Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Equally there's people who seem chained to their desk and office always seem extremely busy but never actually seem to get much done. No one's measuring productivity either way so you're assuming the one at the desk is more productive but they might not be.

That's the whole premise of social events at work, team building exercises etc. So regardless of they don't work for you, they do generally work. It's also networking.

That people don't like to be social with their work colleagues and they don't want to be in the office are likely very much connected.

There are pros and cons to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Social events are for after work. And sure, let's include teabreak (I used to manage one, maybe two a week in the actual canteen, away from my desk). During work hours, I like to work - strange as it may seem. Pints, the odd Friday night after work? The occasional social event like a pub quiz or whatever? Yes, absolutely, I'll be there. If you're there too and still talking about that match from last weekend, I'll politely disengage and talk to someone else, because the office bore is still the office bore in social situations! 😘

People are not robots. They have complex social interactions in the workplace.

You might not value team building or socializing that's doesn't mean it has no value.

Companies wouldn't invest so much into it if the was no return. Similarly if you don't invest in something. It's going to be difficult to see or get any return from it.

Not everyone gets it though..

One of our senior managers who wants us to return to the office was suggesting that meetings in person or going for lunch with colleagues was something to return to the office for.

I had to bite my tongue because none of their team go for lunch together, and until lockdown never had team meetings. In fact unless attendance is specifically made mandatory most don't turn to to meetings. Because they feel have no active participation in them.

There is zero team spirit on that managers team. But they are oblivious to it all. They can't retain staff either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

People are not robots. They have complex social interactions in the workplace.

You don't think I get this? I'm interested in my how my colleagues are doing, and they me. How are you, how's the partner, how are the kids? Any craic at the weekend? Did you ever get that school place sorted? Oh, where did you book your holidays... etc., etc. That's all normal social interaction. Not a problem. It happens when people arrive in, on breaks, at the start of a meeting while you're waiting for everyone to arrive. It doesn't interfere with the job, it enhances it for those so inclined.

It's not what I was describing as a problem, which was:

The worst example is the Monday-morning wanderer. "Did you see the [random English soccer match]?" Cue 20 minute conversation about that match and how their fantasy football team fared. Someone else arrives in to the room. "Oh, hey - did you see the [random English soccer match]?" - and away they go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

So how many days are people back?

I’m back 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Back in 3 days a week from next week officially although manager actually roistered everyone in for 3 days this week while being out with covid herself. The nature of our works meant that we were going into the office numerous time a week anyway so no big change to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Still 2 days and hoping it stays like that with cost of fuel at the moment. If some Departments are doing 3 days now, it sounds like it's going to be 3 days in 2 days at home long term.

Also, with Covid numbers so high, is there really a need to increase it to 3 days right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

Really seems so backward and inflexible that we will be looking at a set number of days.

However my understanding is some Deparments with Dublin only offices are really struggling for space. Even more so now with a potential recruitment drive to deal with the Ukraine crisis.

Regarding staff coming in at the moment, my office is riddled with covid and people are still being asked to come in. However this week we have seen staff refusing as they don't understandably want covid and are working from home and working just as effective.

What really annoys me is there has been zero and I mean zero improvement in ventilation of any sort. It is as if covid never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

A couple of managers in our area have refused to bring their team back while Covid is still rampant (and this was before the current wave). So everything is still up in the air a bit with some in and some out, no real pressure despite top brass appearing very keen to get us back to the office as much as possible.

Not back yet, and no pressure from my supervisor to return.

I've heard from a few people who went back and left again within hours due to other staff members coughing and spluttering, no social distancing, no masks and lack of ventilation.

They literally said "Nope, not doing this!" and left. Can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If you’re told to go back to the office, how can you just decide not to? We were afraid of disciplinary action if we didn’t go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

It's a good question. If an office is riddled with covid and the employer has not taken any precautions like ventilation or mask wearing then maybe the place of work may be considered unsafe under health and safety legislation.

The civil service had two years to put this in place and didn't do a tap. Still no blended working policy and still no ventilation in offices.

If people can work just as well if not better from home why should they come in if the office is not safe?

The civil service needs to wake up to the flexibility being offered in other industries or it will get left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I'm public service and a good few colleagues have refused to return to the office citing their "vulnerabilities".

Which means mugs like me have to do their printing and posting on top of our own work.

Was in a very busy pub tonight and bumped into one of these "vulnerable", colleagues enjoying a drink amongst the crowd without a care in the world.

Gave her a wave and told her I'm glad she's feeling more comfortable about being out and about. but she didn't seem too happy when I said it to her for some reason!!!

I sent a text to my manager informing her of what happened and told her that from Monday, I will not be doing any printing or posting for this colleague.

I know I might regret it tomorrow when I sober up but I'm just sick of these c**ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Is there any sign of people pushing back? Seeking transfers? Mobility requests? I think some Departments/bodies will benefit from a more enlightened approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm public service and a good few colleagues have refused to return to the office citing their "vulnerabilities".

Which means mugs like me have to do their printing and posting on top of our own work.

Was in a very busy pub tonight and bumped into one of these "vulnerable", colleagues enjoying a drink amongst the crowd without a care in the world.

Gave her a wave and told her I'm glad she's feeling more comfortable about being out and about. but she didn't seem too happy when I said it to her for some reason!!!

I sent a text to my manager informing her of what happened and told her that from Monday, I will not be doing any printing or posting for this colleague.

I know I might regret it tomorrow when I sober up but I'm just sick of these c**ts.

Surely the CMO has to be involved in a case like that?

I'm not a civil servant, so this is based only on my company and observation of comments from politicians on not rowing back on easing of restrictions.

We have had staff in the office during the entire pandemic for jobs that can't be done from home as have other companies and the civil service without any issues arising.

It would appear that your union which is supposed to be a all powerful evil entity ramming it to the government and the rest of society going by the civil service bashers on here have abandoned ye on this, unless of course the feedback that they are getting from the majority of their members is that they want to return to the office.

Our HR is actively scanning our competitors announcements regarding returning to the office and head hunting their staff from them with the ability to work from home full time as a option

Given the really poor pay in the civil service and the difficultly they have recruiting staff for I.T. resulting in departments having to pay companies 800 euros a day for external contractors over long term projects, it is perhaps a possibility their skilled staff will move to the private sector as they will be better paid and have better benefits as well as those that they have I'm the civil service such as flexi.

Going back to the office won't affect me as I work from home and always have as it was something I negotiated as part of my contract when joining my current company. However for those who want to go back to the office they aren't being allowed until June at the earliest as the management feel that the way restrictions have been dropped especially around masks are a big mistake by the government. The government is even looking at reducing the isolation period now for people who are positive because they made a mess of this. While the prevailing variant is manageable for the majority of those who are vaccinated that might be workable, but not if a more serious variant arrives and the shock of having to reintroduce restrictions will have a greater effect than having left some in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'll take things that did not happen for €500 well the last part anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

My Department still 2 days in at the moment. I had assumed it would be going up 3 days from April but no word yet, apparently it was to be reviewed at the end of this month. I feel like it might stay at 2 for another while considering current Covid numbers but who knows

• Advertisement

Printing and posting?

We haven't printed or posted anything since March 2020.

Mine is 2 days also, to be reviewed in September.

We have had five resignations since October - all left to go to private sector roles who offered better money and full time remote working.

Some people went to the same company.

What has your management (PO and above) and Union attitudes been to this?

Are you in a department where they can be easily replaced or would it require a lot of up skilling for staff that would be transferred in or the hiring of external contractors to continue delivering the same level of service?

Shock, and "what the fcuk do we do now?"

Three of them will be very difficult to replace, and won't be replaced internally. Their roles will have to be advertised, but haven't been yet.

Two were general service grades who could be replaced interally, but haven't been yet (and honestly, I can't see them being replaced any time soon). Everyone else is just absorbing that work as best they can, but that's par for the course in the CS - if you absorb the work, it's assumed replacements aren't required.

(eta) to add, a number of older staff have expressed an interest in retiring rather than going back to the office.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

What kind of roles/companies did they leave for?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I know you’ve expressed hesitancy about it but would be good to know the general field within the civil service that you are in. I’d imagine some roles are far more suitable to a quick transition to private sector than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Very mixed bag in our place. Range between 0-3 days with each area doing their own thing.

Strange atmosphere at the moment. I don't think the staggered return to the office has gone well at all. Also feels like things are going downhill a bit with the amount of churn and retirements.

Every man for himself at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mrsgiller

Everyone back in office full time from next week in my department 😩

Advertisement