Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

Don't shoot the messenger.

The accommodation unit worked out how many lockers to install based on the numbers attending each day. AFAIK, there actually isn't enough desks anymore if every staff member was to attend on the same day.

As an aside, I commuted by motorbike for years once upon a time. Didn't need a locker to do it. Any cyclists I know just bring a spare change of clothes in a backpack and shower when they get to work. We do have lovely showers. There were no lockers at all, prior to WFH.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Any cyclist commuter I know brings a change in with them for working in. I don’t get why you’d need a full time locker tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,257 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You don’t want to be carrying shoes and washbag and worse still, shirt and suit in a bike backpack. Commuting by bike or running or even energetic walking works when you can leave most stuff in the office. There’s no way to carry an office shirt on a bike and look professional at the other end.

Like I said, don't shoot the messenger.

I have no skin in this, and didn't decide the locker policy. But anyone I know in my place who cycled in didn't seem to have an issues with there being no personal lockers at all before the pandemic.

Sorry I said anything. 🙄

OPW is fairly good at meeting this need. In newer buildings, it is fitting heated lockers, so you can dry off wet gear before heading home- sheer luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

The idea that you could bring shoes, a shirt, and a suit in with you on your cycle and then look professional when you get dressed is a fantasy tbh.

You'd look like you were dragged through a hedge backwards.

Interesting how complaint people seem to be with this downgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Because the vast, vast majority of civil servants don’t wear suits, and only a tiny percentage cycle to work

Those who just wear a suit, likely won’t be effected at all

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

True. Perhaps hotdesking maps on to depts with a more casual dress code so decisions being taken at a Departmental level works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭shmeee

Returned to office this week. Had a desk booked. Just had to bring in my notepad and that was it. Everything else I need is on the servers so don't require any files. Office was maybe 10% full at most, some sections had 1 or 2 souls in a section that could usually sit 100+. Sensor lights so looked like they were just sitting in darkness anytime I passed.

No issue with hot-desking what so ever for 1/2 day(s) a week in the office. I hate having extra stuff that I don't need on a desk or around me at work so suits me down to the ground.

Unlike some employees who would have half their house beside, under and on their desk.

General feedback after first few weeks is good in our department, have not heard any complaints or ares of annoyance yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I just need to keep shoes and trousers in the office, but they have to go somewhere (need a normal outdoor jacket, too, unless I want to look like Robocop and boil myself alive when I'm out and about at lunchtime)

Have to bring my laptop in every WFO day, too, there are screens but there are no PCs here any more.

Making people come in for no reason then not making sufficient accommodation for them is not on tbh. Treating staff like they're just interchangeable pegs in interchangeable holes. Well this peg can work just as well or better from my home.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

How do you get the shirt, suit, shoes and washbag into the office in the first place?

Can we PLEASE 🙏 not turn this into a thread about cycling, or cyclists.

Thank you.

By driving or taxiing in my case. Shirts never go home, and are sent out to laundry from the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Interesting, where did you keep your clothes before?

I wasn't, I was wondering how the poster got all his belongings to the office in the first place if they cycled everyday. I have never seen anyone having 5 suits left around the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Let be honest here, the people who NEED to wear a a suit into work and who want to cycle into work are such a small co-hort ther you could probably count on one hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You'd be wrong, though. I'm aware of many POs, several Assistant Secretaries and a Sec Gen who cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 is that a button

Not wanting to interrupt & divert the current conversation here!! 😊 ..But I would appreciate some advice from any of you currently working in Revenue. (Sorry this is off-topic but I really would really value advice from CS professionals!). I have just been placed on a panel for a Revenue position & I am wondering about providing references. I have 2 previous references ready to go! But I saw comments on previous threads that claimed Revenue insist on a reference from your current employer. Obviously I have not mentioned my intention to leave..I have a lot of responsibility in my current role & I fear my employer may not give a good reference if I leave. I have witnessed this previously with an excellent employee who previously left to work elsewhere. Can anyone confirm that a current employer reference is essential? If my employer doesn't provide them with a reference or gives a bad one could if affect my job offer? Is the reference check required by letter or phone?..as I know my employer would certainly not take their call! Any advice on this would be appreciated!!

From what I've read on other threads, your current employer's reference is essential.

BUT, in saying that, your employer cannot give you a "not good" or a "bad" reference without leaving themselves open to legal action if they did so, and it was untrue. Its a bit of minefield for them.

So, most referees just provide a letter confirming the person is/was employed by them, and the relevant dates, and no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Can you explain the shared workspace please? Is it different departments or organisations? Just I'd be concerned with information access, because people are generally crap at locking their computers.

It refers to shared workspaces Departmental colleagues. It basically means that no one who wfh is not entitled to their own individual office or desk.

• Advertisement

"Shared workspace" just means hot desks, basically. So you may be using a desk today, someone else may be using it tomorrow.

There has been some discussion around the possibility of some government buildings becoming multi-Department shared work hubs, where anyone from any department could book a desk, but if I'm honest, I think that's overly ambitious, fraught with potential security issues, and unlikely to come to fruition.

Though it would be a very interesting pilot, especially if done outside of Dublin.

More people cycle to work and college in Dublin than commute by DART, Luas and suburban rail combined. It's not a niche activity.

Depends on the circumstances - locker, back of office door, makeshift clothes hanger in a water tank access area, on a coat stand.

It was more awkward in the days when suits were generally expected. Now I have one suit jacket/trousers 'for emergencies' and the rest is business casual.

Working in a role where you are forced to wear a suit is a bit more of a niche activity in the Civil Service now a days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What about if you just want to wear a suit, even if you are not "forced"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can do that. You have loads of options available to you.

The civil service is a huge sprawling organisation with tens of thousands of employees. They’ll all have different needs and ‘wants’ and they’ve to make the decision on what’s best for the majority of staff (in order to get the work done).

There are compromises everywhere. The amount of people who wish to cycle to work AND wear a suit every day they attend their office in the civil service is minuscule.

If they have to compromise on that issue to allow the majority of people the opportunity to work from home (by the introduction of hot desk facilities), then so be it.

You can complain if you wish of course

One of the first things our Senior Management said when we were tasked with formulating a blended working policy for our Dept was "We are here to formulate a policy that works for the business needs and delivery of services by the Department. We are not here to formulate a policy to fit anyone's lifestyle choices."

You'd be amazed how many and the type of things people thought the department had an obligation to facilitate, that fell under personal choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can buy a Suit/Garment Pannier for a bike. Or use a different means of transport on the days you need to be suited and booted.

Not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 is that a button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Off topic but what is everyone's opinion, a CO here with management experience in the private sector I have a Masters degree and just returned to reskill with a hdip in Data Analytics.

Anyway my degree is heavily focus on programming and I'm wondering if there is many opportunities to use this in civil service? Would having this open up option to skip straight to the equivalent of HEO from CO?

Advertisement