Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culinary Chef Knives.

Options
  • 28-06-2021 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

So im looking to get a set of serious chef knives for myself as it's one thing im very passionate about is cooking (without having to do it as a profession) and id love a real set of chef knives for myself.

Someone had recommended to look on the nesbit site which i did but then it occured to me im not sure what would be the best brand to get and what thickness should i be looking for.

Anyone with any knowledge with these queries i have would be great.

Thanks
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

meeeeh wrote: »
    Antony Bourdain advises Global knives. If I remember correctly he preferred Japanese knives to European knives as better value and easier to maintain.

I think you might have that the wrong way around. Japanese knives are brilliant but the metal tends to be thinner so they are harder to maintain - you need to use a proper whetstone and proper technique to sharpen and maintain them, otherwise you'll ruin them.

Whereas with good quality European knives maintenance is much much more forgiving (as in you can sharpen them with a cheap ikea sharpener thing and they'll be just fine).

I'll give you a suggestion based on my own experience: I use ICEL knives - they're good enough that a few portuguese Michelin star level chefs use them, while still being inexpensive, and they have a lifetime warranty.

Advertisement