Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 running next to power cables

• 28-06-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just building a house and I have run Cat6 UTP (not 6A) more or less everywhere and I am just worried after doing a bit of reading up that in theory you shouldn't be running Ethernet cables next to power cables. Problem is as you know sometimes its not possible to do this in a house build due to pinch points and there are locations where the power and Cat6 are run together, sometimes this could be 4 or 5 meters.

Will this be a problem??? In reality I have read that this is only if the power is feeding large motors or heavy load equipment but it has me somewhat worried and pissed off that I dint make the builder try and segregate as best of possible.

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

2 compartment trunking is designed to do this job with a degree of separation

If they're very close I think it comes down to how far

Other factor then is the current draw on the mains wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's usually not nearly as bad as you'll think it will be, especially if your total run length is only like 30m. If you have large spans with long stretches beside mains voltage then split them with a midpoint switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

ED E wrote: »
    It's usually not nearly as bad as you'll think it will be, especially if your total run length is only like 30m. If you have large spans with long stretches beside mains voltage then split them with a midpoint switch.

That's what I am hoping.. my longest run should be about 20 meters.

I think I am more pissed off I didn't spot it until now and they have it all covered up. Also if I want to move to 10gig in a few years this obviously will be more sensitive.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    That's what I am hoping.. my longest run should be about 20 meters.

I think I am more pissed off I didn't spot it until now and they have it all covered up. Also if I want to move to 10gig in a few years this obviously will be more sensitive.

It has no effect on mine that I notice, and I used Cat5e.
    Still able to get ~1 Gb/s on the LAN.

I reckon by the time I might want 10 Gb/s (if still alive :D) the move to optical fibre will be the way to go.

Advertisement