Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 wires

Options
  • 29-06-2021 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

When there were cameras put in my garage they used 2 pairs of the CAT 6 wires. Can the 2 remaining pairs be used for extending wifi to garage (blue and brown) and if it work does it matter what pins there connected to on the rj45 once both sides are the same?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It should work, but not as you stated. If they are terminated in an RJ45 plug and the cameras don't have external power, it most likely is a PoE system where both the data and the power are delivered from the main switch over the same cable.

Normally what would be done is adding an ethernet switch or AP (WiFi device) onto the end of the cable, and connecting the camera's to that device, but if you have a PoE system your switch would have to supply power and ethernet to the devices, and that's a bit more complicated.

So tell us if the system is PoE or whether the cameras have external power?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭caddy16

10-10-20 wrote: »
    It should work, but not as you stated. If they are terminated in an RJ45 plug and the cameras don't have external power, it most likely is a PoE system where both the data and the power are delivered from the main switch over the same cable.

Normally what would be done is adding an ethernet switch or AP (WiFi device) onto the end of the cable, and connecting the camera's to that device, but if you have a PoE system your switch would have to supply power and ethernet to the devices, and that's a bit more complicated.

So tell us if the system is PoE or whether the cameras have external power?

Sorry should have said they are not POE, they have external power.

Then throw a spare powered ethernet switch on one of the RJ45 connectors as a test. Wire up the camera to another port on the switch and see if both link-lights come up and do you get a connection.
    If so, then go ahead with adding an AP in place of the switch.

Then throw a spare powered ethernet switch on one of the RJ45 connectors as a test. Wire up the camera to another port on the switch and see if both link-lights come up and do you get a connection.
    If so, then go ahead with adding an AP in place of the switch.

The cameras are already wired up and operational. I can just see the spare wires in the junction box and wondering if I can use them now. Would prefer not to touch existing wiring. Sorry now but I'm not on the ball with this stuff, appreciate your replies.

A photo of these spare wires would be needed to understand better.

• Advertisement

A photo of these spare wires would be needed to understand better.

Ok thanks, will take later and put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

When there were cameras put in my garage they used 2 pairs of the CAT 6 wires. Can the 2 remaining pairs be used for extending wifi to garage (blue and brown) and if it work does it matter what pins there connected to on the rj45 once both sides are the same?

Thanks.

My understanding is that you need all eight Cat 6 wires to get speeds of 1000 but if you only use four, of the eight, wires then you can get speeds of 10\100.

Based on the above, I think you should be able to get a network connection running in the garage if you were careful about wiring it. It will be messy though I would sooner run a new cable (or two) to the garage and install a network that way. Depending on your skill level you could end up having to reinstall the camera wires too or having to pay for someone to do it for you..

Update to this. A mate of mine connected the 2 remaining pairs on the CAT6 to an rj45 at both ends, plugged in to one of my Deco M5 units and I have wifi working perfectly in garage. Getting about 30 Mbps which is more than enough for what I need. Thanks for the responses.

Advertisement