Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New modem advice needed

• 28-06-2021 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've got Vodafone VDSL broadband and VOIP through their HG659 via copper phone line. I've got 50-60 devices in the house. I've got over the WiFi connection issues by disabling the HG659 WiFi
    and installing 3 x ubiquiti APs. Is there a better, more up to date modem/router that I can buy and use instead? It must be able to work with the home phone (Vodafone VOIP)

All the best,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why do you need to change it?

Check out the Fritz!Box range but first ensure you can get the registration details from Vodafone for the VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Why do you need to change it?

Check out the Fritz!Box range but first ensure you can get the registration details from Vodafone for the VOIP.

I had an eir f2000 and when I switched to Vodafone and their HG659, I noticed that my TP-LINK Kasa smart plugs were not as reliable as they were when I had eir broadband. Interaction between Alexa and the smart plugs unreliable. I first noticed the problems when I changed from eir to Vodafone. Everything else is fine, except for the HG659 only displays 32 connected devices. A bit of a pain if your trying to set a static ip for a device and it's not showing up in the HG659 UI.

The FritZBoxes can also include a DECT base station which could be helpful.

I am very happy with mine and it receives regular updates.
    They are not cheap ;)

I see there are 46 devices listed in my Fritz ...... most are disconnected of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

_John C wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've got Vodafone VDSL broadband and VOIP through their HG659 via copper phone line. I've got 50-60 devices in the house. I've got over the WiFi connection issues by disabling the HG659 WiFi
    and installing 3 x ubiquiti APs. Is there a better, more up to date modem/router that I can buy and use instead? It must be able to work with the home phone (Vodafone VOIP)

All the best,
    John

Thats going to be your problem. There are routers with the ability to support VOIP available but Vodafone more than likely wont give you the SIP login credentials to set it up on one.

What's Eirs modem like these days? I'm out of the Vodafone contract in August. I might just switch.

• Advertisement

Just phoned Vodafone and got these details. If I got a Fritz Box, do I have enough details here ?

Username : mymodemserial@vfieftth.ie
    Password : broadband
    VLAN : 10

VOIP

Landline number : +353Mylandlinenumber
    username : +353Mylandlinenumber@ims.vodafone.ie

password : ************

The Voip password is a mix of letters, numbers & symbols

I've been looking at this one

https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B07HNRTZY6/

It mentions "interfaccia in italiano". But I assume that it's easily changed to English.

:)
    Thanks

To ensure the VOIP details will work in other devices I would be inclined to test in a VOIP application such as Linphone http://linphone.org/

I have never had VDSL so cannot comment on that part.

You also have the option of separating the broadband and the phone service using two different providers (if not in contract for phone).

You can port the phone number to a service such as Goldfish, Irishvoip etc. so that the number is always in your control regardless the broadband provider used.

@_John C Did the login details they gave you end up working for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

Sorry for reviving an old thread but did the Vodafone SIP settings work in a different router?

I never did manage to get it. Like the OP I managed to find a rep who gave me a username and password that was supposedly for SIP. When I asked for server addresses etc they said they don't support 3rd party devices so I had no way to actually use the login details and validate. I tried a few variations of server addresses on spec like voip.vodafone.ie and ims.vodafone.ie but no joy.

Post edited by dam099 on

• Advertisement

I never got to try because I just switched to Eir. All the Tp-link smart plug / Alexa problems vanished once I installed the Eir modem. I hope Eir will renew my contract for a decent price when the time comes as I'd be a bit reluctant to go back to Vodafone considering the issues I had. Or maybe the issues were caused by the Vodafone HG659. Maybe a more upto date Vodafone modem wouldn't have these issues 🤔

At the moment I'm happy with the Eir broadband service and modem with my own WiFi setup 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you have already 3 unifi APs why dont you get the Unifi Dream Machine (or UDM pro)...and you will get way better control and it will all be integrated.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Considering you already have APs so dont need WiFi the UDM Pro SE might be your best bet it has POE to power your AP's but you are talking bigger money as well.

Bear in mind though that Unifi are going to release an update to the Dream Machine and are going to rename it to the Dream Router and this has POE as well Introducing: Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Router [Now In Early Access] - YouTube

Unifi do VOIP as well so it might integrate well with the Vodafone VOIP.

Once you start going down the Unifi rabbit hole is hard to come back out 😁 That saying I am fully invested in Unifi with a UDM Pro, 24 port POE switch, 5 APs and a G4 Pro outside camera and they all work together flawlessly and I am very happy with my setup

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

The problem with Vodafone VOIP is likely not the hardware, its that they wont give you the necessary details to run if on another device. I have yet to see anyone on here confirm they got it working on anything but Vodafone's own routers.

Advertisement