Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We need more Anton Savage

• 29-06-2021 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Listening to Anton covering The Hard Shoulder brought back to me just how good of a presenter he is.

His style of interviewing is laid back when it needs to be but he's not afraid to challenge and call out people.

Also doesn't take himself too serious.

WE NEED ANTON BACK ON RADIO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I liked when he subbed in for Ray D’Arcy on Today FM, and eventually took the slot. I know people have “issues” with him due to his mother and how their company has conducted itself but he does come across very well on radio.

Didn’t hear much of him on ‘The Hard Shoulder’ but I did hear him on with Dave Fanning, on 2FM, not too long ago. He would make a good addition to any station.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember him being decent the last time he was on, but lets be honest, the standard of radio host in this country isn't set very high, so he can't be any worse than what we have out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

For what it's worth, I think he is a very good radio presenter and contributor. I enjoyed his discussions about cars on The Last Word a number of years ago, even though I would not be that into that subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

For what it's worth, I think he is a very good radio presenter and contributor. I enjoyed his discussions about cars on The Last Word a number of years ago, even though I would not be that into that subject matter.

He actually did a piece on electric cars yesterday and seemed to have as much knowledge if not more than the gent he was interviewing.

With regard to his mother and the family business i personally couldn't care less.

Anton brings a smile to my face when i listen to him. That's very rare in Irish radio today.

Is he on all this week or was it just yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Can’t stand him or his mother - so much if I hear either the station gets changed quick smart

Well now that the new owners have brought him back into Marconi house, I'm sure he might be a regular fill in on Newstalk and maybe even the last word from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Well now that the new owners have brought him back into Marconi house, I'm sure he might be a regular fill in on Newstalk and maybe even the last word from now on.

there are quite a few fill in presenters on Newstalk's books at this stage...Mark Cagney etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

there are quite a few fill in presenters on Newstalk's books at this stage...Mark Cagney etc

Also: Adrian Kennedy and Sinead Ryan. I even heard Trish Laverty standing in for Ciara Kelly recently. She is the Group Deputy Head of News for Bauer Media Ireland, the new owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

He must have patched things up with Newstalk/TodayFM since their big falling out a few years ago. I expected he would appear back somewhere but never thought he would be back there.

• Advertisement

Yes Mark Cagney and Adrian Kennedy both on last week. Great to hear seasoned professionals, makes the awful daily presenters on Newstalk stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

He's an excellent broadcaster. Seems like a good guy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think Frank Greaney and Will O'Callaghan do a good job of filling in on The Last Word . No shortage of options.

I've never listened to Today FM, so hadn't heard him on the radio before.

Must say he sounds like a great broadcaster: clear, articulate, intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

He actually did a piece on electric cars yesterday and seemed to have as much knowledge if not more than the gent he was interviewing.

With regard to his mother and the family business i personally couldn't care less.

He is too comprised by his day job to host a current affairs program. You would have the ridiculous situation of him questioning someone who have been trained by The Communications Clinic in how not answer questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

He is someone that puts the work into any interview that he does, be it political or entertainment which means that he can through waffle but is also rounded enough that he can follow an interview off piste if it goes into the unexpected
    With all of that, he comes off as approachable and friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ahwell wrote: »
    He is too comprised by his day job to host a current affairs program. You would have the ridiculous situation of him questioning someone who have been trained by The Communications Clinic in how not answer questions.

A successor to Moncrieff? Wonder if he’d take a 9-12 weekend slot?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

A successor to Moncrieff? Wonder if he’d take a 9-12 weekend slot?

Yeah, a similar kind of show, as long as it doesn't involve some of his clients, but Moncrieff has said that he plans to keep going until he is carried out of the studio. Hopefully that's a while off yet. There's always Today FM for Anton, the people he fell out with would no longer be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ahwell wrote: »

Fully agree

And the unbearable smugness wafts from the speakers at times with him

He was on the Last Word last week and MAtt said "you're welcome back any time here"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Can't stand his mother, but that's his mother! He himself is an excellent broadcaster - I'd love to have him back with a daily show on Today FM, either a reprise of his old show or replacing Matt Cooper on The Last Word, who is getting softer and softer with interviewees over the years.

Advertisement