Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Another pilot event today in Croke Park. 8,000 fans was great, but the entire stadium was open so there was gigantic distances between groups. What are we learning from this compete nonsense?

I was at this, posted in the main thread about it too. Constant reminders to wear a mask while in the ground even during the games. Nonsense. No one was seated within at least 20 seats of me on either direction. A charade tbh. Great hurling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

JRant wrote: »
    Speaking of vast sums of money. Michael McNamara received a response from the HSE via a FOI request.

https://twitter.com/MlMcNamaraTD/status/1410932851005136901?s=19

Looks like the guts of 400 million has been spent to date on PCR testing. We'll probably clear half a billion before the year is out.

Its no wonder Ireland continues to have their daily cases while other much larger EU countries are posting lower numbers.

Ireland could test a packet of tayto and get a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's the usual "doing something to be seen to be doing something" bolloxology that we're great at. These sheep pen trials aren't worth a ha'penny f*ck. The last one didn't even allow people have a few drinks. There's nothing real world about them.

Exactly. The only thing it’s testing is how many asymptomatic people they can pick up using antigen testing.

The one in the Iveagh Gardens had no testing beforehand, but you couldn’t mix with anyone outside your pod/pen. This one has antigen testing, but you still can’t mix. What’s the point?!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Sheep penned in. Crowd look like they're having "fun".

What are we actually learning from nonsense like this? Shouldn't we be testing real world conditions or is this what is in store for us for the foreseeable future?

Jesus that's a sad image

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is this real? Daily Mail probably spoofing but if we miss the 19th for EU travel it'll actually be final confirmation we're a banana republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is this real? Daily Mail probably spoofing but if we miss the 19th for EU travel it'll actually be final confirmation we're a banana republic.
    I'd say that's a load of crap. Sunday Times says it's ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Exactly the only thing it’s testing is how many asymptomatic people they can pick up using antigen testing.

The one in the Iveagh Gardens had no testing beforehand, but you couldn’t mix with anyone outside your pod/pen. This one has antigen testing, but you still can’t mix. What’s the point?!

Optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Optics.

Optics for who though? So government ministers can pat eachother on their backs saying what a great job their doing. So civil servants can show the value of their worth to their department heads to show how proactive they are.

The general public can see through their optics and the ones that think its a great way to test crowded gatherings would never even be going to an event anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Optics.

Tony doesn't like optics, the virus loves the spirits they dispense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seems the north is enjoying a busy hotel period and financial boost thanks to our government.
    Makes my piss boil, we really screwed ourselves.
    Just such an embarrassment, in Poland now and here you can do pretty much anything. Only thing left is masks indoors and yet the uptake here is worse than Ireland.
    Just ridiculous. We can't even get the passport done right.
    ****in Disney land for a government without the fun.
    Plus, amazing how the indoor saga calmed down with the government now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Appearently according to the independent ministers were told there are a few issues to iron out such as what role if any do airlines play but as others have said Ireland is technically ready to join. It could be switched on in the morning if they wanted. As per the Irish times it's being looked at from the 19th to reopen hospitality, I'd say times might have better sources than the Irish daily mail.

This is also the mail which claimed to have seen irelands reopening plan back in late April.... turned out their guess was nowhere near reality

Appearently according to the independent ministers were told there are a few issues to iron out but as others have said Ireland is technically ready to join. It could be switched on in the morning if they wanted

This is also the mail which claimed to have seen irelands reopening plan back in late April.... turned out their guess was nowhere near reality

Which would mean what for anyone wanting to come to Ireland? The idiotic PCR test requirement right?

bear1 wrote: »
    Which would mean what for anyone wanting to come to Ireland? The idiotic PCR test requirement right?

It's still a requirement to have a negative test but I've heard myself of some people arriving in Dublin last few days with negative test on their digital cert and immigration having the ability to verify it, so there's clearly some level of the system functional in airports

It's still a requirement to have a negative test but I've heard myself of some people arriving in Dublin last few days with negative test on their digital cert and immigration having the ability to verify it, so there's clearly some level of the system functional in airports

I'm fully vaccinated and flying into Shannon on the 14th.
    Have to get the PCR as well (brilliant rationale) but this government is absolutely on the ball with ballsing things up.

I'm fully vaccinated and flying into Shannon on the 14th.
    Have to get the PCR as well (brilliant rationale) but this government is absolutely on the ball with ballsing things up.

Yup until the 19th unfortunately the only thing being vaccinated will get you out of would be MHQ if you were coming from a country on the list of course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Optics.

Don't forget the soundbites. MM will be able to say we are trailing large events "with a view to reopening" or some such inane drivel. Of course, he'll give zero details on when that may be other than sometime in the near future but that he is following public health advice.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

You spelled "gold standard" wrong there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Speaking of vast sums of money. Michael McNamara received a response from the HSE via a FOI request.

Looks like the guts of 400 million has been spent to date on PCR testing. We'll probably clear half a billion before the year is out.

Big figures, how does that compare to other countries?
    Should we test less to save money or charge the public for tests?

Ah the CT cycle question, always good to stir up the false positives/picking up historic infections issue that's been debunked so many times.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Big figures, how does that compare to other countries?
    Should we test less to save money or charge the public for tests?

Ah the CT cycle question, always good to stir up the false positives/picking up historic infections issue that's been debunked so many times.

No idea how it stacks up to other countries. It is a lot of money for this country though.

What sort of oversight is being carried out?

What was the tendering process for awarding such large contracts?

These are reasonable questions to be asking.

I don't care about the cycle numbers given in the other response being honest. It's a little misunderstood so people get their knickers in a twist over it. In fact I did as well at the start until it was explained to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

You actually couldn't pay me enough to go to a 'penned in' concert. I wouldn't bother wasting my time.

Your mistake there was calling it a 'concert'. That was not a concert like it goes against everything a concert is meant to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No idea how it stacks up to other countries. It is a lot of money for this country though.
    It's a **** load of money, however, we simply don't know if we're paying 10x what other countries pay or the same as they pay.
    What sort of oversight is being carried out?
    Absolutely no clue tbh.
    What was the tendering process for awarding such large contracts?
    It's over the amount where it would need to go to a European tender, we can have a bidding war for a few weeks and find the cheapest price, it may involve shipping samples 1000 miles away and results back in a week..... realistically the contract would be staying in Ireland (for obvious reasons). Testing capacity was so hampered initially, so I highly doubt there was any labs who could have done PCR tests that was overlooked.
    These are reasonable questions to be asking.

I don't care about the cycle numbers given in the other response being honest. It's a little misunderstood so people get their knickers in a twist over it. In fact I did as well at the start until it was explained to me.
    Glad you get the CT numbers, it annoys me that's still being brought up.

That was on the 30th April- over 2 months ago.

jeez i could have swore it was only the other day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

I didn't think it could get worse than the Iveagh Gardens incident but...I genuinely don't know what to say.

Friend of mine who works in the media was there. Says it was great for the headlines but, not the true story

I honest to God have no words...

Ha, I really want to type something but nothing is coming to mind... I never saw this coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I'd rather get covid than watch Gavin James but that aside, I don't understand what they're testing with these 'test events'. We already know that if you're outdoor and social distanced it's going to lesson/eliminate spread.

So what is the point of a hosting an gig like this?

Do they think this is what events will be like now? Segregated cattle pens, are they taking the piss?

Why not do pre-testing and do an outdoors event with no distancing, then post-testing 72 hours later? We might actually learn something.

As for this:

20210704-070105.jpg

Absolutely pathetic, and really bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

Watching Wimbledon centre court yesterday and reading the last page of this thread. The mind boggles. I just knew we’d f**k this up. I just under estimated how much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I'd rather get covid than watch Gavin James but that aside, I don't understand what they're testing with these 'test events'. We already know that if you're outdoor and social distanced it's going to lesson/eliminate spread.

So what is the point of a hosting an gig like this?

Do they think this is what events will be like now? Segregated cattle pens, are they taking the piss?

Why not do pre-testing and do an outdoors event with no distancing, then post-testing 72 hours later? We might actually learn something.

As for this:

20210704-070105.jpg

Absolutely pathetic, and really bizarre.

Straight out of China that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He could have called Paul Reid! These numbers were projected very early last year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-test-and-trace-system-could-cost-700-million-says-hse-chief-paul-reid-1.4367357

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Am I the only clown still checking in on that covid tracker app?

They haven’t updated case numbers since 29th of June and haven’t updated vaccine numbers since 11th of May.

Don't think Ireland will ever be the same again.
    Sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Relax brah wrote: »
    Am I the only clown still checking in on that covid tracker app?

They haven’t updated case numbers since 29th of June and haven’t updated vaccine numbers since 11th of May.

Downloaded it the day it was launched, deleted it a week later, and have never reinstalled it since.

Advertisement