Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Adblue €10

• 28-06-2021 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

If you have a diesel Aldi selling Adblue for €10 for 10Lhttps://www.aldi.ie/carlube-adblue-10l/p/714494494185200 Got the car serviced recently and dealer wanted €41 to top up the Adblue despite the fact I'd done it myself the week before!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

This might be a stupid question but how do you know if your car needs an adblue top up? I presume when it gets critically low you get a warning light but iv no idea if my own car needs a top up or not. Its been almost 12 months since my last service.

EDIT: Actually ill just go read the manual of the car :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Hogzy wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but how do you know if your car needs an adblue top up? I presume when it gets critically low you get a warning light but iv no idea if my own car needs a top up or not. Its been almost 12 months since my last service.

I get a warning - something like Adblue needed within the next 2400km and the warning distances decreases as you drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hogzy wrote: »

In VAG cars if you scroll through the menu using the steering wheel controls it will show you km's remaining and also minimum and maximum amount of litres required in the Adblue tank. Never exceed the maximum required as it can mess up the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭chases0102

Curiously, my Peugeot just highlighted a Urea warning light, something about emissions - would this do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

chases0102 wrote: »
    Curiously, my Peugeot just highlighted a Urea warning light, something about emissions - would this do?

That is the ad blue warning light. If you do not top it up before 5k passes of the warning light coming on, the engine will not start. I have a Peugeot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers, thanks for that. Perhaps this AdBlue from Aldi will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Some filling stations have AdBlue on pump now and it's way cheaper and much more convenient than buying it in a container.
    I got my 15L for less than 10 Euro in the Circle K in Ballymahon, Longford.

There is a thread here about it, (but it's a bit old): https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057859184&page=2

Worth checking you local filling stations for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've also Peugeot Expert, I've found from experience (and then subsequently talking to my mechanic and dealership) that there's a minimum top up in one go to turn off the warning. It's not the same as oil, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Check your manual or with a dealer but IIRC if you are flagging for urea then ad blue isn't going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Note that not all diesel engines need this.

The latest Euro VI emissions regulations from the European Commission has really driven an explosion in SCR technology from the passenger car perspective in Europe. The Euro VI regs introduced in 2014/15 demanded nitrogen oxides emissions should be reduced by a whopping 56% compared to Euro V levels. For most diesel engines over 1.6L in capacity, AdBlue® and SCR technology has been the only means to achieve this. So most new diesel engines over that size will feature an AdBlue® tank from now on.

https://www.everbluesolution.com/blog/which-vehicles-use-adblue-and-scr-technology_b6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

snakeoil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

fryup wrote: »
    snakeoil

snake pee

Notch000 wrote: »
    snake pee

Pig pee.

60c a litre from the pump here locally, so much handier than using containers with cheapo plastic lids that inevitably drip the stuff on to your shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭in2dark

Where is that? I have not seen it available at the pump in any of the dublin petrol stations I go. They all sell the 10lt container

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In older cars with adblue, the filler cap is in awkward places such as inside the boot so check where it is before you try filling it up yourself as it may be awkward and hence easier to get the garage to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you be careful with adblue on paintwork as it can damage it easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

49 cent a litre at Certa (Tesco) stations.

In Enniscorthy, there are two sellers selling from the pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Wow. It was 89 cent only a few weeks ago. Why do I feel like it’s price gouging rather than genuine increase in production costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ad blue is made from urea which is a fertiliser. Unless you have been living in a cave, it is obvious why prices have rocketed.

is it any better than dipetane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ya I even mixed it with my petrol for the NTC and it helped with the missons and was easier on it too.

Great bargain at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Dipetane is a fuel additive and goes in your fuel tank, if you put adblue in the fuel tank, you will be walking.

so where do you put it? forgive my ignorance but is this for certain cars?

so i take it the adblue tank is an after market tank installed by a mechanic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No - either your car requires AdBlue and has a tank, or it doesn't.

if you get your car serviced every year, and you're not doing high mileage, you probably never need to top it up yourself. But the car will warn you if you do need a topup.

jaypers! you learn something new everyday as they say, never heard of that before - would this be old or new cars? petrol or diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Advertisement