Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union reducing savings/deposit limit

• 29-06-2021 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My local credit union has wrote to me advising that from August they are limiting the amount of savings/deposit held on account.

I now have to look at options to move a decent chunk of savings to another institution for safekeeping .

It would be a large amount to transfer into my regular banking amount, what other options would people recommend i look into and would not cost me a lot in maintenance fees/charges etc ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Have you considerd State Savings.

Not sexy, but certainly better return than the Credit Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Have you considerd State Savings.

Not sexy, but certainly better return than the Credit Union.

Thank you , i will certainly check that out , i am not one for risking money/savings on investments, this could be a very good safe secure place to keep it for the next few years, no charges also a big plus.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Stave Savings are guaranteed, theres no investment risk. If you fancy checking every Friday, there is also Prize Bonds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Spocker wrote: »
    Stave Savings are guaranteed, theres no investment risk. If you fancy checking every Friday, there is also Prize Bonds

Thank you . Might throw a few quid into that as there’s no risk to it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

If you have a family member that’s a member of a credit union nearby I’ve found typically you can join that one too. Or if you have a family member who works for HSE you can join their credit union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you have a family member that’s a member of a credit union nearby I’ve found typically you can join that one too. Or if you have a family member who works for HSE you can join their credit union.

Not much addition as all Credit Unions are trying to reduce deposits. They're also paying little or no dividends. It's not worth moving money to another CU. If you want safe and risk & tax free throw a lump in to State Savings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Spocker wrote: »

Guaranteed by who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Guaranteed by who?

By the state...

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

By the state...

And heres the link to back that up: https://www.statesavings.ie/about-state-savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭1874

If you have any debts you could pay them off, subject to their Ts&Cs, that could save money.
    I wouldn't use up the entirety of liquid savings, just the most expensive ones, so possibly not even mortgage, just personal loans or unsecured debts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement