Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Indoor retail is required to wear them so if you were getting your coffee at a Centra/Spar you legally have to wear them

For me it's a grey area if you're in a cafe looking for a takeaway whether it's hospitality or retail

Staff in both locations have to wear them so there's probably a lot of confusion on that

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

It was a stand-alone coffee shop so not the issue. But I think you hit the nail on the head regarding confusion. I still see a lot of people putting masks on going into pubs and restaurants only to whip them off seconds later. No one really knows what they’re required to do anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Yeah, my understanding from my folks that live in Spain is that each local area/government can decide what restrictions to bring in themselves for the most part.

hence why Barcelona had a curfew at Xmas but no other Region in Spain I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Honestly most main stream media I would follow is fairly quiet on covid in general. If you want a dose of covid bad news you need to visit this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree. I spent a lot of time railing against the media on here (and elsewhere!) but am delighted to report that they have largely relegated Covid to the back pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The reality being that we had the highest 7-day death numbers in almost a year this week. Yet because the desired narrative is now that everything is fine, the focus instead was on the other figures and the overall view is optimistic.

Deaths were lower eight weeks ago when Holohan said that number was unacceptable, and Christmas must be curtailed. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/seven-deaths-a-day-means-christmas-must-be-curtailed-dr-tony-holohan-issues-list-of-proposed-curbs-41115521.html

But that's been the case throughout the pandemic. Decide what your narrative is first, then cherry-pick whatever stats match that. Carefully word your statements so you can't be accused of actually lying. It's been a political masterclass, but not much science behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Deaths are a lagging statistic, admissions are down, ICU is down, time to step out from behind the curtain.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Would have been in a great position this time last year if we had 600k cases in two months don’t you think?

Is it that hard to see that a 2.6% CFR on feb 3rd last compared to 0.2% today with f all testing is a totally different world?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

The vaccine stats are not so critical any more. Natural immunity has been shown to be just as effective as the vaccine and it would seem that the more people that get natural immunity right now from this latest mild variant, the better - that way we might get closer to herd immunity. If large numbers have the virus but increasingly few are presenting with serious symptoms - that is a GOOD thing, ultimately. And from what I understand, natural infection with one variant might even increase your immunity to whatever variant comes along next.

Look at Denmark, which has dropped all its restrictions on the basis that it can't stop the spread anyway.

As for the vaccine boosters, high spec masks, testing etc - for the vast majority of healthy people, trying to adhere to all of that stuff is probably more stressful than actually getting Omicron itself. I have a relative who believes that the media is now 'hiding' the true numbers and that the outlook is dire. She won't allow visitors unless they adhere to a whole list of conditions. She is stressing herself to pieces.

You can look around you and see how little impact the virus is now having. You don't need all the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement

Does anyone think the need to isolate will be dropped soon like Denmark and the UK are planning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I dont bother with the mask anymore. When I say anymore I mean the last 2 weeks. I haven't once being told to wear one but maybe people are slow to take issue given the caveman type look I have at the moment and perhaps there is no point reasoning with a caveman. I am seeing more and more people in hospitality not wearing one and some customers also. Having said that I would say compliance is still up around high 90's% amongst general public. I think slowly but surely over the late Spring/early summer when the sun heats the darling buds of May more and more people will discard the mask if they haven't been removed from public health mandates before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I remember visiting Asia a few years ago and finding it completely alien and strange how random people were wearing masks going about their business. But they had the experience of swine flu etc. My guess is that in the future, some people will continue to wear masks even if it isn’t mandated by the government. There will be vulnerable people (e.g. those who will be receiving cancer treatment) who choose to do this. There will also be some people who have a cold and are trying to minimise spreading it (this happens in Japan a lot). Mind you, I think it will only be a tiny percentage of people wearing masks on the average day but I don’t think mask wearing is going to entirely disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I'm sixty odd and had asthma,although, not an issue for me these days, but who knows what happens if I get the virus. I and most people I know have no intention of putting themselves out there as normal, even a couple I know that lived in the pub at weekends have not gone near it yet. The probability is that if you just go back to normality, willy nilly, your're going to catch it with the cases still way too high, and unfortunately the older punters are in the firing line! And the outcome is far from certain then. If cases drop right down (and if they don't someone is fooling us) fair enough let's get out there and get that foreign holiday booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

And if you wish to cocoon that's fine. Just don't expect everyone else to put their lives on hold for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Are you not vaccinated?. If you are chill and don’t expect younger healthy people to sacrifice their young lives permanently, Covid is here to stay and cases may never get much lower. If you’re that worried bolt yourself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Before I get all ranty, are you just making a general comment about your situation, or are you expecting restrictions on the rest of the country to remain in place, just so that you can to feel protected?

I believe that most of the mask wearing you see in Asia, aside from Japan, is due to smog and air pollution, and not so much in the way of disease prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I don't expect anyone to scarific anything for me, but I am just stating the way it is for many in this age group. I realise there are many more in this age group who are living as if never a pandemic and my best to them!

BTW everyone gets old, and believe me it goes by in a flash so enjoy yourselves! I'm just glad I've been to every country in the world that I had any interesting visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

My mom is the same age bracket, takes her precautions, she hasn't caught it yet.. I have almost been guilty of secretly hoping she catches a very mind dose of covid and so then she can move forward less fearful .. it has not been easy, and I can understand the level of caution some people are taking. Speaking for my own mother, she listens very carefully to the news and follow as she is asked to. She equally understands we need to move forward too.. it can be conflicting.

I hope you get to travel again, if thats what you'd like to do, and I hop we can ALL , in all age groups move on from this. 😊

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I haven't once being told to wear one but maybe people are slow to take issue given the caveman type look I have at the moment and perhaps there is no point reasoning with a caveman.

I don't think that's it. I'm a pretty diminutive woman and nobody's said anything to me either.

I do have a serious case of RBF, though. Could be that.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

Not in my experience. I lived in Japan for a number of years. When they are worn its is primarily because they have a cold or a flu and they dont want to pass it on. So many people are packed in everywhere, cheek to jowl, particularly on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Yes, that is my experience too and the air quality in Japan is quite good actually.

I excluded Japan from my smog comment, I was referring to almost everywhere else in Asia with regards to smog. I've been to Japan a few times, and from memory, there are signs in the metro advising people wear masks out of courtesy, but only if they were ill.... not that they're worth a toss anyway.

Still, it's better to be seen doing something, rather than nothing at all, right?

I thinks its just better to so something rather than nothing. As do many Asians. Masks work, so people in Asia have always worn them. Whether its to keep smog out, or germs in.

Do you genuinely believe that a decent face mask does absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of disease? Because if that is the case then I think I'll just roll my eyes in real life and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Do you have anything remotely resembling evidence for the alleged lack of effectiveness?

Masks are nothing but window dressing, just for the sake of being seen to be doing something.

I've been pulling the same unwashed rag out of my pocket since masks were introduced, and I've never worn it properly.

I've had enough of the damned things, and will not hear a good thing said about them.

• Advertisement

I think the rampant covid infections over the Christmas period, when mask wearing was required almost everywhere, tells you all you need to know about the effectiveness of masks.

Advertisement