Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer Recommendations

Options
  • 27-06-2021 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend me a printer? I'm not sure if I should go for ink jet or colour? I don't print that often, sometimes I need to print documents, or plane tickets etc. It needs to ideally work with both a mac and windows.

I want something that just works when I go to use it and doesn't have connectivity issues, or low ink levels the odd time I use it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

I recommend you HP LaserJet Pro M281fdw All-In-One Wireless Laser Color Printer (T6B82A)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

What's your budget op?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭antimatterx

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    What's your budget op?

Maybe 150 max. I don't print often. A few times a year. I just need something that will work. Ideally with a photocopying feature.

Brackwom wrote: »
    I recommend you HP LaserJet Pro M281fdw All-In-One Wireless Laser Color Printer (T6B82A)

Looks good, but a bit expenses I think for a few uses a year.

Would this be a good laser printer? Looks like it has a scanner also. I won't if it comes with toner.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-LaserJet-Multi-Function-Printer-White/dp/B079Z44517?th=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

OP, I bought this printer and I think it is well within your budget:

laserjet pro mfp m148dw

It's great because it's really fast and has a great document feeder for the scanner meaning you can scan documents extremely quickly because the pages to scan feed themselves in. Toners are also cheap and last way longer and no need to worry about the inks drying out. Also the app is great, you can scan, copy, print everything from your phone. It works really well.

The only drawback, well, is of course it's hard to get a laserjet printer which prints colour for this price. But it's something I can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok are printers still like hens teeth

Have an old Canon Pixma IP4000 which I cant install on laptop as drivers not working on Windows 10. Also even older HP Photosmart

Looking at upgrading for not heavy printing but decent so possible laser

Anything out there below a budget of €200

Cheers

get a mono laser printer

find one that's available at a good price currently (still high demand due to work-from-home) and ideally (even if you don't print much) that has third-party cheap toner cartridges available at a price a lot cheaper than the official ones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a Canon PIXMA A4 printer scanner copier that only cost something like 55 quid and it was excellent.

Wireless sitting in another room and never failed to connect to laptop.

Paper feed was good, ink expensive enough but trouble free. Certainly plenty good for the occasional print. I ran a business with it for a couple of years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much printing ? How much in colour ?

If you are doing a lot of colour printing and speed isn't an issue look at something like

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/printing/printers-and-multifunctions/epson-ecotank-et-2711-multifunction-inkjet-printer-black.html

• Print up to 4,500 pages in black / Print up to 7,500 pages in colour

Tank inkjets are slower than cartridge ones but way cheaper to run as the ink costs €15 per bottle, or €5 if you go OEM https://ink.ie/collections/epson-ecotank-et-2711-ink-cartridges

If you are mostly doing B&W get a Brother or Samsung laser printer (until HP block 3rd party chips) 25-30 pages per minute and toner is ~£15 on Amazon etc.

• Advertisement

Not much printing but want option of colour printing of pictures

Not using it for work

Something that will last and not expensive to run

Any other recommendations either online or bricks and mortar

Tried to add Canon Pixma iP4000 to laptop but keeps coming back saying its not compatible

Desktop is out for repair so not sure if it worked with that think it was temperamental

Still looking if anyone has any suggestions pref laser. Would like to print some odd photos not much mainly going to be return labels, boarding passes etc and odd doc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm not sure about how it works with photos but recently bought an Epson ET-2711. It's an Eco Tank so you pour the ink into the printer. So far it's been great. WiFi printing works well and the Epson printer driver for Android allows easy printing from my phone. Have printed about 200 pages over the last two weeks and all good. You don't have the issue of cartridges drying out. Has scanner, copier as well but probably a bit outside your budget OP

Just browsing through Amazon trying to decide what to get

A lot still out of stock

Like to get Laser so no drying out of ink etc

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

We have an Epson Ecotank. I find it great. We don't use it every day - but we do use it for printing work stuff and other non work stuff. It is very easy to use, very economical and we are very happy with the quality.

Ok still on the look out as went to print out some boarding passes and its like waking up with a Hangover...All Blurry

I want to avoid the inkjet as we wont be using it that much and dont want the ink to dry up or is that a general Assumption to make

Epson Ecotank does look good but do the ink bottles dry up or do you have to store them away and wont dry up

Wont be printing much but want the option if continue to WFH but not on large scale also print some family pics odd one or 2 any others will do online

The bottles don't dry out. The ones that came with the printer are practically all used up to fill the printer anyway.

Cheers just reading up on this sees that Epson Ecotank is the best option

So the tanks should be full up on purchase of printer and then just add more as they get low. Do they need to be Epson Ink or any compatibles that might save in price?

Yeah, the printer comes with the bottles and you fill the printer with them.

I haven't needed refills but from what I've seen you can refill the bottles with other ink rather than Epson specific

• Advertisement
Advertisement