Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire - why do car hire companies resist you transferring own ins ?

• 29-06-2021 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭

So I need a car for a week to hire while my own is repaired

Why so much resistance to swapping my ins to it for the week ?

An admin fee - ok

And you have to speak to a manager to ok it here ?

That's aside from contacting my ins co and a fee from them. I understand that.

Just focus on hire co

Why the resistance ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

One word. Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All hire cars have 3rd party cover as required by law, if you transfer your insurance it gets messy for the hire company and that's not their job.

If you want to transfer your insurance get a car from the garage, if you want to rent a car then you have to use their insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Rent a car via Nova and just get some cheap excess insurance for the week.

Does the garage you are getting the repairs have loaner cars as you can transfer your insurance to these quite easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I always just ring my insurance company and do a temporary substitution for the few days. For instance when my own car is getting serviced or repaired. Provided there is no massive difference in the cars (and there usually isn't because they always give you some cheap ****e) then its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You can't insure a car you dont own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BailMeOut wrote:
    Rent a car via Nova and just get some cheap excess insurance for the week.

This. When I hire a car I just get third party excess cover. No worry about insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

D3V!L wrote: »

You can insure a car you have an insurable interest in. This does not have to be ownership or anything close to ownership.

The admin effort is not insignificant to let someone do a temp transfer and ensure that only their insurance holds any liability, basically. The non-consumer facing parts of hire car firms that supply cars for insurers, repairers etc would be probably easier to deal with but probably don't want to deal with individual customers!

L1011 wrote: »
    You can insure a car you have an insurable interest in. This does not have to be ownership or anything close to ownership.

Exactly this... Enterprise in my experience, will encourage you to transfer your own insurance, if you have such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,140 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

D3V!L wrote: »

Of course you can. I've done it with loans from the garage when my own was in for services or repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Some insurance companies dont even need to be notified.
    Im with Aviva , and i was told i only need to tell them if i would have the loan car from the garage for longer than 7 days.
    No need to transfer insurance etc.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

greenspurs wrote: »
    Some insurance companies dont even need to be notified.
    Im with Aviva , and i was told i only need to tell them if i would have the loan car from the garage for longer than 7 days.
    No need to transfer insurance etc.

They need to give you an insurance disk for the 7 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't need an insurance disk for the first ten days of cover on a vehicle.

Advertisement