Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this white hairy stuff on two apple trees?

Options
  • 27-06-2021 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Can anyone help me identify it, and should I do anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Pictured attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Possibly Apple woolly aphid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/identifier.shtml?apple_woolly_aphid

if you encourage insect predators they should deal with the problem for you once the weather warms up - if not, washing them off with soapy water should work - the link gives more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I got that on a few trees, hard to get rid of.
    But noticed it was more on sheltered trees

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

I think that is it. It is more prevalent around previous pruning sites or damaged parts of the bark.

Seems I need to get some ladybirds!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Yeah woolly aphid. We have it on our trees. They are somewhat shaded. No fruit last year. Usually good fruit. Been there since we got the place. Looks like there will be good fruit this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Pain in the hoop they are. I'm no gardener but I like the inherited apple trees. Last year you'd have seen me out in the garden a few times a week with the fairly liquid mix spray. Not so bad this year mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

maybe hang a blue tit nest box on your tree for next spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

slipperyox wrote: »
    maybe hang a blue tit nest box on your tree for next spring

It works a treat
    Just don't have to much food in the feeder or they get lazy :)

Advertisement