Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat recording

• 28-06-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi, hoping someone can help me. We have a satellite dish for Freesat and use Saorview for Irish channels. We have an LG TV. I can record and pause with the TV (previously had a Sony which seemed to block a lot).
    I'm wondering what I need to do in order to be able to use series link and also to be able to record one channel and watch another. Finding it all a bit of a minefield and don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Provide make and model number of your devices as a first step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Also confirm your requirements re recording Irish channels and willingness to experiment with technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

The TV is LG 49NAN081. We've no box with the Freesat, just the dish. We are techie so happy to experiment. I'd like to be able to record one channel and watch another at a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If a single tv it will have a single tuner, there may be some rare cases when recording channels that are on the same transponder that you can record and watch at the same time but this will be limited to groupings of about 7 or 8 channels. You will likely also need a 2nd feed to the dish for each additional box you want to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I would suggest you buy one of the Linux boxes with a disk drive such as the Zgemma h7, it will let you record Irish and UK channels, it won't have quite as elaborate a "series link" as you might have on a Freesat branded box, in that it's not fully automatic , but will be cheaper and will have better functionality for Saorview recording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PinkChick wrote: »
    The TV is LG 49NAN081. We've no box with the Freesat, just the dish. We are techie so happy to experiment. I'd like to be able to record one channel and watch another at a minimum.

Then I also suggest a Free To Air 'combi' box rather than a Freesat box which would have no terrestrial tuner for Saorview.

The Zgemma H7S is one such box.
    I suggest you read fully the main thread about this box so you know what is involved.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971250

You will probably need to use your 'techie' skills to get the best out of it.

There are other such boxes available but this one is the current favourite here.

Advertisement