Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer controlled Telescope

Options
  • 28-06-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi

I would like to start a mini astronomy club in my town.
    We are all amateurs. Can anyone recommend a computer/smartphone controlled telescope?

We would like to be able to take photos and see the planets.

Budget is less than €1000

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

id recon what you need first is a computer or smartphone controlled telescope mount.check out astrobiscut on youtube.hes a wealth of knowledge for good results on a budget

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

For under 1000, you're not going to get much of a telescope with a computerized GOTO mount. That is, it would automatically go to a specified object and track it. You'll find them, but when all of the money is invested in the mount - the optics will be lacking when you're on a budget.

A good balance might be one of Orion's intelliscopes like the XT10i. It's a 10 inch dobsonian with a "push-to" computer tracker. Basically, you type in the ID for the object you want to view and the computer will guide you where to nudge your scope to to view it. You'll need to manually nudge it, but at least you'll know exactly where to nudge to.

10" is plenty of aperture when starting out and should provide some good views of planetary and deep sky objects. You'd pick it up online for €1100 brand new. You'll also learn the sky better and learn some basic star hopping theory to find objects. You won't be able to do any serious astrophotography with this type of system though, so keep that in mind. So if astrophotography is a must, give this a pass.

If you want a GOTO mount, then you'll either need to get lucky on a second hand one on adverts or donedeal, but it's doubtful you'll find one with any sort of decent aperture. Maybe if you bump it up to 1500, you'll get a decent 2nd hand scope with a GOTO mount. But it's really hit and miss.

Also if you're getting into astrophotography, it can get fairly expensive quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Something like this might be an option - visuals won't be amazing, but it will track: https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-maksutov-telescope-mc-127-1500-skymax-127-az-gti-goto-wifi/p,55179 or https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-maksutov-telescope-mc-127-1500-skymax-127-eq3-2/p,14980

If you don't need a computized system, then this would be great bang for your buck: https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-dobson-telescope-n-254-1200-skyliner-flextube-bd-dob/p,14975 (You won't be able to do photography however).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

leblanc wrote: »
    Hi

I would like to start a mini astronomy club in my town.
    We are all amateurs. Can anyone recommend a computer/smartphone controlled telescope?

We would like to be able to take photos and see the planets.

Budget is less than €1000

Thanks

Why don’t you invite some of the existing amateur astronomy clubs to your locality for a Sidewalk Astronomy evening?
    You’ll be able to see scopes in action and listen to the recommendations of the club members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

If you want something that will really track the sky for observation a semi decent Equatorial mount with goto capabilities would be good.

Some of the cheaper AZ mounts are quite good aswell and shouldn't be discarded when thinking of what to buy.

Watch out for some of the EQ mounts on sale and definitely do a bit of online research prior to purchasing as some of them suffer greatly from excessive shaking , which through a telescope is very annoying.

Also look at the 2nd hand market, lots of people took up astronomy during lockdown but now aren't that much into it anymore.

I got into astrophotography recently and ended up having to by a goto Equatorial mount that really doesn't move at all, no shaking or the image capture would be ruined, Ive also added a guide camera to increase tracking capabilities to get longer exposures.

Sorry about the sideways photo but not sure why it uploaded like that.

Best of luck setting up your local club, when i get better at my imaging I might get in contact with you and if you're having a meet up some night Id love to set up and try get a decent image for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement