never regain in value if they were to sell, but they do it because they like where they live.

Houses mean more to some people than just the postcode.

If the place is safe, no need to move.

The op is looking for safe though - that’s what he means by civilised.

• Advertisement

fvp4 wrote: »
    If the place is safe, no need to move.

The op is looking for safe though - that’s what he mean by civilised.

No area of Dublin is immune to crime. If he is looking for somewhere crime free he is not going to find it.

Paying over whatever the benchmark is here for a house is not going to guarantee you a crime free area with no existance of social issues, no teenagers and no anti-social behaviour.

Out of curiosity, how bad would the area be for this house (https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-24-gateway-crescent-ballymun-dublin-9/3223504) and what kind of next door neighbors do you think it has? It is one of the cheapest houses I've seen, place looks vandalised. Neighbors probably similar to those that lived here?

Also, this is quite cheap https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-1-brook-house-richmond-road-fairview-dublin-3/2608226 but why? Because the area is industrial? It seems to be closer to the center and close to Fairview park.

what kind of next door neighbors do you think it has?

People can make assumptions, but nobody really finds out what their neighbours are like until they move in.

You take that risk no matter where you buy.

(Look at the example of the €850k house and €250k house in earlier post).

(eta) I have to say, there is something quite troll like about that last post. We all know you're not interested in buying these houses.

I would consider the first one if it wasn't in a renouned bad area like Ballymun. House could be renovated but not sure about the area and the neighbors and their houses. However the 2nd one seems to be decent to me. Still, don't know about the area except what I can see on Streetview.

There's a fine balance here and to be honest, between a bad house in a good area and a good house in a not so good area I'd go for the good house. As long as the neighboring houses don't look depressed. Example of a house I find nice: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-56-aran-court-waterville-blanchardstown-dublin-15/3276457

If your max budget is €400k then start looking at houses €350k and under and go from there. (To allow for bidding room, as all houses go for more then asking at the moment).

The only people who should give you advice on what an area is like, is those who have lived there or are currently living there, so take all other people's assumptions (or ranks) with a pinch of salt.

Good luck in your search. I'm out.

No area of Dublin is immune to crime. If he is looking for somewhere crime free he is not going to find it.

Paying over whatever the benchmark is here for a house is not going to guarantee you a crime free area with no existance of social issues, no teenagers and no anti-social behaviour.

I bet there are parts of Dublin largely free from crime. And even if crime is universal some places can still be better or worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hells Belles

I've looked in South Dublin for apartments with 3 beds and 2 bathrooms under 400K for you. This one stands out in Killiney. It's a fantastic area. Apartment would need modernising and the BER cert is not what you're looking for but worth considering. There are other options in Cherrywood and Druids Valley Cabinteely:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-48-killiney-towers-killiney-co-dublin/3280505

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Out of curiosity, how bad would the area be for this house (https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-24-gateway-crescent-ballymun-dublin-9/3223504) and what kind of next door neighbors do you think it has? It is one of the cheapest houses I've seen, place looks vandalised. Neighbors probably similar to those that lived here?

Also, this is quite cheap https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-1-brook-house-richmond-road-fairview-dublin-3/2608226 but why? Because the area is industrial? It seems to be closer to the center and close to Fairview park.

The street the house is on in Ballymun is borderline. Anti-social behaviour is rampant in that area, no idea how bad it is on that part of that specific street. Only advantage it has is that it's very close to the main street and the Garda station, so should be OK to walk there from the bus. It can be cleaned very easily, but I'd like to know what caused the wallpaper to go so bad, possible dampness? Neighbours are a lottery, can be excellent, can be torture, can be somewhere inbetween. It's a cheap 3-bed for a reason.

The apartment in Richmond Rd. isn't too bad. I used to live on Clonliffe until a couple of years ago and they were always decent apartments. Richmond Rd. is very busy though. For €300K for a 2-bed apartment you have a lot more options though.

fvp4 wrote: »
    And even if crime is universal some places can still be better or worse than others.

Some places are nowhere near as bad as their reputations, and others are not as good.

I just think its really unfair that the OP (and others like him) are being steered away from areas where they could find a nice home in the price bracket they can afford, based on others perceived opinions of an area.

Now I really am out.

(OP, that last house you posted to is nice.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I would consider the first one if it wasn't in a renouned bad area like Ballymun. House could be renovated but not sure about the area and the neighbors and their houses. However the 2nd one seems to be decent to me. Still, don't know about the area except what I can see on Streetview.

There's a fine balance here and to be honest, between a bad house in a good area and a good house in a not so good area I'd go for the good house. As long as the neighboring houses don't look depressed. Example of a house I find nice: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-56-aran-court-waterville-blanchardstown-dublin-15/3276457

Ballymun is a no go if you want your peace and quiet. Especially as a foreigner you stick out like sore thumb. I know a few people who grew up there but couldn't wait to get out of this place. It's not looking as bad as it was 15-20 years ago (the buildings were similar to those eyesore apartment blocks in Eastern European countries from the communist era).

Waterville in Blanch is grand though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement