Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdF 2021 - Stage 3 - Lorient-Pointivy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah, don't be so quick to pull the rug out from under it. If pro cycling has taught us anything it's that the script often goes out the window!

Let's at least see what Schelling the Jester has planned for us! :)

Look what you've gone and done now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Those roads are not suitable for a bunch of 180 fresh riders. Back to boring motorways for flat stages next year.

Disastrous stuff all round. I can see the riders on a go slow tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great pull from VDP there at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

2 in 2 days for Alpecin Fenix is pretty amazing btw

And 1,2 with Merlier & Philipsen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Shut the front door, I'm shaking after watching that. Cancelled my training spin tonight and am now going to hide under the duvet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this is carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

To be fair I don’t think it’s the course that caused any of those crashes today (with the exception of the 2nd last one). Seemed to be riders making mistakes and clipping wheels. Granted if the roads were bigger there would be greater room to maneuver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

Absolute carnage there. A lot of riders looked in bad enough shape most especially Ewan and the Bahrain rider who came down in the last crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Was Sagan shouldering Ewan? They only showed it briefly from overhead

Seven Worlds will Collide

To be fair I don’t think it’s the course that caused any of those crashes today (with the exception of the 2nd last one). Seemed to be riders making mistakes and clipping wheels. Granted if the roads were bigger there would be greater room to maneuver

Roglic and Thomas have issues with concentration and/or bike handling within the bunch for sure.

• Advertisement

Was Sagan shouldering Ewan? They only showed it briefly from overhead

Would be very common to gain position in a bunch sprint. Ewan clipped the whee ahead of him to bring him down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The non-fan crash on stage 1 was on a big wide open road. They just fill the space regardless, so I personally think blaming the roads is wrong. I didn't see the Thomas crash, but all the ones in the final there looked like individual rider error to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The non-fan crash on stage 1 was on a big wide open road. They just fill the space regardless, so I personally think blaming the roads is wrong. I didn't see the Thomas crash, but all the ones in the final there looked like individual rider error to me.

thomas was probably the most rider error of any of them.

I take your point, but I still think the funnelling effect of the narrow roads makes it sketchier and leads to more crashes, as per today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Carapaz the wily fox negotiates it better than any of the other GC guys, up to 3rd now ahead of Pog & Rog.

mossym wrote: »
    thomas was probably the most rider error of any of them.
    Rog the new "G" in that regard. But the main point is that all that happens on the big wide roads is that you have multiple teams drilling it, and it's just as dangerous (as we saw on stage 1).

If anything, what's lacking is a strong sprint train and/ or skineos taking control and stretching things out.

As expected Cav nowhere to be seen at the pointy end of a sprint stage.

Really hope Ewan is ok. Was looking like a juicy drag race between himself and Segan for the win there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Jack Haig abandoned. Fingers crossed for Ewan now.

I personally think blaming the roads is wrong.

The start of the Tour is known for being really jittery and the time when crashes are most likely. I remember reading Nico Roche's diaries year after year where he commented on the nerves in the bunch for the opening days.

In the case of today, there was a 1.5km long downhill to the 3km point on reasonably narrow roads on day 3 of the race when you know that crashes are more likely.

We can look at individual mistakes too but to ignore some of the other factors would be a mistake in my opinion.

The section from 5.5 km to 2.5km to the finish will be fun. Not very wide (5-6m in parts), a few twists & turns and around 4-5% downhill. Add in a little rain and DQS & Lotto driving it on. I'd be amazed if there isn't another bunch crash.

Someone called it right this morning! Declerq basically said the same thing just now that this morning they were nervous about the finish given the number of people that would be fighting for position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1409513829671788547

Morkov was cruising across the line while the rest of them were going hell for leather. If he kept pedalling he would have won that sprint

Should Cavendish be leading out Morkov?

I didn't see that this said intermediate sprint and assumed it was the final one and didn't bother watching

But if it's not narrow roads, it's traffic calming/ road furniture (as we've also seen in other Tours and races). I think it's unavoidable - it's the riders decide to take the risks. I'm not saying the organisers don't have responsibility - I just don't think it's a single issue.

Van Aert in yellow after the TT.

De Gendt saying Ewan's collarbone broken :(

Really opens things up for the sprinters.

Collarbone for Ewan.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Someone called it right this morning! Declerq basically said the same thing just now that this morning they were nervous about the finish given the number of people that would be fighting for position.

There really is an argument to make that the GC times should be taken 3km from the end of an expected sprint finish. At least then you won't have the GC teams fighting for position and adding to the carnage.

There really is an argument to make that the GC times should be taken 3km from the end of an expected sprint finish. At least then you won't have the GC teams fighting for position and adding to the carnage.

As DeGendt said in his interview there, although it might help, all the big crashes happened more than 3K out and there were only a handful of sprinters there when Ewan crashed so that would not have had any effect on what happened today.

From the overhead he looked to have clipped Merlier's wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

As expected Cav nowhere to be seen at the pointy end of a sprint stage.

ah that's harsh considering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

What happens if you have a breakaway that they are all trying to catch, or if one of the GC guys breaks away? Or you have a crash 4km from the finish? Surely that in itself would become tactical and it just moves the carnage further out the road?

Advertisement