Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uk channels [Renamed]

• 29-06-2021 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I’m looking for some advice, I cancelled sky recently and it will be cut off soon. I can get saorview channels from an indoor aerial. I would like to be able to watch uk channels sometimes. I have an Apple TV 4K box and was wondering is there an app I can download to it that’ll allow me to watch uk channels.

I know eir has the eir tv app but you need to have eir broadband which I don’t have and don’t really want as I am currently getting over 100mbps with my 3 4g Mobile broadband and according to eir I’ll only get 30mbps if I got their broadband.

I was looking at tvmucho but they don’t have an Apple TV app and it would mean always having to cast from my phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Best option is get a dish to take advantage of Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Thanks for the replies. No it’s sky Q unfortunately so I have to return the equipment. Could I use the sky dish to connect to a combo box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

woodzie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. No it’s sky Q unfortunately so I have to return the equipment. Could I use the sky dish to connect to a combo box?

Yes, the dish will work but you will need to change the LNB if it's a Sky Q package you are on because the Sky Q LNB won't work for Freeview or Freesat afaik. LNB's are cheap enough so if you can access the dish easily it is an easy job.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Brilliant guys, I’m gonna go down the combo box route. Thanks for the advice.

Any Combo box recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

woodzie wrote: »
    Brilliant guys, I’m gonna go down the combo box route. Thanks for the advice.

Any Combo box recommendations?

Your best bet is look at threads like this on Boards https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117372149

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

con747 wrote: »
    Yes, the dish will work but you will need to change the LNB if it's a Sky Q package you are on because the Sky Q LNB won't work for Freeview or Freesat afaik. LNB's are cheap enough so if you can access the dish easily it is an easy job.

The Arris Freesat 4K box will work with the Sky Q LNB, unfortunately it is one of the more (most?) expensive receivers on the market - not to mention it hasn’t had the best reviews - and swapping the LNB and purchasing a cheaper receiver is probably the better approach. It might still be worth it though if you are not feeling confident about being able to swap the LNB yourself (high mounted dishes are a thing, at least around my way).

Just on Apple TV options, you don’t say which U.K. channels you want but All4 is available, you won’t be able to live stream but virtually all catch up and box sets content bar some sport is available.

Because of the way the thread has gone it has essentially become a satellite TV thread and I’ll move it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

An LG TV will seamlessly switch between Saorview & UK Satellite Channels. No extra boxes. It has a quick menu like speedial on your phone. Once set a Long press on 1 gives you Saorview and a long press on 2 Freesat. One remote control. No boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

con747 wrote: »

If they leave the dish and LNb then the OP could get a Freesat+ box which relies on the same v/H feed as Sky Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

ei9go wrote: »
    An LG TV will seamlessly switch between Saorview & UK Satellite Channels. No extra boxes. It has a quick menu like speedial on your phone. Once set a Long press on 1 gives you Saorview and a long press on 2 Freesat. One remote control. No boxes.

Thanks for suggesting this..I have an Arris box which I am just sick to my teeth of rebooting so tried connecting the satellite cable to the tv a(LG). Changed location on the tv to UK and did a scan of the satellite channels . Now I have all 150 channels and the epg seems to pull future days also which I was surprised at as I thought you could only see now and next ?? So in theory I can plug in usb at back and schedule freesat recordings just like the Arris box . And after I tune in rte I can have these on the same remote..great stuff..reason I am posting is that I am little surprised at the 7 day epg..will this disappear if I connect tv to internet.
    The only thing not working is the mini preview on the guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Thanks for suggesting this..I have an Arris box which I am just sick to my teeth of rebooting so tried connecting the satellite cable to the tv a(LG). Changed location on the tv to UK and did a scan of the satellite channels . Now I have all 150 channels and the epg seems to pull future days also which I was surprised at as I thought you could only see now and next ?? So in theory I can plug in usb at back and schedule freesat recordings just like the Arris box . And after I tune in rte I can have these on the same remote..great stuff..reason I am posting is that I am little surprised at the 7 day epg..will this disappear if I connect tv to internet.
    The only thing not working is the mini preview on the guide

Can't comment on the Internet part, just curious about the 7day epg, is it the same as on the Arris box, I have read comments that it wasn't the freesat epg and loaded slowly missing some details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

decor58 wrote: »
    Can't comment on the Internet part, just curious about the 7day epg, is it the same as on the Arris box, I have read comments that it wasn't the freesat epg and loaded slowly missing some details.
    It loads reasonably fast for me..maybe a slight 1/2 second delay while shifting right through the guide. When I reset the country to Ireland , it lost all the freesat channels and when I rescanned as Ireland, I got all these encrypted sky channels so obviously wasn't applying the freesat filter..so have left location of tv as UK and then rescanned freesat and rte ..happy with

Advertisement