Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topping up Pension

• 28-06-2021 9:42am

I have a pension in work through Irish Life. Currently put in 10% and employer matches up to 5%.

I can put in up to 15% for tax relief. Can I make a payment to "top up" my contributions for the year 2020 to get the tax relief? If so, how would one go about doing it?

Comments

Broadly yes - this would be called an AVC - Additional Voluntary Contribution.

Does your employer engage a pensions adviser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

I'd start with calling Irish life.

• Broadly yes - this would be called an AVC - Additional Voluntary Contribution.

Does your employer engage a pensions adviser?

Cheers, emailed the pensions adviser and it's all sorted now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bojill wrote: »
    I'd start with calling Irish life.

Not a good idea imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Not a good idea imho.

Well that's what I did last year when I needed to do a change.
    Very simple and straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bojill wrote: »
    Well that's what I did last year when I needed to do a change.
    Very simple and straightforward.

What if Irish Life weren't the best choice (could be for a variety of reasons)?

• Just to close the loop, emailed pension advisor, they responded with max amount I could transfer and bank account. Made the transfer yesterday and claimed the tax back directly from Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

How do you go about claiming the tax back? I'm looking to make manual contributions to my existing PRSA.

Nate

• I did it as part of my Form 11 return

Advertisement